David Archuleta | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

David Archuleta Takes on Latin Ballad, Delivers

Archie

David Archuleta delivered a stunning rendition of the Luis Miguel track "Contigo En La Distancia" at the ALMA awards, which aired on Friday night.

Said Archuleta: "It was my first performance on an awards ceremony, and my first time performing on TV in Spanish! I have to say I was pretty stinkin’ nervous. I sang ‘Contigo en la Distancia,’ which is one of my favorite songs to sing so I’m really glad I got to sing it. I was so happy to be able to do it for all the Latin people too! I owe so much to the Hispanic culture since my mom and all of her family are Hispanic, and it’s definitely had a huge impact on the way I am."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Referring to "Contigo en la Distancia" as a "Luis Miguel track" is kind of like calling, I don't know, "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" a "Britney Spears track."

Yes, he recorded it, but it's an old classic from the fifties, recorded by tons of singers over the years. I think the original artist was Lucho Gatica, from Chile.

As to this performace...in this era of Auto-Tune, it's nice to see a young singer capable of putting a song across live using just his own voice and a simple acoustic guitar accompaniment.

Posted by: ezwriter | Sep 21, 2009 10:21:33 PM

2. Someone please ask him to open his eyes.....

Posted by: Jon Brian Blake | Sep 21, 2009 10:38:22 PM

3. he can be my little pork chop any day

Posted by: KT | Sep 21, 2009 10:49:37 PM

4. just enjoy the goddamn song, bitches!

Posted by: David T | Sep 21, 2009 10:52:23 PM

5. I don't speak a word of Spanish but that made me cry a little

Posted by: hall | Sep 21, 2009 11:12:12 PM

6. Gorgeous vocals! Such a sweet and soulful young man. I knew his mother's heritage but I had no idea he could sing in Spanish. Lovely!

Posted by: sparks | Sep 21, 2009 11:14:59 PM

7. i could just eat his little ass

Posted by: cueylove | Sep 21, 2009 11:35:03 PM

8. ¡Como palpita mi pobre corazon!

Posted by: Rick | Sep 21, 2009 11:44:34 PM

9. EZWRITER I was going to post the exact same comment about referring to the song as a Luis Miguel song. It is just wrong.

Posted by: antonio | Sep 21, 2009 11:52:09 PM

10. Class Act with a Great Voice!

Posted by: Jake | Sep 22, 2009 12:09:57 AM

11. David just got off of tour, so his voice is in a great place.

Posted by: Billy | Sep 22, 2009 12:13:54 AM

12. he enunciated the words perfectly. i am happy to see a young man from the new generation not abandoning his culture. he is an angelic boy with a beautiful voice.

Posted by: nic | Sep 22, 2009 12:13:55 AM

13. David Archuleta proves why he is the best male pop singer in the business today with this stunning performance. Wow, just wow.

Jive Records needs to step up their game – this dude is a winner, and deserves the best team of songwriters, songs, producers and promotion at his disposal. Wow, just wow.

Oh - that hooded/closed eye look only adds to the smoldering sexiness of his performance... sexy as hell, if you ask me.

Posted by: sean | Sep 22, 2009 12:45:39 AM

14. fricking fabulous!

Posted by: randy | Sep 22, 2009 12:57:23 AM

15. Well, well... it's about time you bitches woke up to the fact that David is one muy caliente singer! I've always recognized the latent hotness and the sexay Latin beast behind that shyness - and does he ever bring it with this song. I don't have to understand a word - I feel every note, I feel the passion... Gimme more David, gimme more!

Posted by: Midnight Dream | Sep 22, 2009 2:21:59 AM

16. A beauty - both the song, and the singer... David has a Christmas cd due out on 10/13... he's rumored to be singing one song in Spanish, and one in French on it... I think I'll be buying a Christmas cd for the first time in years... if anyone can make Christmas tunes sexy, he can.

Posted by: robert | Sep 22, 2009 2:44:36 AM

17. That was awful. I think people who thought this was good most likely don't listen to very much Latin music. Enter the title into youtube. You'll understand what I'm talking about.
    Luis Miguel did an incredible version of this song, The Tito Puente Orchestra did a great cover also. It's considered a bolero and it's from 1953. Many Mexican singers have recorded it, including Christina Agulera.
    Archuleta's voice is too imature for this song right now, give him time.

Posted by: Scot | Sep 22, 2009 2:48:19 AM

18. Oh, now Scot. I love David Archuleta. I think he's such a little hottie and I like his voice. There are a zillion songs I'd love to hear him cover. But I suspect you might know this area well, and might have a point. I know how much it irked me when people were praising that Andrea Bocelli doing (ruining) Nessun Dorma.

Posted by: JT | Sep 22, 2009 2:59:52 AM

19. @scot,

christina aguilera is not mexican. nor is she mexican-american. i listened to mexican music since i was a kid while my mother had her radio tuned to mexican stations. if you can't tell the difference between cuban-americans and mexican-americans, why should anyone trust your taste in music? the musical genres are derived from different sources.

Posted by: nic | Sep 22, 2009 3:12:18 AM

20. @ Nic

Christina Aguilera is of Ecuadorian and Irish descent not Mexican or Cuban.

David Archuleta was good, not great, but not bad. I couldn't really understand his spanish though.

Posted by: calkid | Sep 22, 2009 3:35:17 AM

21. luis miguel is mexican, tito puente was puerto rican with cuban influences, and christina is of ecuadorean decent. david archuleta's mom is of honduran descent, while his father is of spanish, irish, etc descent. not everyone who speaks spanish is mexican.

Posted by: nic | Sep 22, 2009 3:41:27 AM

22. i beg to differ scot. i am latino, and have listened to a hell of a lot of latin music, all my life, but that doesn't give me a leg up in being able to discern great vocals or authenticity when i hear it.... archuleta has the phrasing and pronunciations down cold, the tone and all the nuances are spot on in this rendition.

continued

Posted by: part 1 | Sep 22, 2009 5:00:55 AM

23. the power, and magic of this performance lies in the very fact that david makes you understand the fire, the longing, the passion in this song, without understanding a word. he has an endearing quality of vulnerability that distinguishes him from luis miguel, and other male singers in the pop game. miguel is the more stereotyical ''macho'' latin singer... david has traces of that, but his vocals are more fluid, strong, yet appealingly vulnerable... men and women eat that kind of tenderness up.

Posted by: part 2 | Sep 22, 2009 5:01:57 AM

24. the mark of a master singer is being able to convey and relate the message of a song, through the sheer beauty and power of the vocals. david transcends the language barrier here, and goes straight to the listeners senses - powerful stuff. and who says you must have to grow into something, or have experience of it to be able to sing about it... if we applied that same line of reasoning, haley joel osment wouldn't have been so convincing in ''the sixth sense'', cause it's doubtful he had ever really seen dead people... singing and acting go hand in hand, in that the great ones are able to get inside the character, inside the song, and use their abilities to relay the message in a way that is utterly credible, and authentic. the overwhelming opinion in the latin community, and the latin press is that he was and did both. and the mainstream media is beginning to finally see the light... this dude ain't no joke, and i predict that very soon, there will be a major shift in what is recognized on the charts and in the media as real talent... archuleta is going to be leading the way.

Posted by: part 3 | Sep 22, 2009 5:02:38 AM

25. I don't have to know much about Latin music to know when I'm hearing good stuff - and this is some mighty good stuff David is laying down. The only immaturity I see is the stubbornness and pride on many people's part who had this guy all wrong from his days on Idol, and the attempts in the media to slant coverage to diminish him... it didn't work, and those who still refuse to see what is staring them in the face are to be pitied. Archuleta is one heckuva badass singer, who can sing anything... anything.

Recognize.