Books | Christopher Isherwood | Colin Firth | Film | Playing Gay | Tom Ford | Venice

Tom Ford Wins Queer Lion, Colin Firth Wins Best Actor for A Single Man at Venice Film Festival: Watch Trailer

Singleman

Tom Ford won the Queer Lion for his directorial debut, A Single Man, at the Venice Film Festival. The Queer Lion award is presented independently of the official awards. However, Colin Firth walked away with the festival's offical award for Best Actor:

"The 49-year-old actor, who celebrated his birthday at the 66th festival two days before the awards, has never won a major award before, despite Bafta nominations for his parts in Pride and Prejudice and Bridget Jones's Diary. But his sensitive and touching portrayal of a gay man plunged into a mid-life crisis after the accidental death of his lover could see him secure an Oscar nomination."

More details about the film, which is an adaptation of the Christopher Ishwerwood novel of the same name, HERE.

Watch Tom Ford and actors at a press conference for the film, as well as the film's trailer,
AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm so thrilled that this film looks great, and that it got attention for its direction and Colin Firth's acting. I adore Isherwood--I'm actually teaching him in a course in the spring--and was worried Ford just wouldn't get it right. Slightly irritating that he's that good looking and already talented and successful in one field, and now he can direct too. But that's beside the point.
    Also: woah, cast! I knew Firth and Moore were in this, but Nicholas Hoult (who has grown up in to a bizarrely beautiful young man), and Matthew Goode, and did I see Lee Pace and Sherilyn Fenn in the trailer too? It's like someone cast out of my subconscious.

Posted by: E. | Sep 13, 2009 12:25:58 AM

2. That's not Sherilyn Fenn but Ginnifer Goodwin. But you're right, great cast, impressive photography (from the trailer so far), for an adaptation of a brilliant novel. I'm sold. Interesting that the president of the Venice jury was Ang Lee...

Posted by: arn0 | Sep 13, 2009 8:06:24 AM

3. OK, Colin Firth speaking Italian? HOT. NESS.

Posted by: John | Sep 13, 2009 9:02:42 AM

4. I must see this film, even if it's just for the visuals.

Posted by: S. | Sep 13, 2009 9:47:49 AM

5. Can't wait to see this! I've loved Colin Firth since Another Country, and always thought his Valmont was better than that other one...

I'll second E above, it is kind of irritating that Ford is hot AND a talented designer, AND now apparently a good director.

Posted by: KevinVT | Sep 13, 2009 12:05:28 PM

6. It looks like a lovely film, but that trailer seems designed to discourage widespread interest. Beautiful, yes. Curiosity-invoking among a certain type of person, yes. But way too artsy for mainstream appeal (focus on eyes much?).

Note that I have no interest in mainstream appeal; I'm merely noting the obvious.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 13, 2009 12:14:44 PM

7. My husband loved the book, but I found it rather depressing. Still, I never miss a Colin Firth film. Julianne Moore is always great, but apparently I don't like her quite as much as Colin.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Sep 13, 2009 5:08:06 PM

8. I think Colin Firth had some work done on his face..botox perhaps?

Posted by: gayalltheway | Sep 13, 2009 5:25:50 PM

9. Paul, I was thinking ths same thing. I'm not a fan of the trailers that give away the entire movie, but it's helpful to have a little clue into what it's about, especially for those unfamiliar with the story. Phenomenal cast...can't wait!

Posted by: Larry | Sep 13, 2009 5:46:53 PM

10. Oh my god. Matthew Goode.

He is so profoundly, breathtakingly beautiful that watching him makes me ache.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 13, 2009 11:29:05 PM

11. I didn't realize Julianne Moore was in this. OMFG. About 7 years ago I was in NY and she was eating at the next table from me—and Sarah Jessica Parker at another, without her hubby :-( . Now when I refer to her with my pop-culture-clueless husband, I always describe her as "my friend Julianne Moore". I wish. She's a goddess.

And speaking of which, Tobey Maguire and LAURA LINNEY are shooting in my neighborhood. Why haven't they stopped by to say "hi"?

Posted by: David R. | Sep 14, 2009 2:03:01 AM

12. Good looking, successful designer, now possible award winning director?

*sigh*

Where's the lithium.....

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Sep 16, 2009 1:06:39 PM

13. Looks like somebody wants to be an American Almodovar.

Posted by: Dregth | Sep 16, 2009 3:03:44 PM

14. what's up with Ford's phony Euro accent? Has he been hanging with Madonna?

Posted by: Bruce H. Ungry | Sep 17, 2009 1:42:59 AM

15. @gayalltheway - No, Colin Firth has never done botox. He's actually one of the lead opponents of botox and plastic surgery because he feels that it inhibits an actor's ability to emote (makes sense since his acting style is all focused in his face). There's plenty of interviews talking with him about it when he did that Dorian Gray movie.
    So all those good looks he still has are au natural :)

Posted by: soupy | May 23, 2010 7:51:06 PM