Disgraced Assemblyman Michael Duvall Refuses to Admit to Affair

Assemblyman Michael Duvall, who resigned on Wednesday after he was caught describing the sordid details of an affair with a lobbyist on a microphone he didn't realize was on, is refusing to admit he had an affair(s):

Duvall  "Mike Duvall stepped down Wednesday after a videotape surfaced in
which was overheard telling a lawmaker about having sex with a lobbyist
and another woman, including salacious details about how one mistress
wears skimpy underwear and likes to be spanked. The 54-year-old
Republican is married with two adult children. But Duvall said Thursday that his "decision to resign is in no way an admission that I had an affair or affairs." 'My
offense was engaging in inappropriate storytelling and I regret my
language and choice of words. The resulting media coverage was proving
to be an unneeded distraction to my colleagues and I resigned in the
hope that my decision would allow them to return to the business of the
state,' he said in a statement posted on his Web site."

Leaders in California's LGBT community were speaking out about Duvall's record. Said Lorri Jean (below, left) of L.A.'s Gay & Lesbian Center:

Lorrijean  "Even as he resigns in shame, former California Assemblymember Michael Duvall
is wallowing in hypocrisy. While engaging in extra-marital affairs, he used
'family values' as a justification to vote against every bill that would have
provided any measure of equal treatment or fairness to LGBT people. He used
the same justification to support taking away the lawful right of same-sex
couples to marry.

"Now he has the temerity to protest that his adultery (with lobbyists) 'is a
private matter' and asks that 'everyone respect the privacy of all involved?!'

"People should respect his privacy when he never respected the privacy of
loving same-sex couples? We should respect his privacy even though HE is
reported to have bragged to colleagues about his sexual exploits? And by the
way, where was their outrage? How many 'family values' conservatives knew what
their brother was up to, voyeuristically listening to his stories but never
speaking out against him or his behavior? How deep is the bench of 'family
values' conservatives who are similarly engaged?

"It's Duvall's hypocrisy regarding his infidelity that makes him so especially
despicable."

The Courage Campaign has called on California's Attorney General Jerry Brown to investigate. Said Chair Rick Jacobs: "While Assemblyman Duvall has been fighting to make marriage a privilege
for heterosexual couples only, he’s been making a mockery of the
institution in the California State Assembly, bragging to other elected
officials about raunchy details of his affairs."

Comments

1. Paul R says

Lies like this really boggle the mind. “Storytelling”? Does he honestly expect anyone to believe that?

“Yeah, I resigned because I told a detailed, ribald story about having sex with a woman who exists. But really, it was all in fun. I was lying about the sex, and I’m definitely not lying now.”

How many wounds can the GOP self-inflict?

2. Alexander says

Typical Republican scumbag, refusing to take personal responsibility for anything. I swear if we presented these asshats with video of them fucking babies, they’d deny it happened and knuckle-dragging colleagues would rush to their defense, saying it was a vast left-wing conspiracy to discredit them.

Absolutely pathetic.

This country needs an enema.

3. Paul says

“Family Values” California state assemblyman representing Orange County, Republican Michael D. Duvall, resigns for apparently not cheating on his wife. Well you have to take his word for it, or maybe believe that hypocrisy has been bred in. In my opinion the Republican Party has been taken over the most extreme religious right (people who love to push their beliefs on others while trying to take away rights of those they just hate) and that’s who they need to extract from their party if you real want to win. Good Luck, because as they said in WACO, “We Ain’t Coming Out”.

4. Reggie says

I don’t understand how he can claim he did not have an affair or affairs, after having bragged about it… up to and including the “dripping” description. What am I missing here? Good riddance to a hypocrite!!! One more repug bites the dust. It is so good to know that the sanctity of marriage is so well defended by the likes of this douche bag.

5. walter says

Swagart,Baker Foley, Crai Duvall ,Haggart, Oreilly Delay Limbaugh, Ensign,Sanford Ginrich, Allen, Murray if these are the kind of people leading the charge of the defense of marriage both marriage and the republican party are heading into the crapper. If this is the moral majority please leave me me with the immoral minority

6. Ted says

Walter, thanks for the start but you left off so many! This stuff is great for Democrats, until the next Dem gets his hand caught in the honey pot. Bound to happen. Remember Bill & Monica wasn’t that long ago, and our Secretary of State said it was a vast right wing conspiracy.

Any way, as noted the key element here is hypocrisy and that needs to be brought to forefront.

Andy, how about an online poll – “who’s more hypocritical, a republican or a catholic priest?”

7. Paul says

Better yet. Republican 2009 Summer of Love: Assemblyman Michael Duvall, Senator John Ensign (NV), Senator Paul Stanley (TN), Governor Mark Stanford (SC), SC Board of Ed Chair, Kristin Maguire.

8. Latebrosus says

I really don’t believe that extramarital affairs bother anyone anymore, conservative or liberal. We can talk until we’re blue in the face about how we view these louses as hypocritical, and I don’t think conservatives care one whit. The case of Bristol Palin made clear to me that the “sanctity” of marriage, according to right-wingers, is no longer–or perhaps never was–the idea of a lifelong partnership with someone of the opposite sex (I mean, come on, divorce has become okay thanks to Henry VIII all the way back in the 16th century). The “sanctity” that they really refer to is a religiously recognized relationship in which two people are allowed to make babies. That’s all that matters to them. They value much more highly “Be fruitful and multiply” than any other Biblical injunction (well, and that one crazy verse in Leviticus). That’s why they get unhinged about abortion, and they’re so wildly lunatic about gay marriage because gay marriage is a double whammy: two people not only unable to produce children through “normal” sex, but totally violating Leviticus at the same time! Their heads are literally exploding!

9. walter says

i wonder if there is a committee of the republican party who teaches the wives how to sniffle and sing stand by your man. arent the log cabin republicans ready to desert yetHow much longer will they pay lip service to these ass wipes leading the republican party they sent nominatig petitions for my signatures i threw them off my property which was because the guy was cute

10. John says

Actually, the current group of federal Democrats are pretty much asexual. I’d be very surprised if any of them stumbled into a sex scandal anytime soon.

– Nancy Pelosi heading off to her secret love nest with a lover?

I don’t think so.

– Barack Obama doing prostitutes on the side?

He didn’t earn that “most boring black man in America” title by chasing booty you know.

– Harry Reid?

He’s a Mormom. He already has many wives.

– Biden?

– Clinton?

The Republicans have accused her of everything from killing Vince Foster to being a closeted lesbian. I think they’ve used up all their Hillary tokens already.

11. says

Thanks for sharing this information. Hope to get more updates from you on this matter. Michael Duvall, former legislator from the California state legislature, is not what would be called “smart.” In fact, the opposite – this vicious dunderhead Michael Duvall was caught bragging about cheating on his wife with Heidi Dejong Barsuglia, a lobbyist. This gets better – he consistently runs on the Family Values bit, which is ironic, in that part of that family values set is one of the 10 rules you aren’t supposed to break. You know the one I mean; “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” Oh – and she’s married too. Some family values. What this means is that Michael Duvall and Hedi’s spouses will be serving papers – and getting successful requests for “my cash now!”

12. Paul says

But let’s get back to the real problem of political corruption, does anyone think this will get investigated and that things he voted on will need to be affirmed by the remaining members or will nothing happen? Do I hear Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” playing in the background? I remember not so long ago that other Orange County song favorite, “Stand By Your Tan” (for Tan Nguyen). But that’s another Orange County fool.