Andre Bauer | I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | Mark Sanford | News | South Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

SC Lt. Governor Andre Bauer: Gay Talk is Improper, Ridiculous, Silly

South Carolina Lt. Governor Andre Bauer was asked by SCBD Charleston about rumors he is gay.

Bauer Said Bauer: “I don’t think it’s a proper question. I think it’s a little bit ridiculous and it’s sad that politics has gotten to that. But if somebody had a question I don't have a problem with going ahead and airing it and getting it out of the way because I don't want that to linger, much like this other problem is lingering. I want to move forward. I want to talk about real issues, how to get improved job growth. How you get education to a better level than it is now, how you fix the budget problem that we've got — not continue to dwell on some silly question in the first place."

Blogger/activist Mike Rogers, who has a long record of accuracy on outing hypocritical politicians, recently said Bauer was gay on Michelangelo Signorile's Sirius radio show. State Senator Jake Knotts claims the rumors are a part of a smear campaign by sitting governor Mark Sanford.

Should Sanford step down in the wake of his extramarital affair scandal, anti-gay Bauer is poised to take his role.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How sad is it that people consider being gay a smear?

Posted by: John M | Sep 6, 2009 3:58:12 PM

2. Shorter André Bauer: refusing to deny gay rumors would make them true.

Odd standard of proof, no?

Posted by: Karl | Sep 6, 2009 4:04:32 PM

3. I dunno... my gaydar is showing a few weak blips, but if you ask me, the breeders are welcome to him.

Posted by: Boxerdad | Sep 6, 2009 4:07:40 PM

4. In that response he neither confirmed nor denied. Telling, isn't it?

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 6, 2009 4:25:15 PM

5. Of course it's telling.

He's gayer than Anderson Cooper's sock drawer!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 6, 2009 5:05:06 PM

6. It would be fine if he didn't take an anti-gay stance. Mike Rogers only really goes after all those anti-gay people who are really gay. If anything, those outspoken anti-gays at least start shutting the fuck up.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Sep 6, 2009 5:24:38 PM

7. well the only good thing to come out of this..is..maybe he will STOP his anti-gay BS - for fear of sturring the pot again!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 6, 2009 6:05:06 PM

8. Did I miss the answer?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 6, 2009 6:47:32 PM

9. If he wants to pass as straight-- although it's a bit late for that-- he might try saying three consecutive words without flapping his hands around, and also not folding them primly while listening to a question.

I don't have any compassion for him, nor empathy. He is choosing the low road, and speaking of the low road, he shouldn't be surprised Sanford raised the gay issue, he should have expected it.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Sep 6, 2009 7:15:09 PM

10. LOL, he wants to nip him in the butt !!!!

Posted by: galore | Sep 6, 2009 10:37:42 PM

11. I'm chuckling here. This is an almost identical response to the question that many hypocritical Tory politicians gave during the 80s and 90s, all of whom later turned out to be raving queens.

On the balance of probabilities, I'm going to say, 'yes, he is'.

Posted by: Midland | Sep 7, 2009 3:00:43 AM

12. These guys just can't *stop* themselves from continuing to build glass houses, can they? They never learn! The so-called Christian Right has become a caricature and these guys are their poster-boys. It's interesting that the MSM doesn't really call them on that, though.

Posted by: SecyClinton Blog | Sep 7, 2009 10:25:29 AM

13. Read whatever you want into it, this is nonsense and yellow journalism at its worst. This crap is getting in the way of his ability to do real work.

Posted by: DR | Sep 7, 2009 11:29:27 AM

14. Hilarious. Has this man ever denied being gay? Can anyone post a piece of video where he denies it? Because he certainly didn't deny it in this piece of tape. He talked around it and said it was a silly question ("silly"? Really? That's the best defense you have if it's not true?)

I have to say, if someone isn't gay. A simple, "I'm not gay" will do. Unless he has said this over and over and over and is sick of saying it, then I would imagine he can't confirm or deny because he's in the political closet.

And could we get a politician without politician hair? What's with these anacronistic haircuts from 1985?

Posted by: Bart | Sep 7, 2009 12:02:49 PM

15. ^ your response would have been more effective with the caps lock on DR

Posted by: sundog | Sep 7, 2009 12:41:04 PM

16. Yeah, "It's so silly and improper to ask whether I'm gay or not - when all I'm saying is gay people should be discriminated against." I swear, these filthy closet political scumbags learnt all their lessons from Roy Cohn as depicted in "Angels in America": "I'M NOT GAY BECAUSE I HAVE POWER AND GAYS DON'T! I HATE GAYS - BUT THEIR COCKS TASTE GOOD."

Posted by: Donovan | Sep 7, 2009 1:33:58 PM

17. I'm loving the juxtaposition of the I'm Gay I'm Not Gay tags.

Posted by: Caligula | Sep 7, 2009 4:20:00 PM

18. I don't know if he is a homosexual closet case ( please let's not call him gay)but he does gives off a whiff of hypocrisy

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 7, 2009 6:02:01 PM

19. he's gay and his boss the adulterous mark sanford outed him for political reasons. this guy wants him to resign so he can take sanfords job. totally gay.

Posted by: rick | Sep 8, 2009 1:26:21 AM

20. "But if somebody had a question I don't have a problem with going ahead and airing it and getting it out of the way because I don't want that to linger, much like this other problem is lingering."

Did it stop lingering with that response?

Posted by: NYSmike | Sep 8, 2009 2:12:59 AM

21. In this day and age, with marriage equality on the Front Burner, how can he say it doesn't matter in politics?

Posted by: David R. | Sep 8, 2009 3:18:00 PM

22. evidently having sex with men no longer qualifies one for being gay. for qualifying as gay you evidently need a sense of taste and style a large show tunes collection and have sex with men.

Posted by: rick | Sep 8, 2009 5:43:01 PM

23. "It's just a silly question" : "I want to nip it in the bud": .......for a guy who wants to answer the question he sure makes a song and dance around it, without answering it.
    But I do believe he is entitled to stay in the closet, if he finds it comfortable.....but if he acts, preaches,votes or supports any anti gay interests then he is fair-game.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 9, 2009 9:45:59 AM