Barack Obama | Crime | Cyndi Lauper | Judy Shepard | Matthew Shepard | News

Cyndi Lauper Lauds Passage of Hate Crimes Prevention Bill

Towleroad has received a statement from Cyndi Lauper praising passage of the hate crimes bill, which President Obama will sign into law tomorrow.

Cyndilauper "As a straight ally and as a person with many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender family members, friends and fans, I want to thank the Human Rights Campaign, Judy and Dennis Shepard and Senator Edward Kennedy for their leadership in the 11 year struggle to get the Matthew Shepard & James Byrd, Jr. Hates Crimes Prevention Bill enacted. FINALLY, with President Obama's signature, violent hate crimes against the LGBT community will be recognized and prosecuted by the Federal government. This is only the beginning, I believe that the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell and the Defense of Marriage Act, as well as the passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, will soon be here. Today, that light at the end of the tunnel for the LGBT civil rights movement is much brighter."

Comments

1. One of the most fabulous people on the planet, and one of my favorite allies.

Posted by: sparks | Oct 27, 2009 6:06:02 PM

2. Well, that's a load off. Phew! Thank pasta. It was a nailbiter...

I wonder if she went to lou albano's funeral. She's great.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 27, 2009 7:04:58 PM

3. She is amazing, and seeing her recently during the VH1 Divas show, I think her voice has just progressed/developed to a much different level than you hear in her early recordings...
    Also, I'm not surprised, but it was interesting to see her specifically thank Judy and Dennis Shepard when in Judy's book, Judy thanks Cyndi for more than she can express (or something along those lines). These two women have done so much to advance the cause of gay rights, which is more than I can say for myself and so many other gay people who get riled up for a bit then become complacent again.

Posted by: jonny | Oct 27, 2009 7:05:57 PM

4. I have loved this woman from day one, if only all straights could be so developed, or have children like her.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 27, 2009 7:25:54 PM

5. I absolutely love her!!! I support her music 100%. Ms. Lauper had me crying at one of her concerts when right before she started singing True Colors, her son Declyn (who was 9 years old) came out with a Gay Flag and help her Mother sing while waving the flag. The world needs more people like her..Cyndi has done so much for our Community without asking anything in return ...A true legend and a great Humanitarian...If you ever have a chance to see her in concert, don't miss it!! She is incredible talented!! She definitely needs a major comeback!!! Thank You Ms. Cyndi Lauper for all your hard work and support!!!

Posted by: Jake | Oct 27, 2009 9:01:49 PM

6. I really appreciate her thinking to issue that statement, and taking the trouble to do so. It is a worthwhile and meaningful gesture.

Posted by: working joe | Oct 27, 2009 9:39:57 PM

7. Class Act!! from the unusual girl!!!

Posted by: Eric | Oct 27, 2009 10:13:28 PM

8. Her song "Boy Blue" was written by Cyndi right after her best friend die from AIDS. From the early 80's she's been a true ally of our Community!

Posted by: Eric | Oct 27, 2009 10:46:05 PM

9. Who would have thought that when I was dancing to 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' in 1983 -- and pretending to be str8 -- that 26 years later I'd be thanking her for her commitment to our community and her genuine sincerity.

(hmmm.... str8 and dancing to GJWTHF?? There is an oxymoron in there somewhere...)

Posted by: k | Oct 28, 2009 12:41:43 AM

10. Four words, "I LOVE THIS WOMAN!" Thanks for all your support Cyndi. I hope we do you as much justice in your career. ;-)

Posted by: Marc | Oct 28, 2009 1:09:26 AM

11. We would be hard-pressed to find a better friend in the entertainment -- or any -- industry. Her concern and stalwart commitment are genuine, her feelings run true and deep, her courage is strong and her voice is beautiful and damn loud. Love ha!

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Oct 28, 2009 7:59:40 AM

12. In the world of music and entertainment she may be one of the few that has stood by us tireless. Her record company didn't promote her last record because she decided to go on tour with the True Colors Tour created by Cyndi to promote awareness about LGBT issues. Her latest album "Bring Ya To The Brink" is a masterpiece!! Happy to see that other members of our community are finally beginning to see what a wonderful friend and ally Cyndi really is to our community. Words can't describe how much I personally appreciate her genuine support! Thanks Cyn!!!!

Posted by: Justin | Oct 28, 2009 10:38:21 AM

13. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cyndi-lauper/hope_b_120936.html

This is another wonderful example of her genuine support! Cyndi Lauper is the REAL DEAL!!!

Posted by: Justin | Oct 28, 2009 1:59:30 PM

14. That is one singer who has consistently been OUT THERE supporting us for equality for all.

More than Madonna, that's for sure!

Posted by: FunMe | Oct 28, 2009 4:21:05 PM