Film | News | Taylor Lautner

Are Twilight: New Moon's Muscled Wolf Boys a Pack of Gays?

Lautner

That's the question reviewers are trying to answer, based on a line in the script about "lifestyle choice" and being "born this way":

The Times writes: "The rest of New Moon concerns Bella’s growing relationship with local beefcake Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner). The latter though, in another telegraphed allegory, is struggling with his sexual orientation and eventually rejects Bella for a foursome of local rowdies in cut-off denim shorts and baby-oiled torsos. 'It’s not a lifestyle choice, Bella! I was born this way!' he says, before fleeing into the woods with the beefy boys — they are also werewolves, but in the movie’s hysterical emotional register, this is of secondary importance."

Meanwhile, Lautner is being asked similar questions of his personal life.

Wolfpack

Comments

1. Well, any minute the religious nuts will claim boycotting the movie as it supports homosexuality and blah, blah, blah...I am surprised they haven't said anything yet...

Posted by: Chris in Long Beach | Nov 30, 2009 11:45:35 AM

2. Of course they are. I first noticed the meme watching "Underworld" esp. the "dog fight" scene when, completely unbidden, the thought popped into my head, "Somebody's about to get fucked."

Posted by: SwampFred | Nov 30, 2009 11:51:54 AM

3. Does it disturb anyone else that a 17-year-old is being questioned about his sexuality in a national magazine? If he doesn't answer or leaves things vague (the p.c. approach we often demand of celebs--so there's no implication anything's wrong with being gay), even the question takes on a life of its own and implies a "yes" to many. It feels like the new "Are you now or have you ever been a communist" smear.

Someone his age should be allowed to find his way without international public scrutiny. It's bad enough to undergo the pressure of that level of fame at any age, and have websites listing a countdown to when they become "legal."

I'm all for asking celebs questions if they allow themselves to be photographed in public kissing or holding hands with someone, but nothing like this has happened with Lautner.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 30, 2009 12:01:25 PM

4. I remember a time when it was fairly unusual to have a tattoo (I have 11). Now it's even werewolves....

Posted by: Butch | Nov 30, 2009 12:05:09 PM

5. Why would religious nuts boycott this? The heroine of the story ultimately rejects Jacob, and in the 4th book he becomes a creepy uncle type (and never gets a girl). It definitely plays into religion's "gay is bad" meme.

As I've mentioned before, when I read the books I got a distinct ex-gay vibe from Edward. He rejects his natural longings as a vampire in order to live a traditional life.

The whole series is just a Mormon do-gooder parable.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 30, 2009 12:14:32 PM

6. Taylor Lawton and the werewolf pack gay? Reeeeeeealy? That is a stretch exactly for whom? In his interviews, Taylor comes off marginally more masculine than Liberace.

What disturbed me more was the comment in a prior post that the writer was heavily funded by the Mormons. That, of itself, if proven accurate, should have led to an all out boycott of this film by anyone with any civic sensibility.

Posted by: Rad | Nov 30, 2009 12:16:11 PM

7. The kid on the left needs to work on his tum tum.

Posted by: Jane Roe | Nov 30, 2009 12:28:25 PM

8. Rad, the earlier comment was that the author, who is Mormon, likely contributed 10% of her earnings to the Mormon Church, which is typical of Mormons. It is only speculation. And the author has never made an anti-gay comment in the press. So I'm not convinced that's a strong enough reason to boycott Twilight.

The real reason to boycott it is because it's misogynistic garbage.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 30, 2009 12:42:28 PM

9. Like my ambiguously straight "No fair, you gotta choose one or the other" (mmmhmmmm) coworker said the other day, "Hairless werewolves? Not even a treasure trail..." Again, mmmmhmmmmm. But I get his point.

Posted by: clint | Nov 30, 2009 1:01:52 PM

10. Shhh! Don't tell everyone on the right that the whole vampire thing is an allegory for homosexuality! They'll have conniptions!

Posted by: Jamie | Nov 30, 2009 2:06:03 PM

11. Jeff, I agree. It's completely inappropriate to be asking a kid that young.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 30, 2009 2:10:38 PM

12. Young teenage girls are often attracted to more feminine men (androgynous as they say), which often means more outwardly gay young gays (as opposed to the beefcake macho types on the football team that stay closeted longer). So, what better way to warn young girls that they really need to chose well then make them all vampires! Or is this just another tale of forbidden love??

Posted by: anon | Nov 30, 2009 2:22:47 PM

13. Why are they fat? And spraytanned?

Posted by: freddie | Nov 30, 2009 3:08:38 PM

14. Oh please, this is a movie script. I love how it gets dissected like it was written by Steinbeck. Just look at the pretty moving pictures and move along. But yeah, I'd love me some Lautner when he hits 18 years of age.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 30, 2009 3:12:02 PM

15. I don't think anyone is questioning Taylor Lautner's own sexuality. They're implying that his character, Jacob, and Jacob's relationship to his "wolf pack" are a metaphorical representation of homosexuality.

Posted by: Ben | Nov 30, 2009 4:33:27 PM

16. Freddie - you think they're "fat"? Jeez, if you wanna see fat, go to the mall.

Stop the body-nazi comments, guys. You all would lift your legs so fast if any one of them came up and said hello to you in a bar.

Posted by: B-rod | Nov 30, 2009 4:50:59 PM

17. Asking a 17 year old his sexuality is in poor taste--ease up on him for Christ's sake.

And another thing, for a pack of werewolves, couldn't they get at least one actor with a moderately hairy chest? Geezus.

Posted by: omi | Nov 30, 2009 5:58:11 PM

18. I saw the movie and apart from the Taylor and the beautiful wolf pack found the whole thing boring. They do look like gay men at any Pride parade. I did catch the gay subtext in the script- Jacob asked Bella "Why is he the wrong type of monster?" The film does drag in a 'girlfriend for the oldest wolf man but its obvious that these guy would rather run around half naked in the woods doing their secret bonding ritual.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 30, 2009 6:17:57 PM

19. Taylor gave it away with his word choice in the linked to interview. He says he would have to know "the person." What a straight guy says is that he would have to know "the girl." Only closeted guys use gender-neutral terms like "the person." Game over.

Posted by: Haven | Nov 30, 2009 7:08:29 PM

20. I'd love it if Jacob's character were gay...it'd make him a lot more interesting. I however have noticed something that all of you seemed to have missed. He's wearing Jorts. No self respecting gay man that hot would ever wear those.

Posted by: pdbyas | Nov 30, 2009 8:43:09 PM

21. Hey I wear Jorts!

Posted by: RIO | Nov 30, 2009 10:37:16 PM

22. Up til now I had never seen Lauter talk but I just saw that Access Hollywood interview at the link above and I gotta say that dude is Gay.

Talks with Gay accent and has Gay mannerisms. The publicity folks better be all over this with diction coaches, etc b/c dude is Gay.

I am so fucking glad he's Gay cuz most importantly dude is fucking hot. My new favorite person is Taylor Lautner.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 30, 2009 11:11:29 PM

23. Butterface, drawn on abs, I don't get the appeal.

Posted by: beartrash | Dec 1, 2009 1:49:35 AM

24. Couldn't agree more Mark! I was all set to write how I thought everybody here might just be projecting on this guy, but then I listened/ watched that interview! Taylor, dude, you are awesomely G-A-Y! So it's "protein, protein, protein, all day long", huh? Hit me up if you need help with that diet wolfy... ;-)

Posted by: RDUB | Dec 1, 2009 2:10:47 AM

25. I can't believe 1.) this was even published here or in the Times and 2.) we are talking about this as if it is a real issue.

Posted by: andy | Dec 1, 2009 7:40:30 AM