Comments

1. Joe in PHX says

What a wonderful woman and parent. I am heartbroken for her loss. It is a small consolation to know that Jorge had such a wonderful family in his all too brief life.

2. Peter says

I want to tell the world that hatred is not born with human beings, it is a seed that is planted by adults and is fostered creating a climate of intolerance and violence. <— well said.

3. patrick nyc says

As with the parents of the 10 year old who would not say the pledge until gays had equal rights, this young man was pleased with wonderful caring parents. I hope that made the struggle he had to deal with a bit easier, and knew how lucky he was until the animal took his life.

4. FunMe says

I really love how in the face of so much hate, and we think the world is turning back, a LIGHT appears shining bright and ever so strongly with so much LOVE.

That my friends is what always.

LOVE not hate.

This lady’s words are beyond beautiful.

5. Thomasina says

The headline of this post is “Watch: Statement by Gay Mother of Slain Teen Jorge Mercado.” While it is certainly possible that Ms. Mercado is gay, I don’t get the sense that that was what you were trying to communicate with the post title.

6. jack says

i saw her, and i saw the face of judy shephard superimposed. maybe mothers around the world, in every language could come together, via youtube or in person, and carry this message to governments and churches around the world.

i’m tired of crying too…

7. Joseph says

You’ve got to be taught to hate and fear; you’ve got to be taught from year to year; it’s got be drummed in your dear little ear; you’ve got to be carefully taught.

You’ve got to be taught to be afraid of people whose eyes are oddly made and people whose skin is a different shade; you’ve got to be carefully taught.

You’ve got to be taught before it’s too late, before you are six or seven or eight, to hate all the people your relatives hate, you’ve got to be carefully taught…you’ve got to be carefully taught!

8. Joyce says

What wonderful words to say. When my mother found out my brother was gay she said “I would rather you be dead than that.” It breaks my heart that my own mother does not value her own son. Miriam Mercado could teach my mother and the world the true meaning of love, compasion, and tolerance.

9. Michael P says

What a wonderful woman. I do not cry easily, but by the time I was done reading what was done to that boy tears were streaming down my face. I can’t even imagine the level of hate that the killer has for gay people. The rage it takes to chop a body apart like that is too frightening to wrap my head around.How many people have thought of doing that to me or my friends ?

10. says

mazing. This is heartbreaking and horrible.
    She is so wise. And someone above me said The Mothers of the World should come together. I support that!! AMAZING idea. We’ve seen what man has done to the world, time to see what we can do for the world, and for each other.
    And that song from South Pacific! Good thinking :) Very fitting