Buenos Aires | Deaths | ENDA | Gay Marriage | Germany | Graham Norton | Hugh Jackman | John Berry | Madonna | Maine | Mormon | Nature | New York | News | North Carolina | Simon Cowell | Television | Texas | Vandalism | Washington

News: Roman Polanski, Frog, Angela Merkel, ENDA, Graham Norton

RoadBlake Hayes, the gay man at the center of the NYC gay bashing over the weekend, asks that you stop calling McCoy's Bar, in front of which the incident occurred, because the owner is cooperating.

Equalitytexas

RoadEquality Texas offices vandalized in possible hate crime.

RoadReport: Madonna to marry Jesus in "lavish ceremony".

RoadConservative columnist and Nixon speechwriter William Safire dies.

RoadU.S. Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry: Make ENDA top priority. "I believe that if we all concentrate our efforts where it needs to be concentrated, which is on the House of Representatives and the United States Senate, we can get the job done. If we can get ENDA enacted and signed into law, it is only a matter of time before all the rest happens. It is the keystone that holds up the whole bunch, and so we need to focus our energies and attention there."

RoadGraham Norton criticized for calling model a lesbian: "I don't know why they've got some strange lesbian to be the model." The BBC asks: is it ok for gay men to joke about lesbians?

RoadIf you're wondering why Hugh Jackman has a topless mermaid tattoo on his arm, click here.

Polanski

RoadFugitive director Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland. (video) Men's art prioritized over women's safety?

RoadMale model fix: Holden Nowell.

RoadObservers: Mormon church regressing on gay issues. "The church has a long way to go to get into the 21st century. They're making incremental movements. What Hafen has done is take them back 25 years."

RoadA few major How I Met Your Mother spoilers...

RoadFriends: the movie?

RoadErotic festival in Buenos Aires opens to gay groups for first time: "Over 30 exhibitors include TV channels for adults, toys and erotic clothing, aphrodisiac dolls, new technologies, DVDs, piercings and tattoos, cosmetics, anime, books and magazines."

RoadSimon Cowell turns 50, pens lengthy birthday card to himself.

RoadBlogger Pam Spaulding delivers keynote address at NC Pride 2009.

Frog

RoadFanged frog discovered in remote Thailand hungry for birds.

RoadA day in the life of the Approve Referendum 71 campaign.

RoadAngela Merkel claims victory; Germany to get openly gay foreign minister: "The 47-year old from Bonn will become Germany’s first openly homosexual vice-chancellor and could win more than the normal three cabinet positions traditionally reserved for the junior partner in a coalition government."

RoadBradley Cooper house hunts in L.A.

RoadBoston College Law School defends right of Professor Scott Fitzgibbons to participate in anti-gay "Yes on 1" Maine marriage ad: "Professor Fitzgibbon, as a member of our faculty, is free to express his views … we also have faculty members who hold a contrary view, which they too are free to express publicly. As I think any of our faculty might have done, he stated his views without prior notice to or clearance from the Law School."

Comments

1. Graham Norton joking about a model being a lesbian is no worse than rappers calling women bitches and ho's and each other the 'n' word. I am not saying one is right or wrong but I don't hear anyone complaining about the latter.

Posted by: fernlaplante | Sep 28, 2009 4:14:26 PM

2. The Friends movie was confirmed by Gunther, the Central Perk manager. If we could only get Chandler's ex Janice to corroborate that.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 28, 2009 4:17:24 PM

3. Fern, here is a better analogy: Gays call each other "faggot" and no one complains about THAT.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 28, 2009 4:23:51 PM

4. shouldn't you edit the original post that has mccoy's phone number in it?

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 28, 2009 4:29:18 PM

5. "I am not saying one is right or wrong but I don't hear anyone complaining about the latter."

You don't?

Have you ever watched a news program in the last 20 years?

Posted by: mcc | Sep 28, 2009 4:41:27 PM

6. I following the link to for the male model fix and now I'm holdin' my nowell. He's very beautiful, and his eyes make him singular.

Posted by: Interested Bystander | Sep 28, 2009 5:25:48 PM

7. Can anyone explain the outpouring of support for Roman Polanski?
    He is a child-rapist!
    He did the crime, but Hollywood wants and others think it's horrible he has been arrested finally for the crime he committed. I don't get it.

I know the victime has said she doesn't want charges pressed, but that aint' the way it works.

Why does he have so much support?
    Anyone?

Posted by: MARC | Sep 28, 2009 6:01:52 PM

8. @SoulBrotha, I have never nor have my friends called each other "faggot".
    @MCC - yes, that was an issue 20 years ago but still rappers use "n" constantly as do kids in that community. I think it's terrible and they shouldn't but they do and I don't see posts all over the news blogs about that.

Posted by: fernlaplante | Sep 28, 2009 6:22:59 PM

9. @Marc: Brilliant article by Melissa McEwan (Shakesville blogger)about the whole Polanski situation in the Guardian:

Posted by: Lue | Sep 28, 2009 6:47:12 PM

10. @Marc: I have no idea either. It's really pissed me off the last couple of days that everyone is fawning over this douche. Had he not fled, he'd be a free man by now (probably).

Posted by: KJ | Sep 28, 2009 9:43:06 PM

11. Thanks LUE, great article.

Posted by: MARC | Sep 28, 2009 10:11:27 PM

12. This image pretty much captures my sentiment on the Polanski arrest.

Posted by: Chef | Sep 28, 2009 11:57:29 PM

13. Polanski's case is more complicated than the tone of commentary here would probably care to acknowledge. The "girl" was presented to him as 18-years old by her MOTHER, who was anxious to get either her daughter or herself into the movies. The mother even presented fake ID's to show that her daughter was of the age of consent. The girl's mother encouraged her daughter to get "cozy" with Polanski, including the taking of drugs and smoking marijuana. I don't discount that Polanski was wrong in doing what he did, but he was deceived by the "stage mother of all stage mothers" into thinking the girl was of legal age. It was only after Polanski refused to get the woman or her daughter acting roles that the mother decided to "blow the whistle" and accuse Polanski of "raping" her daughter. Then, there is the judge (now deceased) who betrayed a carefully-crafted plea-bargain deal because he was a publicity and fame whore. The whole thing is a mess, but it's time to let it go. Switzerland should deny extradition, but I understand that Polanski is the sacrificial lamb in order for Switzerland to get the U.S. off its back for supposedly helping wealthy American hide their assets in secret Swiss bank accounts.

Posted by: mike | Sep 29, 2009 1:21:11 PM