Corey Johnson | Lady Gaga | National Equality March | News | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Interview: Lady Gaga at the National Equality March

Gagalady

Here's a brief chat we just had with Lady Gaga following her remarks at the National Equality March this afternoon. Wow. The March was an incredible success. I've got tons of photos to go through, and plenty of video, but it takes a while to process so I'll be putting it out as soon as I can edit it.

In addition to yesterday's interviews with March co-director Robin McGehee and David Mixner, we've got an interview with Lt. Dan Choi, Hair's Gavin Creel, a brief chat with Cleve Jones, and a bunch of March footage which I'll try to whip into some sort of shape.

As far as the attendance of the March goes, the police gave us a number of between 200,000 and 250,000. The turn-out of young people was spectacular and inspiring.

I've posted our chat with Gaga, plus her remarks as carried by C-Span, AFTER THE JUMP...

Lady Gaga's remarks:

Comments

1. It says that it's a private video :( (the first one that is)

Posted by: Rhea | Oct 11, 2009 6:34:48 PM

2. Fixed.

Posted by: andy | Oct 11, 2009 6:47:15 PM

3. I watched all of the speeches and there are countless memorable and powerful moments. But I think her, "Obama, I know you're listening, are you listening!" line will definitely resonate most loudly of all.

Posted by: Washington | Oct 11, 2009 6:50:25 PM

4. On the NBC Nightly News tonight, correspondent John Harwood just labeled the marchers the "internet leftist fringe."

Posted by: Sam | Oct 11, 2009 6:55:07 PM

5. How does one know the march is a success? People showing up? Is that it? The internet leftist fringe, Oh is my slip showing?

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 11, 2009 7:09:51 PM

6. The crowd was no bigger than 25,000. It doesn't help when WE lie and try to make the March appear more successful. The crowd never filled the West Lawn. The West Lawn holds 50,000 - without stages and secure zones.

Please tell the truth about the attendance.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 11, 2009 7:20:35 PM

7. Shout out to those heteros that showed up in support. Thanks! Appreciated!

Posted by: NYSmike | Oct 11, 2009 7:25:27 PM

8. Thanks for the quick fix! I loved the interview :)

Posted by: Rhea | Oct 11, 2009 7:26:39 PM

9. Let's not overlook Lady Gaga's willingness to stand up to the old school power establishment by criticizing Barney Frank's dismissal of the impact of this event. Why do I see no coverage of Barney Frank's stupid comments on Towelroad?

Posted by: Brett | Oct 11, 2009 7:37:04 PM

10. I was there! I'm not a fan of Gaga's music, but her speech as amazing! Lets give her a round of applause :)

Posted by: Brandon George | Oct 11, 2009 7:37:44 PM

11. @Andrew

Good for you! You were the first queer here to initiate the backlash. You're a pinoneer!

Posted by: Washington | Oct 11, 2009 7:49:12 PM

12. These speakers were NO DIFFERENT from Joe Solomonese and Barack Obama last night. Boring and irrelevant.

Watching this on C-SPAN it was incredibly lame. I was embarassed.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 11, 2009 8:02:55 PM

13. I hate to be shallow in the midst of such a topic, but I just have to say, Andy, that you're HOT.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 11, 2009 8:16:01 PM

14. There were not 250,000 people today on the West Lawn of the US Capitol. I hate to say this but anyone with a modicum of brain cells would know that 250,000 is a blatantly inflated crowd estimate. The number of Metrorail trips taken today will easily prove this.

I agree that lying to cover up the lack of attendance of this march is disingenuous.
    Glenn Beck is going to use this as an example of liberal hypocrisy. Great.

Posted by: Brayden W. | Oct 11, 2009 8:19:53 PM

15. Ugh - Lady Gaga? Is she going to be the spokesperson for this weekend? No wonder no one takes us seriously. There were far better and more poignant and relevant speakers. Can we get the stars out of our eyes and be realistic here. Ridiculous

Posted by: Caleb | Oct 11, 2009 8:34:47 PM

16. Here's an idea: what if Lady Gaga did a benefit concert or donated a percentage of her royalties to No on 1 in Maine instead of doing interviews and performances at Washington events? The Catholic Church has given $186,000 to the Yes on 1 side. They're smart. You don't see them organizing pointless "traditional marriage" marches. They spend their money and use their clout in ways that produce tangible results. When will we learn?

Posted by: Z | Oct 11, 2009 9:42:51 PM

17. Caleb-Z...I find it amazing that she (Lady Gaga)would take the time to stand up and speak like that for us...not only that but participate in the march itself. I would like to thank Lady Gaga for that..BTW,Check out the billboard top 100. It doest get much better that her....

Posted by: KB | Oct 11, 2009 9:59:42 PM

18. "As far as the attendance of the March goes, the police gave us a number of between 200,000 and 250,000."

I was there. If there were 25,000 people, I'd be amazed.

There wasn't a chance in hell that there were a quarter of a million people there.

Posted by: Bibby | Oct 11, 2009 10:03:18 PM

19. Too often in the music industry today do we simply see artists that are cookie cutter with the sole purpose of turning a huge profit with the next biggest hit.

It is good to see Lady Gaga standing up for gay rights and taking a stand on this important issue. It is encouraging to see that artists like Gaga can find their voice in today's society that doesn't encourage dissenting voices to be heard. Kudos.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 11, 2009 10:28:15 PM

20. I applaud all who attended the march --whatever their number might be. And for those who are less than positive in their comments here, that's your perfect right to state whatever you feel. I can only hope that you’re also channeling that indignation into something more beneficial than simply hitting the ”Post” key on your computer.

Posted by: ichabod | Oct 11, 2009 10:42:22 PM

21. 200,000 to 250,000? What are you smoking? The event was broadcast on CSPAN. The crowd gathered on the West Lawn of the Capitol, and barely extended past the reflecting pool. And there were big gaps. Anyone who's lived in Washington knows what that means: 10,000 to 20,000 people, tops.

Posted by: Old Timer | Oct 11, 2009 10:49:40 PM

22. I'm sure that Lady Gaga's endorsement of gay rights will win us a lot of votes on civil unions in WA State. Wouldn't it have been nice if the "250,000" marchers had sent half the crowd to do some actual work on something?

But that's not what this crowd was about. They were in it for the illusion of it all. For the buzz of feeling like they were making a difference. Actually making a difference couldn't have been further from their minds.

Posted by: Old Timer | Oct 11, 2009 10:52:25 PM

23. THIS JUST IN!

Barry doesn't give a shit about ANYTHING that went on today!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 11, 2009 10:58:11 PM

24. Thanks Lady Gaga for your support!! You and Ms Lauper are an inspiration to all of us!!

Posted by: Jake | Oct 11, 2009 11:04:59 PM

25. @Chris... I'd hardly say that it's a brave position for a pop-dance artist to make. I'm not shitting on the march or Lady Gaga here, but I'd more impressed with 'bravery' if it were a pro Quarterback, for example.

Posted by: Clifw | Oct 11, 2009 11:05:02 PM