Alan Cumming | California | Crime | Fashion Men | Florida | Fort Worth | Gay Adoption | Gay Bar | Gay Marriage | Ian McKellen | Janet Jackson | Madonna | Mika | New Jersey | New York | News | Richard Hatch | South Africa | Space | Tyra Banks | Whitney Houston

News: Caster Semenya, Asbury Park, Alan Cumming, Tyra Banks

RoadNY Sex offender who beat gay man to death gets 20 years for manslaughter.

Astronomy RoadAstronomy Photographer of the Year competition winners announced.

RoadIf looks could kill: Cynthia McFadden is not afraid to go there with Tyra Banks.

RoadREPORT: South African runner Caster Semenya has no womb or ovaries. "Tests conducted during the world athletics championships in Berlin last month, where Semenya's gender became the subject of heated debate following her victory in the 800m, revealed evidence [of] both male and female sexual characteristics."

RoadThe NYT visits a revived Asbury Park, NJ: "As is often the case in a town in a process of renewal, gay men and lesbians have a significant presence and deserve considerable credit for the current reawakening."

RoadMadonna to introduce Janet at VMA's?

RoadFederal regulators side with gay adoptive father in Florida over subsidy to foster parents.

RoadWATCH: Whitney Houston's video for "I Look to You".

Alancumming RoadAlan Cumming to release album: "The album title comes from the naturalization test I took to become a citizen of the U S of A. In the test, there is a bit where the man says a sentence and you have to write it down to prove your prowess in English. My sentence was ‘I bought a blue car today,’ which initially I thought was really sweet and childlike, but on closer examination I realized that it’s all about consumerism and gas guzzling, which rather brilliantly encapsulates America’s financial and energy crises in one fell swoop. [The album is] made up of songs and stories about my ten years living in the states culminating in my becoming a citizen."

RoadInterview with Sacramento man who is trying to get a voter's initiative on the ballot in California that would ban divorce.

RoadVampire gives blood.

RoadSotomayor questions "corporate personhood".

Tmagazine RoadActor Michael Fassbender covers fall issue of NYT T Men's Fashion mag.

RoadKids grow up so fast.

RoadGuilt-free download of Mika's new song "Blame It On The Girls".

RoadFort Worth gay bar Stampede heavily damaged in fire: "Then, just before 2 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10, a fire broke out in a storage area at Stampede and quickly spread to the rest of the building, causing $60,000 worth of damage. The cause of the fire was believed to be electrical, and authorities don’t suspect any foul play."

RoadIan McKellen to receive lifetime achievement award at San Sebastian Film Festival in Spain.

RoadBarry Manilow and Phil Spector: separated at birth?

RoadACLU wants Survivor winner Richard Hatch freed from jail: "Lawyers for the ACLU of Massachusetts on Wednesday sought the “Survivor” winner’s release from the Barnstable County jail in Bourne. Hatch was taken into custody Aug. 18 at his sister’s Newport home after giving TV interviews that the federal Bureau of Prisons said it had not approved. He was serving home confinement for failing to pay income taxes on his $1 million prize for winning the first season of the show. He was convicted in Providence in 2006...The ACLU said Hatch has a right to criticize the government."

Comments

1. I know Obama hasn't done enough yet to earn "fierce advocate", but some things truly are better. When my husband, son, and I returned from Italy this summer, customs/immigration allowed us through with one landing card—recognized as a "household" for the first time.

And the above support of the gay adoptive father wouldn't have happened under W.

We're going from this Washington (state) to that Washington (district) for the Equality March to pressure Obama for more. Are you?

Posted by: David R. | Sep 11, 2009 3:40:52 PM

2. I loled at the Alan Cumming album cover. When you read the description it makes a lot more sense, but when you just see the cover with that picture and those words, it just looks CRAZY.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 11, 2009 3:42:53 PM

3. Wes, I'm not sure how the description makes that picture any less unappealing! It's an odd choice.

Even odder, though: why is the ACLU defending Richard Hatch? I thought it was pretty clear that he wasn't allowed to give interviews as a condition of his probation. He did, so they put him back in prison. Maybe I'm biased against him for being obnoxious, but his doesn't seem like a free speech case.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 11, 2009 4:14:27 PM

4. Well yea, the description helps with the title of the album. The picture can't really be salvaged though.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 11, 2009 4:29:03 PM

5. Watch Andy!!

youtube.com/watch?v=rwRqD4Kmiy4

Posted by: hey | Sep 11, 2009 4:48:33 PM

6. True on both counts.

I missed them the first time round, but those pictures of Anna Nicole's daughter and her gay dad are rather unsettling. So staged. I guess he figured it was time to put his meal ticket in the public eye, since by age 3 all kids are ready for the media. That always works out so well.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 11, 2009 4:50:01 PM

7. I believe that Manilow's appearance is just another example of what Simon Doonan(on the series Beautiful People) called-Men who have had eyelifts and now look like old lesbians. In the series Doonan commented that Spector, Tony Curtis and Dennis Leary all suffers from that syndrome.

Posted by: Dick | Sep 11, 2009 5:34:46 PM

8. Mmm, Michael Fassbender.

That is all.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 11, 2009 5:36:42 PM

9. @DICK

Love Beautiful People! :)

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 11, 2009 6:14:04 PM

10. Re: Dannielynn. Dude still looks like a homo.....and a not very smart one at that. Who would put his DAUGHTER in a t-shirt that says 'My Mom is a Hero' when she died of a known drug overdose. I remembered that correctly, right?

Posted by: Chris | Sep 11, 2009 7:13:04 PM

11. Gays in Asbury Park... IS NOTHING NEW. In fact the queer crowd moved right in after the riots of 73. Trust I know, my mama was a fag hag and used to go drinking with the gay boys she worked with back then...when Asbury had more than 10 gay bars and even a bath-house. Three things put a huge damper on the gay scene down there 1) AIDS, duh, 2) after that the biggest dance bar (Odessy) was busted for cocaine and shut down 3) The town rezoned several blocks and moved out several remaining bars and tore everything down...which then got caught up in redevelopment hell.

Trust, see my user name, I'm from "down the shore"

Posted by: Qjersey | Sep 11, 2009 7:28:55 PM

12. Ummm......Mika's music is annoying to no end, he gets way too much attention, and even his personality is irritating. I'll never understand why Andy is so obsessed, but damn, that ho gets a looot of amazing publicity on this site.

Posted by: DONOVAN | Sep 11, 2009 8:43:48 PM

13. Richard Hatch is completely unsympathetic and the easy thing he could do is just shut up but why does the government care so much about what he wants to say? I don't care what he agreed to. Where in the Constitution does it say you lose the right to free speech if you're convicted of a crime? Are Hatch's words affecting national security or inciting violence? This is a free speech case and the guy has guts.

Alan Cumming: At first, the explanation of your album title seemed harmless and stupid but on closer examination I realized that pompous British assholes shouldn’t be allowed to become U.S. citizens. I hope you turn blue and die.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 11, 2009 8:56:10 PM

14. Good 4 U David R. ! Bring your whole family, we have lots of activities for families including a Faith service Sunday morning that's going to have uplifting music that kids can clap and have fun to!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 12, 2009 4:32:21 AM