Espada Setting Himself Up with an Out on NY Marriage Bill?

Elizabeth Benjamin reports in the NY Daily News on a conversation she had with New York state senator Pedro Espada Jr. and a plan he floated that could plausibly derail the marriage equality vote:

Espada "Espada suggested linking the marriage bill, which Gov. David Paterson has put on the calendar for Tuesday's session, with the farm workers' rights bill that he (and the DN) have been championing for some time.

"Sen. Pedro Espada is linking the two, and I am writing to the governor, dismayed as I am that migrant workers is not on, and I think there's probably more support for that," the majority leader told me, lapsing into that rather odd habit he has of referring to himself in the third person.

For those trying to get a read on whether the marriage bill will come up for a vote Tuesday, this cannot come as good news. It seems to be that Espada is setting himself up with an out should the bill come to the floor - or, at the very least, an excuse for voting 'no'.

It's going to be touch and go on marriage until right up to the moment the Senate Democrats come into the chamber on Tuesday. In fact, it's possible they might simply gavel in and gavel out again without doing anything at all, depending on where negotiations stand.

Video of Espada, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recently...
VIDEO: Governor David Paterson Discusses Marriage Equality Bill [tr]

Espada Jr. Links Gay Marriage To Farm Workers' Rights from Elizabeth Benjamin on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Espada derailed Marriage Equality once already, and played with the status quo in the New York Senate. Does he honestly think that he can do it again, by atempting to give Senators a "way out"? He is playing Political Soccer with Marriage Equality.... Again. He must not permitted to do so. Email and Call your New York Senators NOW

Posted by: jonesmunoz | Nov 8, 2009 8:35:13 PM

2. He'll get away with it. NY Democrats are spineless, leaderless, and as corrupt as they come. Consider that Espada is a Democrat. Consider that Ruben Diaz, Sr. is a Democrat. Consider Hiram Monserrate is a Democrat. And they ALL are influential and against marriage equality. Throw in the power of the Archdiocese of NY and the various white, hispanic and black evangelical/pentecostal/fundamentalist leaders and their faithful flocks of bigots (who will be very motivated to defeat such a bill) and you have a recipe for a marriage-quality disaster. Also, consider that the Democrats do not have a firm majority in the NY Senate. I'm not optimistic.

Posted by: mike | Nov 9, 2009 2:18:20 PM

3. The Bronx Democratic Party is a corrupt bunch that has done nothing but waste, spend, and watch as the borough deteriorated since I was a child. And when one of these people is out, they have their equally brainless children take their place. It's disgusting.

I am a lifelong Democrat, but it's to the point where voting for anyone to overtake these fools is pointless.

If you aren't IN with them, you can't run. And you damn sure can't run against them. And that is a shame.

Espada and Diaz need to go. Now.

Posted by: B- | Nov 9, 2009 8:00:43 PM

4. I was totally unaware of this issue on Facebook. I was just checking some of my past blogs and found you there. My apologies for never seeing that. Awesome blog Lani, Will be checking back to you soon.

Posted by: Nike Free 3.0 | Jul 23, 2011 1:57:06 AM

5. This is not what you imagined your life would be like when you were seventeen, all this incessant working.

Posted by: clothing stores online | Jul 23, 2011 2:02:01 AM

6. I love you in your articles provide valuable information. Add your blog I can check my child and function, in general here. I am quite sure they will be told that a lot of new things here than in other People!

Posted by: nike free run | Aug 2, 2011 12:07:39 PM

7. Espada derailed Marriage Equality once already, and played with the status quo in the New York Senate

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2009/11/espada.html#ixzz1UQU6xm38

Posted by: Cheap Nike Shoes on sale | Aug 8, 2011 5:00:11 AM

8. This is a brilliant article, im really happy I found it thank you very much.makeup brush set

Posted by: make up brushes | Aug 27, 2011 3:28:36 AM

9. That is exactly what I am lookng for!You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy to read it.Thanks for great share!

Posted by: True Religion Outlet | Sep 6, 2011 3:59:16 AM

10. To determine if this is a problem for you, turn over an old pair.

Posted by: Cheap Nike Shoes | Sep 16, 2011 5:56:25 AM

11. good article!

Posted by: stainless steel pipe | Sep 22, 2011 5:12:44 AM

12. Great loved it, mac brushes will be waiting for your future article.

Posted by: makeup brushes | Sep 22, 2011 11:40:14 PM

13. The posts is so cool, makeup brushes and I cannot wait to try it again. I will have to spread the word.

Posted by: makeup brushes | Sep 30, 2011 5:10:54 AM

14. Asics Schuhe ist die beste Laufschuhe,Beste Verarbeitungen, hochwertige Materialen und ein unverwechselbares Design machen Asics Schuhe zum Liebhaber vieler Schuhfans, denn sie sind auch für den Alltag perfekt einsetzbar!

Posted by: Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 Black/White/Purple | Oct 31, 2011 9:58:57 PM

15. Very happy to see your article, I am very much to like and agree with your point

of view. Thank you for sharing. linmei/comment201111

Posted by: GHD New Wave Limited Edition | Nov 13, 2011 12:45:32 AM

16. This kind of topic is good for people to learn more about it, and that people should be every day less ignorant.Thanks for you sharing.linmei/comment201111

Posted by: oakley sunglasses | Nov 16, 2011 9:14:06 PM

17. Very happy to see your article, I am very much to like and agree with your point of view. Thank you for sharing. linmei/comment201111

Posted by: GHD New Wave Limited Edition | Nov 23, 2011 3:18:18 AM

18. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge.linmei/comment201111

Posted by: Pandora Jewellery | Nov 24, 2011 4:14:53 AM

19. Thanks for sharing so significative article with us. I agree with your idea competely.linmei/comment201111

Posted by: oakley glasses | Nov 27, 2011 9:46:25 PM

20. Thanks for sharing so significative article with us. I agree with your idea competely.linmei/comment201112

Posted by: Christian Louboutin | Dec 7, 2011 9:46:08 PM

21. I will be excited about every single bit of details anyone publish the following. Will certainly be back often for you to learn more modifications. liulipingcomment201203blog

Posted by: cheap jeans | Mar 31, 2012 5:05:55 AM

22. Thoroughly, the particular submit is strictly the ideal on this laudable matter. My spouse and i pull together with your a conclusion and definately will excitedly sit up for your current potential refreshes. liulipingcomment201205

Posted by: oakley glasses | May 3, 2012 12:04:33 AM

23. Thoroughly, the particular submit is strictly the ideal on this laudable matter. My spouse and i pull together with your a conclusion and definately will excitedly sit up for your current potential refreshes. liulipingcomment201205

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2009/11/espada.html#ixzz1wteRh6qt