Iraq | News

Islamist Militias Using Internet Chat Rooms to Target, Kill Gay Iraqis

Another really horrifying report of the brutality against gays going on in Iraq. Islamist militias are reportedly using internet chat rooms to locate and target their victims.

Said one 22-year-old militia member to the Guardian: Iraq "It is the easiest way to find those people who are destroying Islam and who want to dirty the reputation we took centuries to build up. Animals deserve more pity than the dirty people who practise such sexual depraved acts. We make sure they know why they are being held and give them the chance to ask God's forgiveness before they are killed."

The paper also talks to a victim's mother about how she found out about her son's execution. She also provides a first-hand account of the anal glue torture that's been reported:

"He didn't follow what Islamic doctrine tells but he was a good son. Three days after his kidnapping, I found a note on my door with blood spread over it and a message saying it was my son's purified blood and telling me where to find his body. We found his body with signs of torture, his anus filled with glue and without his genitals. I will carry this image with me until my dying day."

In some areas of Iraq "a list of names is posted at restaurants and food shops" in order to facilitate the location of victims.

Ali Hili, chairman of the Iraqi LGBT group in London, says the violence started following the 2003 U.S. invasion, and 680 gays have been executed in Iraq, at least 70 of those in the past five months.

Comments

1. 'Reputation we took centuries to build up' eh? What reputation would that be?? Delusional much?!

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 14, 2009 9:56:43 AM

2. this country is supposed to be under the military occupation of the USA.....(in all but name) and we want an explanation of what they are doing to prevent these outrages. My blood boils at this savagery. Let's demand an explanation from Axelrod et al.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 14, 2009 10:00:54 AM

3. How many gays were tortured and killed in Iraq before Bush 2 and his cronies decided it would be a good political move to invade?

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Sep 14, 2009 10:02:48 AM

4. I'm not a fan of the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, but for all you "Bush lied, people died" kooks out there - THIS IS WHAT RADICAL ISLAM WANTS TO DO TO YOU! War isn't the answer, but we have to realize that there are people all over the world - not just in the backwoods of the south - who want to see us dead because we are gay, dead because we are American.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 14, 2009 10:23:52 AM

5. I have an elderly friend who's father was a Briish Army officer in the Middle East. I am still somewhat shocked when she makes comments about Arabs being "bloody savages" and "we ought to bomb them all." When I read stories like this, I have to remind myself that not all Muslims are fanatical fundamentalists (nor are all Baptists for that matter), or else I risk falling into the bomb the lot of them mentality.

Posted by: rayrayj | Sep 14, 2009 10:33:33 AM

6. Don't kid yourself... this is what all radical religionists want to do to us... not just Islam. All of them.

Posted by: The Milkman | Sep 14, 2009 10:33:45 AM

7. Are any of Saddam Hussein's brothers still alive? We can maybe put one of them back in charge of Iraq to crack down on these religious psycho scum thugs the way Saddam used to do. He might have been a monster - but he wasn't religious and he was stronger than all the other monsters (i.e. "fundamentalists") and he had them all too scared to cause trouble.

Posted by: Donovan | Sep 14, 2009 10:33:54 AM

8. So Steve, how is that an argument for replacing a secular regime with a religious one?

People who say "Bush lied, people died." are not kooks. It's the truth.

Many left-winger realize the danger of the extremists, but Bush's action made it worse, not better. You have to fight them in an intelligent way, something the former administration was unable to do.

Posted by: ahem | Sep 14, 2009 10:44:16 AM

9. @milkman. You're partially right. All fundamentalist religion would prefer to see us gone. But correct me if I'm wrong - I don't recall any stories of a gang of hasidic jews torture killing gays. Don't kid yourself. There's a HUGE difference between preaching hate and carrying it out through torture and murder on a scale this large.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 14, 2009 11:13:18 AM

10. Disgusting.

Posted by: John S. Hall | Sep 14, 2009 11:23:22 AM

11. I cannot understand how any "religion" can condone and encourage this. And at the risk of being considered a bigot, I cannot see how any member of this "religion" can sit by and accept it from their fellow believers. The part of the religion that disagrees, if there are some, and I am trying desperately to believe there are, are equally complicit and guilty if they sit by and let these horrors continue. If they do not, then sadly, their culture, their religion, their beliefs are savage, and uncivilized. Bigot or no bigot. The Muslim religion is as it does. Yes, other "religions" might not be any better in other areas. But that does not excuse this religion from it's acts of barbarism and savagery.

Posted by: Reggie | Sep 14, 2009 11:46:06 AM

12. It is the fact that they are able and want to commit these kinds of acts upon a living person while he screams and dies, this is what crosses the line for me. This is pure evil, no doubt about it, the kind of evil that most hard-line Christians I know would even flinch before, as much as they talk about gay executions. At least here in the US, you shine a light upon homosexuality, and attitudes shift, even if it seems at a glacial pace sometimes. Over there, you shine a light, people die horrific deaths at the hands of evil. What is it about the culture that keeps them from progressing past such things as this, and honor killings and all the rest? I certainly do not advocate "bombing them all", but I have no problem eradicating their culture.

Posted by: clint | Sep 14, 2009 12:05:26 PM

13. Peaceful farmers, peaceful farmers....

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 14, 2009 12:29:31 PM

14. If the US would slide into a state of anarchy, how do you think some of the religious people would behave?

Posted by: ahem | Sep 14, 2009 12:41:20 PM

15. Steve, I think we are all well aware of what radical Islam can lead to. In the case of the Bush administration's actions, they invaded and had killed a secular (though obviously imperfect) leader and pushed through a new constitution that says no law can contravene "Islam." (Whatever that concept means is left to the whims and religious biases of any judge or leader, obviously.) So doesn't your own argument just contradict itself?
    Will it be any less difficult for decent Muslims and others to make strides toward a peaceful society that respects everyone under the regime that Bush's administration created?

Posted by: GV | Sep 14, 2009 1:18:44 PM

16. THank you, AHEM.

These particular extremist Muslims want to live as they did hundreds of years ago, and adhere to a version of Islam that is corrupt and evil. If fundamentalist Christians could do as they did hundreds of years ago they'd be torturing and murdering gays also.

I didn't believe Andy's initial posting about the horrific form of torture being used by these sadists (who call themselves Muslims). I thought it had to be an exaggeration of what was going on over there--too horrible. Reading the Iraqi mother's testimony is heart wrenching. Only sexual sadists could commit such acts.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 14, 2009 1:30:07 PM

17. The Hassidim in Israel are very threatening, as Towleroad postings in the past have shown. Were Israel as lawless as Iraq, there'd be similar crimes comitted.

Posted by: hadassah weinreb | Sep 15, 2009 5:20:05 AM

18. I grew up in the south, if you believe Christians would behave any differently, then you are delusional.

I saw hatred and violence so pervasive it made me run to get the hell out of there. It is starting again, look at the raids in Fort Worth and Atlanta. Without a strong response, it will happen again, and can easily happen here in the US. Don't kid yourselves - look at what is occurring now,we should be prepared to fight. It may be required. These Christian zealots have a lot of guns and some have military training -what do we have? Irony?

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the claim that US forces are involved in the killing of gay people in Iraq - the US soldiers are heavily Christian and don't seem to care about fags, as they refer to us.

Posted by: Jonathan | Sep 15, 2009 9:23:01 PM

19. Iraq is killings it's gay and Iran should do the same. If Iran has audio or video of the 2 gay boys being hanged in that tortuous manner then they should release it on UTUBE so US gay leaders will press the US for more protection for gays in Iraq and attack Iran. This should trigger a regional war with Russia and China over US presence in Iran, Afganistan, and Iraq. It will also show the US will make gays out of the world population as they are doing in the US.

Posted by: k. f. | Sep 18, 2009 1:57:47 AM

20. Let me explain something to you all. Gay or not. Muslims are here In this country. They are getting ready to try and take over this country. The Damn leader sits behind the desk In the white house. I have read most of the post that are here. The only one that appears to be on track Is one that says you better be ready to fight. I travel all over this country and I see It 1st hand. Lower priced hotels/motels convenience stores, liquor stores even In the trucking industry. I have never seen so many Muslims as I have seen grow In the last 10 years. they get jobs and tell the employer I can't work because It interfears with my religion. Obama him self Is backing these people and telling employers that they will bw sued If they don't give them the time they want for their religion. I don't care If you are gay no not. all I'm saying Is when the crap hits the fan, You all better have a gun In your hand, And know how to use It. God Bless America.

Posted by: Hal G. | Apr 14, 2014 2:29:34 PM