Advertising | Discrimination | Michigan | News | Transgender

Anti-Gay Kalamazoo, Michigan Scare Campaign Gets a TV Ad

Kalamazoo

Note: Political director Corey Johnson and I will be live-blogging election results tomorrow evening here on the site. Please join us.

UPDATED

Another ordinance we'll be watching tomorrow is the heavily funded anti-discrimination measure in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Two weeks ago I posted about the flyers being distributed there by the anti-gay side meant to generate fear about transgender people in public bathrooms.

Here's the TV ad version of those flyers.

UPDATE: Hadn't seen this, they are also using the same exact footage used in a similar campaign in Gainesville, Florida last year showing a "transgender predator" (below) stalking children in a public bathroom. Btw, the anti-discrimination ordinance survived in Gainesville. Really, beyond the pale.

Watch both spots, AFTER THE JUMP...

Predator

Comments

1. I wish someone would tell the idiots you don't put "Dr." and "Ph.D." together in a name. Dr.=Ph.D. ... so she's Dr. Mary Ann Stark Dr. ... idiots.

Posted by: DirectProf | Nov 2, 2009 12:25:33 PM

2. Dude, fix your adsense settings! You have ads FOR Stand For Marriage Maine running on this site right now! One popped up right underneath this post.

It points to standformarriagemaine.com

Posted by: raybob | Nov 2, 2009 12:34:05 PM

3. I hope someone from Michigan, someone who works in public higher education, and someone who works in the nursing profession contacts the national authorities and lets them know that her position violates the non-discrimination policies that almost all of those organizations have. I have contacted her school, but not being from MI, I'm sure my complaint will be dismissed. I will also report to the other authorities. I think it will have much more impact if it comes from someone who is in those affiliations and can reflect on the personal issues she is advocating.

Posted by: Ken in MS | Nov 2, 2009 12:34:29 PM

4. One of my favorite cities in America. It'll be so much better once this ordinance passes.

Posted by: Mitch Shea | Nov 2, 2009 12:36:38 PM

5. Is it me, or is Towleroad now starting to get a bunch Tea Party trolls. This is the second remark I've seen in a couple of days.

Hey Mitch, take that right wing twitch and stick it in your bitch and you might just cure your conflicted itch. Come on over, you have nothing to fear by coming out. Baby steps dude, baby steps.

Posted by: Keith | Nov 2, 2009 1:25:16 PM

6. Wow, either you have ZERO sense of what I am saying or you are a little heavy with the whole Puritanical ethic thing, you know, "anyone who disagrees with me must be cured, even if I have to eradicate everything they stand for".

Let me break it down for you, so that you can understand without birthing a watermelon. While I explain, you can unwad your panties, Cotton Mather. Ready?

1. I like Kalamazoo. It's a cool city. Good beer, good people. ("One of my favorite cities in America")

2. I want the anti-discrimination ordinance to pass (that is, I encourage people to vote "yes").

Any further questions? I can answer them after you get back from the woods where you are dunking witches, curing undesirables, and casting out all the elements of society that you misunderstand.

Posted by: Mitch Shea | Nov 2, 2009 2:08:20 PM

7. Raybob: Why bother changing the ad settings? Click on it and see what lies they're saying so you know what we're dealing with. If they want to spend their fundraising dollars into the pockets of gay blogs, I say great. Most of Andy's readers are smart enough to sort through bullshit. If Andy changes his setting, the same ad will just show up on other random weblogs which may cater to a more gullible or even specifically anti-gay demographic, putting money into THEIR pockets.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 2, 2009 2:46:19 PM

8. @DirectProf - I noticed that right off. I suspect they did this because they wanted to give her the title "Dr." and make people think she is an MD (she's wearing a white coat, she must be an MD), but at the same time they didn't want to be accused of misrepresenting her as an MD when she is actually a PhD.

Posted by: uwyoalum | Nov 2, 2009 3:13:12 PM

9. I'm sorry, but how is allowing a trans person to use a public bathroom "discrimination"? You'd think someone with a PhD would use her words more truthfully.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 2, 2009 3:40:51 PM