Annie Leibovitz | Barack Obama | Michelle Obama | News

White House Releases Obama Family Portrait by Annie Leibovitz

Obamas

Shot in September, posted to the White House Flickr stream yesterday.

Comments

1. Meh, seems like an average and mediocre family photo by any standard.

Cute family, meh photo.

Posted by: John | Oct 23, 2009 2:37:22 PM

2. Good work, Annie!

Posted by: Casey | Oct 23, 2009 2:48:42 PM

3. I don't like it. The composition's off.

Posted by: Wild Gift | Oct 23, 2009 2:55:23 PM

4. Needs some nudity. And Tom Ford.

Posted by: 24play | Oct 23, 2009 3:04:47 PM

5. I'm kind of a wonk about this kind of thing, but I don't think I've ever since a first-family picture taken in the Green Room before - it's one of the smaller reception rooms in the White House. I seem to recall that most such pictures have been taken in the Blue Room, in the private (usually yellow) sitting room just about it (both large oval rooms), or in the living room in the private quarters that has the big Palladian window at one end.

Doesn't signify anything at all, I suppose, but an interesting choice to go for somewhere comparatively intimate.

And the photo? Perfectly fine if not much more, but perhaps Annie's distracted by her money troubles...

Posted by: Muscato | Oct 23, 2009 3:06:19 PM

6. gorgeous family !!

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Oct 23, 2009 3:19:49 PM

7. I could have done that.....c'mon Annie, focus a little more

Posted by: Blah | Oct 23, 2009 3:20:27 PM

8. I think it's a very nice portrait. But a lot of lesser-known photogs could have taken it. They didn't need overrated Annie Leibovitz.

Posted by: JT | Oct 23, 2009 3:38:55 PM

9. I'm being picky, because I was hoping for something stunning. There is something not quite right about this composition. Not a big fan of children's heads being higher than adults or having them stand in a more powerful pose (arms around their parents rather than the other way around) than the adults. It looks contrived to me. Large white area created by their clothing on the left and then darker clothing on the right, and that corner line going down the center which divides the group...? Odd.

That said, the faces are totally perfect and it may be why this frame was chosen.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 23, 2009 4:20:19 PM

10. The first family y'all!! It's been almost a year yet the sight of them still fills me with instantaneous joy.

Posted by: Giovanni | Oct 23, 2009 4:24:47 PM

11. I wonder how the right wing will tear this sweet photo apart.

Posted by: sd619guy | Oct 23, 2009 4:31:28 PM

12. Beautiful family, fugly picture. Too much shadow on Michele's face; weird composition; unfortunate background colors. Just yuck.

Posted by: Asher | Oct 23, 2009 4:54:35 PM

13. Those girls are ADORABLE! Easily my favorite straight family right now. LOL

Posted by: Alexander | Oct 23, 2009 5:07:13 PM

14. Great family, crappy photo. Leibovitz is washed up. Glad I don't hold the note on her loan. Hope she got paid up front for this hack job.

Posted by: wisebear | Oct 23, 2009 5:36:04 PM

15. You queens are SO bitchy. Is it that difficult to say something nice?

Posted by: OnyxEsq | Oct 23, 2009 5:45:20 PM

16. I just had the most wonderful feeling of happiness and optimism looking at that photo of the first couple. To think of how far "we've" come. and how far we have yet to go. (gay first couple? I'll hold onto that dream)

Posted by: shawn | Oct 23, 2009 6:33:55 PM

17. I agree with other posters here -- gorgeous family, but my first impression was "something's off." BO's pose seems somewhat closed and he seems distant or somehow "removed" from the rest of hte family. The girls, adorable and picture-perfect cute as they are, look like they are hanging on their parents.

Still, a particularly attractive family in an otherwise "meh" photograph. and onyxesq, i'm intentionally being super-non-bitchy... constructive criticism is not bitchy, my friend.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 23, 2009 6:39:00 PM

18. Great picture.

Posted by: Diogenes | Oct 23, 2009 7:07:17 PM

19. Perhaps I'm some photo amateur, but what is there to complain about? This photo is adorable.

I swear if someone bought every towleroad reader a free beamer, they'd just complain about the color. LOL.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 23, 2009 9:41:19 PM

20. I think the intent of the composition is to highlight how much Sasha looks like Barack and Malia like Michelle. That was the first thing that struck me upon looking at this photo, since in most photos Sasha's resemblance to her mother and Malia's resemblance to her father tends to be very strong.

Posted by: foochy | Oct 23, 2009 10:00:59 PM

21. michelle i think is the ugliest first lady so far

Posted by: mike | Oct 24, 2009 12:24:19 AM

22. From Mike
    michelle i think is the ugliest first lady so far

Posted by: mike | Oct 24, 2009 12:24:19 AM

So is your mother. Have you ever thought about shooting your Mom for having your dumb cocksucking ass and not aborting you?

Stupid Motherfucker!

Posted by: Chris | Oct 24, 2009 5:03:03 AM

23. Michelles pose with the eldest daughter is beautiful, it would be perfect if the daughters arm wasn't around Michelles shoulder.

Posted by: TylerAnthony | Oct 24, 2009 9:48:16 AM

24. Now, Mike, she's definitely not the ugliest. I can't say she's THE most beautiful since I don't even know what most of the 40 or so first ladies since Washington looked like. On a side, but cutely Americana note, Bill O'Reilly just gave Michelle Obama the Patriot of the night award for promting the hula hoop as good exercise, especially for the midsection. She was out on the lawn doing it with a bunch of kids, and she's pretty good!

Posted by: JT | Oct 24, 2009 9:51:03 AM

25. Nice picture (adorable family) but I guess I expected something more from Annie. This is Sears quality.

Posted by: daws | Oct 24, 2009 9:55:27 AM