Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Mehcad Brooks | News | Proposition 8 | True Blood

BigGayDeal.com

Mehcad Brooks Won't Get Married Till Gay People Can

Mehcadbrooks

True Blood's Mehcad Brooks reveals he's a reluctant sex symbol in a new interview with Honey Mag, and he also speaks out for gay rights.

Says Brooks: "I haven’t even gotten that far (thinking about settling down). But yeah, I want a wife, I want kids. The whole thing. But I’m also not even concerned with marrying somebody until it’s legal for everybody to get married. And what I mean by that is the whole Prop 8 thing. I find it really offensive. I just find it really problematic when you start throwing people’s rights away. Until we get our gay brothers and sisters back into a realm of consciousness that everyone else is in, it’s just not right. A woman who’s getting married — it’s probably going to be a gay man who made her dress, and a gay man who’s doing her hair and makeup, but he can’t get married. How messed up is that?"

Comments

1. Wow. That is pure beauty. And what great quotes!

Posted by: jmg | Sep 14, 2009 7:18:16 PM

2. mehcad just got himself a new fan.

Posted by: jack | Sep 14, 2009 7:18:19 PM

3. I was watching 'True Blood' last night thinking that there is no way he could get any hotter...but he just did! Thanks for the support, sexy man!

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 14, 2009 7:19:23 PM

4. PERFECTION!

Posted by: Giovanni | Sep 14, 2009 7:21:55 PM

5. Thank you Mehcad. What a love you are.

Posted by: Tom Clark | Sep 14, 2009 7:24:36 PM

6. Swoon!

Posted by: Sam | Sep 14, 2009 7:36:37 PM

7. Sexy AND smart! Damn!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Sep 14, 2009 7:38:48 PM

8. My future husband!! Dammit.

Soon enough, Mechad, soon enough!

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 14, 2009 8:11:46 PM

9. We'll see if he sticks by his word.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Sep 14, 2009 8:26:14 PM

10. Heard that line before. I've had a couple of folks that I know personally voice that sentiment and I've discouraged it. Strikes me as kind of a pointless sort of protest. Now, if prop 8 had passed and he had gotten a divorce as a protest, that might make sense. But there are so many reasons people aren't married yet that who knows for sure why people are really waiting. It's nice and all, just somewhat pointless.

Posted by: KJ | Sep 14, 2009 9:08:38 PM

11. Cool

and what happened lst night to his character on True Blood

WOW shocker

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Sep 14, 2009 9:11:19 PM

12. Good for him! (Though the season finale of True Blood was getting a little silly).

Posted by: JT | Sep 14, 2009 10:24:44 PM

13. This is nice.

Let the bitter racist tirades begin.

I mean yea ya know,we all know that black folks are the only reason why Prop 8 passed.Its not because of the white mormons.Black folks hate gays more than whites do so its only fair to single the blacks out as the biggest bigots in the world,right? (Sarcasm)

Seriously though its nice to have another str8 ally who is able to speak up on gay rights,not very many of our so-called "allies" do this.Furthermore we cant even get the bitter queens to smarten up and start taking the moral high ground instead of bitchin and moanin and going on racist tirades on news blogs and all that tired bullshit.

To be brutally honest,I feel until we get rid of the blatant racism from white gay men,they shouldnt have civil rights,maybe not even the right to marry.Ive seen it and even experienced it first hand (being latino) the racism spouted by white gay men.Until they learn how to respect and include gays of color into the (so-called) gay community,they shouldnt get rights.PERIOD!!!

As we all know in the eyes of some gay white men "White is Right" "black is whack" and latino and asian and arab.Basically anyone who is NOT white isnt part of the gay world (in their eyes)

You may not like what Im saying but frankly my dear....I dont give a damn.But that said,its the truth.

Call my rant a "racist tirade" all you want.

My question is how am I being racist if what Im saying is true? And it is. Take a good long hard look around you honey.

Posted by: Rocky | Sep 14, 2009 10:27:44 PM

14. That's great and all but is no one perturbed by his stereotyping of gay men as fashion queens? Shouldn't he be playing basketball or rapping?

Posted by: Aron | Sep 14, 2009 10:56:29 PM

15. OK, Yum! And thank you, Mehcad.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Sep 14, 2009 11:08:34 PM

16. Now I know why they killed of his character in True Blood yesterday. jk :)

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 14, 2009 11:12:24 PM

17. Rocky, you stereotype both white people and gay people.
    Gay people should not have any rights until we have no racists among us? No other group is expected to live up to such a high bar and if they were, no one would have any human rights at all. Should blacks have no rights until not a single one is racist? Should women have the right to vote revoked until not a single woman is left who makes sexist comments about men? Should white people have their right to free speech revoked as long as even one white person exists who is prejudiced against handicapped people? Do you not see how irrational your point of view is?
    I don't know about you, but I'm a white gay guy who is not racist and NONE of my gay friends are the kind of racist you suggest. In fact, I feel pretty confident that gay people (of all colours) as a group are probably MORE supportive of equal rights for everyone (black, white, female, male, trans, gay, bi, straight, blind sighted, hearing or deaf, etc., etc.) than just about any group that exists.
    Coretta Scott king spoke about the gay people who marched with her and Martin Luther King, Jr. for the rights of blacks "when they could find few voices for their own."
    If you have racist gay friends (or otherwise bigoted friends), I'd say it's time to look for new places to find friends. I've met some vile racists in my time and I can't say that a single one of them was gay. To suggest that we dominate in that area is ridiculous. To suggest that none of us deserve rights because our community, like any, has some bad apples is even more irrational.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 14, 2009 11:15:20 PM

18. Andrew : Is his character definitely dead though? On True Blood one never knows.

Posted by: JT | Sep 15, 2009 12:27:36 AM

19. GREGV, you are lucky, I experience White Gay racism regularly. Not from my friends, and I agree if Rocky has that kind of poison around him, they should be put out of his life. However, I think white Gays really do live in a bubble when it comes to Gay racism.

Having said all that, Rocky, take a breath, I recently had to do the same because it was slowing down my progress I was making on some projects. Oftentimes , people aren't racist, just uninformed. It's hard at times to know which they are, but try and give people the benefit of the doubt. I find most people are just folks who need to be educated.

And don't think I'm giving racists (of all colors) a pass. It is stupid to be divided as a community over race. The tools in Cali who tried to blame Blacks for Prop 8 instead of their Ivory Tower mentality should be ashamed of themselves for fanning the race baiting flames. Hopefully, we will start acknowledging racism and try to work it out within the LGBT world.

A house divided is a house that aint gonnna be standing very long.

Or something like that.

Peace.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 15, 2009 1:36:07 AM

20. racism is alive and well, all you can do is step up and be there and be strong that we can all get along, we are not the same but we are all human.

Posted by: ty | Sep 15, 2009 1:56:21 AM

21. Yeah, but Derek (while agreeing with you), others have to acknowledge that African-Americans are the only ethnicity that continuously say no to gay marriage. Every poll in every state shows that, including in New York (where the majority of whites and Hispanics show they'd approve of same-sex marriage). Whether there were enough AA voters in CA. to cause the prop 8 thing is beside the point. Of course that's no excuse to take out ones anger on individual AA's, straight or gay, but the honesty has to go both ways. African Americans have a huge homophobia thing going on compared to the other races.

Posted by: JT | Sep 15, 2009 2:25:16 AM

22. Well I guess Rocky spoke what he felt. Maybe not for this thread but there are some unfortunate truths to what he is saying.

Those folks you just have to overlook and move forward.

But Aron you said: Shouldn't he be playing basketball or rapping?

Well should'nt you be cooking or sewing?

All of us Black Men don't rap or play B-BALL. Then again this shows the type of household you were raised in.

Shame on your parents!

Posted by: Chris | Sep 15, 2009 2:33:16 AM

23. But, Chris, Rocky left out the unfortunate truths that other "men of color" are even more racist when it comes to African-Americans than Caucasians are. Anybody out there dealt at length with Koreans, Indians, Arabs, and (often) Latinos? Even my mouth has fallen open with what I've heard some of them say. They come from cultures where even trying to be politically-correct just amounts to dishonesty. I guess the conclusion here (maybe) is to be as racist as you want to, but when it comes to working for any same-sex rights, try to put away your differences and be colorblind. Like any sports team has to.

Posted by: JT | Sep 15, 2009 2:42:08 AM

24. JT, I agree that homophobia in Balck culture is a huge problem. However, the idiots who ran that campaign (into the ground) didn't even reach out to the communities that are , let's say, less "homophobic" to counter any percieved biases in the Black community. Further, many Blacks felt that there was no reason to support something that didn't even bother to spend all those millions in the Black community, or Central Cali for that matter. Of course, Equality is for all of us, but, if you don't explain something to people in a place they can access it, you can't complain later when your message falls like a fat bitch at the skating rink with a thud.

Regardless, the "leaders" looked for a scapegoat and found one just outside the barn.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 15, 2009 2:53:33 AM

25. Black people aren't telepathically connected to each other. They aren't some sort of hive mind perpetually tuned into sexual conformity. There's far more dissent here than those who insist on using "black homophobia" as a meme for justifying racism are willing to admit.

If you ask Henry Louis Gates, Michael Eric Dyson, or Cornell West what they think about same-sex marriage, you're going to get an extremely different response than if you ask 50 Cent.

One of the most insidious forms of subtle racism is in insisting only white people are individuals. And we see it all the time in the gay community. White gay bashers are merely judged as "lunatics" acting as free agents. Whereas black gay bashers are "representative" of the degeneracy of Africans in general.

Posted by: John | Sep 15, 2009 3:10:12 AM