Deaths | Dublin | Ireland | News

BigGayDeal.com

Dublin Says Good-bye to Boyzone Star Stephen Gately

Gatelyfuneral

Approximately 3,500 people lined the streets outside Dublin's St Laurence O'Toole Memorial Church to say good-bye Saturday to Boyzone star Stephen Gately, who died suddenly last weekend at the age of 33.

Watch a video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Gatelyphoto The Guardian reports: "After Gately's coffin was carried out of the church, the surviving members of Boyzone stood behind the hearse in a silent group, huddled for a few minutes' reflection while local women and children showered them and the hearse with dozens of white roses. As the funeral cortege made its way up Seville Place, flanked by five garda motorbike outriders, a train on the railway bridge over the street suddenly halted while thousands all around clapped and cheered. Among the celebrities who attended the funeral were the band's founder and X-Factor judge Louis Walsh, David Furnish, Shane Ward, Jason Donovan, Brian McFadden and Vanessa Feltz. Messages of condolence were sent by David and Victoria Beckham and Elton John, among others. When the Gately family, friends and the celebrities he knew and worked with had gone, five photographs of the singer at various stages of his life were left behind inside the church, and one of him together with the rest of Boyzone. Gately was later cremated after a short service at Dublin's Glasnevin cemetery."

Cowlesgately An autopsy reported that Gately had died of natural causes. There was widespread criticism this week over a homophobic Daily Mail column by Jan Moir which used rumors surrounding Gately's death to slam the gay "lifestyle" and the "happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships".

Gately married Andy Cowles in March 2006 in one of the first high-profile same-sex civil partnerships after they became legal in the UK.

Today, tabloid News of the World released video of the night Gately died showing the singer and Cowles leaving a nightclub in Majorca. The video appears to contradict reports that Gately had been on a drinking binge.

Watch a report on the funeral, featuring clips of Boyzone singing at the church service and Ronan Keating reading an emotional memorial, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. RIP Stephen

Posted by: zeke | Oct 17, 2009 6:25:57 PM

2. peace.

Posted by: john | Oct 17, 2009 6:39:19 PM

3. It is such desperately sad news. The service was audio-broadcast on UK's Sky News today, and it was just a lovely send-off.

For those of us who've had long and loving relationships (mine, 20+ years without any civil partnership), it really feels like Andy has been robbed after only a few years with Stephen. So terrible for him and Mr & Mrs Gately and their family too.

We must give credit to both Boyzone members and to Louis Walsh (band manager) for dealing with the media and ensuring that the family have space to grieve at this time without intrusion.

Rest in Peace Stephen.

Posted by: Sean R | Oct 17, 2009 7:08:21 PM

4. No offense but his home was a place he had to leave in order to be himself. When he became famous and wealthy, he received a little respect. If he was Stephen Gately, mailman, he be just another fag to a lot of people in his 'home'.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 17, 2009 7:32:43 PM

5. Looks like a beautiful ceremony, and at least this blog didn't try to claim Dublin is in England this time.

Posted by: JT | Oct 17, 2009 8:10:02 PM

6. Stephen I will miss you terribly. I was so proud of you and Boyzone when I saw you singing to another man in the video for the song Better. You will always be a hero in my eyes. I know you are flying with angels my friend.

Posted by: Mick Crowley | Oct 17, 2009 8:44:37 PM

7. I know there have been some snide comments, even on a site like this one, about Stephen Gately being "just a pop star" etc. etc. -- but to hear his straight bandmates' genuine heartbreak over his loss, and their casual mention of his husband (their word) shows just how far some things have come -- and his having the courage to be himself played its own small but significant part in that. You deserve the accolades, Stephen, just as you did not deserve this early death ... No Matter What.

Posted by: Lance | Oct 17, 2009 9:27:40 PM

8. Ronan Keating sang "In This Life" at the funeral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fBBInzva6g

A beautiful song and a fitting tribute to a wonderful soul.

Posted by: RJ | Oct 18, 2009 3:31:23 AM

9. Eulogy given by Ronan Keating:

Posted by: RJ | Oct 18, 2009 3:35:28 AM

10. I have always enjoyed Boyzone and primarily for one song they did: "No Matter What"! Each time i listen to it i am reminded that our cause, worldwide, has no anthem and yet the words which punctuate through this song says to me "yes No Matter what they call us - we will survive and we will love!!
    Here is the video with words and music listen and read along!

Chorus:
    No matter what they tell us
    No matter what they do
    No matter what they teach us
    What we believe is true

No matter what they call us
    However they attack
    No matter where they take us
    We'll find our own way back

I can't deny what I believe
    I can't be what I'm not
    I know I'll love forever
    I know, no matter what

If only tears were laughter
    If only night was day
    If only prayers were answered
    Then we would hear God say

Chorus

And I will keep you safe and strong
    And shelter from the storm
    No matter where it's barren
    A dream is being born
    No matter who they follow
    No matter where they lead
    No matter how they judge us
    I'll be everyone you need
    No matter if the sun don't shine
    Or if the skies are blue
    No matter what the end is
    My life began with you

I can't deny what I believe
    I can't be what I'm not
    I know, I know
    I know this love's forever
    That's all that matters now
    No matter what

Posted by: alex in Boston | Oct 18, 2009 5:51:36 AM

11. I was reduced in tears watching it and listening to ronan Keating!!!

Posted by: seb38 | Oct 18, 2009 6:30:15 AM

12. @JT:
    This blog never said that Dublin was in England. It only refered to Steven as a British singer. Indeed, the British Isles geographically include the Republic of Ireland (where Gately grew up) which is a part of the Irish isle. The British isles also include, geographically, the largest isle in the group which is Great Britain, a section of which is England (which is, politically, part of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) where he resided in the latter part of his life.

RIP Steven.

Posted by: GregV | Oct 18, 2009 3:19:45 PM

13. @GregV: it is quite a sensitive thing to ignore irish politics. While there is a 'geographical' term the British Isles (usually used by weather forecasters these days), politically the Irish Republic is a separate country from the UK or England... your description is rather loose!

As far as anyone is concerned, Stephen Gately was an Irish national.It makes people just cringe here when Irish celebrities etc. are referred to as British... the worst was when Margaret Thatcher referred to Bob Geldof as "a true Brit" for organising Band Aid! Would it hurt anyone to fact-check these things?

Posted by: Sean R | Oct 18, 2009 4:12:24 PM

14. It broke my heart listening to Ronan's eulogy. Very sad. I loved listening to these guys back in the day.

Posted by: Waynesf | Oct 18, 2009 9:15:55 PM

15. GregV : Part of the sensitivity is because NYC gays, including this blog, have that traditional anti-Irish hostility going on, so trying to deny Gately's ethnicity was kind of the straw breaking the camel's back thing.

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2009 9:34:25 PM