Crime | News | Puerto Rico

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Statement by Gay Mother of Slain Teen Jorge Mercado

Miriammercado

UPDATED

Over the weekend I posted this statement from the mother of gay 19-year-old Puerto Rican Jorge Steven Lopez Mercado, who was brutally murdered last week for being gay.

“When my son told me he was gay, I told him, ‘Now, I love you more.’ I want to tell the world that hatred is not born with human beings, it is a seed that is planted by adults and is fostered creating a climate of intolerance and violence. We must change our ways and understand that anyone …could have been my son. And I want everybody to know that Jorge Steven was a very much loved son.”

Now there's a video from Miriam Mercado, thanking supporters.

Watch, it AFTER THE JUMP...

Vigils were held around the country yesterday.

(thanks to Andres Duques at Blabbeando)

Comments

1. What a wonderful woman and parent. I am heartbroken for her loss. It is a small consolation to know that Jorge had such a wonderful family in his all too brief life.

Posted by: Joe in PHX | Nov 22, 2009 10:32:24 AM

2. I want to tell the world that hatred is not born with human beings, it is a seed that is planted by adults and is fostered creating a climate of intolerance and violence. <--- well said.

Posted by: Peter | Nov 22, 2009 10:44:37 AM

3. Amazing words from an obviously amazing woman.

The people that killed that boy should be killed in the exact same way.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 22, 2009 11:07:19 AM

4. But honestly Bobby, where would we start?

Posted by: Marc C | Nov 22, 2009 12:54:44 PM

5. "Now, I love you more." Wow.

This family deserves to be honored.

A mother to us all.

I'm crying now. I'm tired of crying.

Posted by: kody | Nov 22, 2009 1:01:01 PM

6. As with the parents of the 10 year old who would not say the pledge until gays had equal rights, this young man was pleased with wonderful caring parents. I hope that made the struggle he had to deal with a bit easier, and knew how lucky he was until the animal took his life.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 22, 2009 1:01:45 PM

7. What "people", Bobby? Wasn't it just one person, the prostitution client who (wittingly or unwittingly) picked him up?

Posted by: JT | Nov 22, 2009 1:57:41 PM

8. What a wonderful and loving mom. I mourn for her loss. She didn't deserve this. Jorge didn't deserve this. None of us does. :(

Posted by: sparks | Nov 22, 2009 2:05:46 PM

9. Wow, just wow and a thumbs up at these words of Ms. Mercado's.

Now I've got tears in my eyes too.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Nov 22, 2009 2:22:00 PM

10. If only all parents were like her, the sucides and homelessness that so many gay & lesbian youth face would drop.

Posted by: Zach | Nov 22, 2009 4:22:41 PM

11. I really love how in the face of so much hate, and we think the world is turning back, a LIGHT appears shining bright and ever so strongly with so much LOVE.

That my friends is what always.

LOVE not hate.

This lady's words are beyond beautiful.

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 22, 2009 10:27:20 PM

12. The headline of this post is "Watch: Statement by Gay Mother of Slain Teen Jorge Mercado." While it is certainly possible that Ms. Mercado is gay, I don't get the sense that that was what you were trying to communicate with the post title.

Posted by: Thomasina | Nov 23, 2009 1:16:57 PM

13. What a great lady.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Nov 23, 2009 3:55:45 PM

14. i saw her, and i saw the face of judy shephard superimposed. maybe mothers around the world, in every language could come together, via youtube or in person, and carry this message to governments and churches around the world.

i'm tired of crying too...

Posted by: jack | Nov 23, 2009 4:46:55 PM

15. You've got to be taught to hate and fear; you've got to be taught from year to year; it's got be drummed in your dear little ear; you've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid of people whose eyes are oddly made and people whose skin is a different shade; you've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late, before you are six or seven or eight, to hate all the people your relatives hate, you've got to be carefully taught...you've got to be carefully taught!

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 23, 2009 6:55:37 PM

16. What wonderful words to say. When my mother found out my brother was gay she said "I would rather you be dead than that." It breaks my heart that my own mother does not value her own son. Miriam Mercado could teach my mother and the world the true meaning of love, compasion, and tolerance.

Posted by: Joyce | Nov 24, 2009 3:33:20 PM

17. What a wonderful woman. I do not cry easily, but by the time I was done reading what was done to that boy tears were streaming down my face. I can't even imagine the level of hate that the killer has for gay people. The rage it takes to chop a body apart like that is too frightening to wrap my head around.How many people have thought of doing that to me or my friends ?

Posted by: Michael P | Nov 24, 2009 5:16:25 PM

18. mazing. This is heartbreaking and horrible.
    She is so wise. And someone above me said The Mothers of the World should come together. I support that!! AMAZING idea. We've seen what man has done to the world, time to see what we can do for the world, and for each other.
    And that song from South Pacific! Good thinking :) Very fitting