Comments

1. Sean R says

It is such desperately sad news. The service was audio-broadcast on UK’s Sky News today, and it was just a lovely send-off.

For those of us who’ve had long and loving relationships (mine, 20+ years without any civil partnership), it really feels like Andy has been robbed after only a few years with Stephen. So terrible for him and Mr & Mrs Gately and their family too.

We must give credit to both Boyzone members and to Louis Walsh (band manager) for dealing with the media and ensuring that the family have space to grieve at this time without intrusion.

Rest in Peace Stephen.

2. John in Boston says

No offense but his home was a place he had to leave in order to be himself. When he became famous and wealthy, he received a little respect. If he was Stephen Gately, mailman, he be just another fag to a lot of people in his ‘home’.

3. Mick Crowley says

Stephen I will miss you terribly. I was so proud of you and Boyzone when I saw you singing to another man in the video for the song Better. You will always be a hero in my eyes. I know you are flying with angels my friend.

4. Lance says

I know there have been some snide comments, even on a site like this one, about Stephen Gately being “just a pop star” etc. etc. — but to hear his straight bandmates’ genuine heartbreak over his loss, and their casual mention of his husband (their word) shows just how far some things have come — and his having the courage to be himself played its own small but significant part in that. You deserve the accolades, Stephen, just as you did not deserve this early death … No Matter What.

5. alex in Boston says

I have always enjoyed Boyzone and primarily for one song they did: “No Matter What”! Each time i listen to it i am reminded that our cause, worldwide, has no anthem and yet the words which punctuate through this song says to me “yes No Matter what they call us – we will survive and we will love!!
    Here is the video with words and music listen and read along!

Chorus:
    No matter what they tell us
    No matter what they do
    No matter what they teach us
    What we believe is true

No matter what they call us
    However they attack
    No matter where they take us
    We’ll find our own way back

I can’t deny what I believe
    I can’t be what I’m not
    I know I’ll love forever
    I know, no matter what

If only tears were laughter
    If only night was day
    If only prayers were answered
    Then we would hear God say

Chorus

And I will keep you safe and strong
    And shelter from the storm
    No matter where it’s barren
    A dream is being born
    No matter who they follow
    No matter where they lead
    No matter how they judge us
    I’ll be everyone you need
    No matter if the sun don’t shine
    Or if the skies are blue
    No matter what the end is
    My life began with you

I can’t deny what I believe
    I can’t be what I’m not
    I know, I know
    I know this love’s forever
    That’s all that matters now
    No matter what

6. GregV says

@JT:
    This blog never said that Dublin was in England. It only refered to Steven as a British singer. Indeed, the British Isles geographically include the Republic of Ireland (where Gately grew up) which is a part of the Irish isle. The British isles also include, geographically, the largest isle in the group which is Great Britain, a section of which is England (which is, politically, part of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) where he resided in the latter part of his life.

RIP Steven.

7. Sean R says

@GregV: it is quite a sensitive thing to ignore irish politics. While there is a ‘geographical’ term the British Isles (usually used by weather forecasters these days), politically the Irish Republic is a separate country from the UK or England… your description is rather loose!

As far as anyone is concerned, Stephen Gately was an Irish national.It makes people just cringe here when Irish celebrities etc. are referred to as British… the worst was when Margaret Thatcher referred to Bob Geldof as “a true Brit” for organising Band Aid! Would it hurt anyone to fact-check these things?

8. JT says

GregV : Part of the sensitivity is because NYC gays, including this blog, have that traditional anti-Irish hostility going on, so trying to deny Gately’s ethnicity was kind of the straw breaking the camel’s back thing.