Film | Matt Damon | Michael Jackson | Nathaniel Rogers | News

BigGayDeal.com

Movies: Michael, Matt, Gore and Bette

Mjthisisit

GuestbloggerNATHANIEL ROGERS

Nathaniel Rogers hopes you'll dress up as a movie character for Halloween. He blogs daily at the Film Experience.

YOUR FEATURE PRESENTATION

This Is... not the weekend for new releases. Horror films Paranormal Activity and Saw XI topped the box office last weekend and should continue doing well over the holiday with no new scary movies going wide. Unless you count This Is It, which brings Michael Jackson back from the beyond for his next concert tour. And yes, he does perform the zombie dance from Thriller. I'm not trying to make a joke here, it's just that reel commerce on the heels of real tragedy is scary for some of us. Others will undoubtedly love seeing the legend back in action.

Opening in limited release: The House of the Devil, Gentlemen Broncos, and The Boondock Saints II: All Saint's Day.

BONUS FEATURES

Coming Soon: School Ties 2!

I'm kidding but that's all I could think of when I saw this new frame of Matt Damon. (Damon lost that weight from The Informant quickly, no?).

MORE, AFTER THE JUMP...

Damon_invictus

Road My first memory of Matt Damon is the shower scene from the 1992 prep school drama School Ties. So when I see him in a locker room, that's where my mind goes. Don't judge. The image above comes from the trailer to Invictus, Clint Eastwood's annual December release/plea for Oscars.  Invictus recounts the true story of Nelson Mandela's attempts to unite South Africa with the help of rugby star Francois Pienaar.

Road Speaking of new bodies, you can now get a much better look at Sam Worthington's avatar (blue, catlike) in the new plot-heavier trailer to James Cameron's next blockbuster Avatar

Road I hated Amelia but I did enjoy the unexpected presence of Gore Vidal (played by young actor William Cuddy) if only to think about how much he would do with himself after the movie. The always fascinating figure has a new interview with interview with the Atlantic. He savages the press...

The media can’t get anything straight. Plus, there’s usually an anti-Semitic and anti-fag thing going on with the press – lots of crazy things.

...before launching into inflammatory statements about the Roman Polanski case. For good measure he labels Martin Scorsese "sexless" and Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson "virgins."

Road I have to run -- haven't even started on my costume! -- but I'm wondering: Which movie most reminds you of Halloween?

Babyjane I'll go first: There's a lot of competition for the title but I'm feeling old school classic right this moment and I want to go with Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? I'm guessing that some twosome has done Baby Jane & Blanche Hudson in every Halloween parade that's happened since 1962. And why not? It's one of the great smorgasbord movies: a feast with equal servings of horror, comedy, melodrama, psychological profiling and Hollywood-on-Hollywood mythology. I particularly love Bette's relentlessly delusional ditty "I've Written a Letter to Daddy" That's still one of the scariest things you'll ever see or hear onscreen. Scary, I mean to say, in the giggle while you gulp sort of way. In other words: 100% perfect for Halloween. Have a happy one.

Comments

1. Makes me want to sing "I'm f**king Matt Damon."

Posted by: Rick | Oct 29, 2009 7:48:06 PM

2. The first thing when I saw the Matt Damon photo is - "damn, I would definitely lick that!" - but maybe I'm just being a bit of a whore today.

Posted by: TyInTenn | Oct 29, 2009 9:10:10 PM

3. "but maybe I'm just being a bit of a whore today."

You're terrible, Heather! Tehehehehehehe...

oy...

Posted by: TANK | Oct 29, 2009 9:17:26 PM

4. Yeah, sexy -- but should a married middle-aged father be taking that many steroids?

Posted by: Mike | Oct 29, 2009 9:58:55 PM

5. Matt looks good with the extra beef but I'm sure all that bulk will his small penis look even smaller. I'd still hit it. :-)

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Oct 29, 2009 11:01:28 PM

6. I always like to start my Halloween moviethon with the Rocky Horror Picture Show. So much fun!

And yeah, regarding Matt, I'd so hit it.

Posted by: Vince | Oct 29, 2009 11:34:02 PM

7. HELP!! So random question that I hope you movie buffs reading this will be able to answer: a while ago, Towleroad posted about a heavy inde film set in Alabama (I think)that touched on a lot of intense shit. Does anyone have an inkling of an idea of what I'm trying to remember? sorry about the super vague description...

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | Oct 29, 2009 11:49:19 PM

8. I agree with an early post that paranormal activity is overhyped, and didn't deliver because of the expectation for it to be frightening. It wasn't, and those who disagree--who believe it was a solid horror flick as opposed to just somewhat creepy--don't understand the genre. If you're interested in a good halloween movie with just the right amount of needed camp so overlooked in modern "horror", try trick 'r treat. It was fun, while not being over the top.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 29, 2009 11:51:17 PM

9. Coffee&Chicory:

Are you talking about Precious (or PUSH, original title)? About the overweight black girl w/ the abusive mom?

Or a gay oriented film? I think there's an Emile Hirsch one cant remember the name though.

Posted by: B | Oct 30, 2009 2:00:06 AM

10. 'This is it' seems to have been a bit of a wet blanket. No one was really sure how well it would do at the box office, the estimates for its US opening day ranged from 9 to 50M. It turned out it took just $7.4M.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 30, 2009 3:30:54 AM

11. Matt Damon as a bodybuilder - what a wet dream!

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 30, 2009 8:26:14 AM

12. Love Matt Damon, but too beefy for my taste.

Posted by: David T | Oct 30, 2009 9:02:02 AM

13. And Matt Damon continues to show what a talented and committed contrast he is to Ben Affleck.

Posted by: seattle mike | Oct 30, 2009 11:38:24 AM

14. Two of my friends went as Baby Jane and Blanche Hudson a few years back, in complete black and white! It was brilliant. They even walked (well, one wheeled the other down the street) in the NYC Halloween parade, and I'm sad to say no one other than gays over 40 recognized them.

Posted by: That Burning Sensation | Oct 30, 2009 2:13:31 PM