Movies: Michael, Matt, Gore and Bette

Road My first memory of Matt Damon is the shower scene from the 1992 prep school drama School Ties. So when I see him in a locker room, that's where my mind goes. Don't judge. The image above comes from the trailer to Invictus, Clint Eastwood's annual December release/plea for Oscars.  Invictus recounts the true story of Nelson Mandela's attempts to unite South Africa with the help of rugby star Francois Pienaar.

Road Speaking of new bodies, you can now get a much better look at Sam Worthington's avatar (blue, catlike) in the new plot-heavier trailer to James Cameron's next blockbuster Avatar

Road I hated Amelia but I did enjoy the unexpected presence of Gore Vidal (played by young actor William Cuddy) if only to think about how much he would do with himself after the movie. The always fascinating figure has a new interview with interview with the Atlantic. He savages the press…

The media can’t get anything straight. Plus, there’s usually an anti-Semitic and anti-fag thing going on with the press – lots of crazy things.

…before launching into inflammatory statements about the Roman Polanski case. For good measure he labels Martin Scorsese "sexless" and Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson "virgins."

Road I have to run — haven't even started on my costume! — but I'm wondering: Which movie most reminds you of Halloween?

Babyjane I'll go first: There's a lot of competition for the title but I'm feeling old school classic right this moment and I want to go with Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? I'm guessing that some twosome has done Baby Jane & Blanche Hudson in every Halloween parade that's happened since 1962. And why not? It's one of the great smorgasbord movies: a feast with equal servings of horror, comedy, melodrama, psychological profiling and Hollywood-on-Hollywood mythology. I particularly love Bette's relentlessly delusional ditty "I've Written a Letter to Daddy" That's still one of the scariest things you'll ever see or hear onscreen. Scary, I mean to say, in the giggle while you gulp sort of way. In other words: 100% perfect for Halloween. Have a happy one.

Comments

1. TyInTenn says

The first thing when I saw the Matt Damon photo is – “damn, I would definitely lick that!” – but maybe I’m just being a bit of a whore today.

2. Coffee&Chicory says

HELP!! So random question that I hope you movie buffs reading this will be able to answer: a while ago, Towleroad posted about a heavy inde film set in Alabama (I think)that touched on a lot of intense shit. Does anyone have an inkling of an idea of what I’m trying to remember? sorry about the super vague description…

3. TANK says

I agree with an early post that paranormal activity is overhyped, and didn’t deliver because of the expectation for it to be frightening. It wasn’t, and those who disagree–who believe it was a solid horror flick as opposed to just somewhat creepy–don’t understand the genre. If you’re interested in a good halloween movie with just the right amount of needed camp so overlooked in modern “horror”, try trick ‘r treat. It was fun, while not being over the top.

4. B says

Coffee&Chicory:

Are you talking about Precious (or PUSH, original title)? About the overweight black girl w/ the abusive mom?

Or a gay oriented film? I think there’s an Emile Hirsch one cant remember the name though.

5. Rovex says

‘This is it’ seems to have been a bit of a wet blanket. No one was really sure how well it would do at the box office, the estimates for its US opening day ranged from 9 to 50M. It turned out it took just $7.4M.

6. says

Two of my friends went as Baby Jane and Blanche Hudson a few years back, in complete black and white! It was brilliant. They even walked (well, one wheeled the other down the street) in the NYC Halloween parade, and I’m sad to say no one other than gays over 40 recognized them.