Crime | Missouri | News | St. Louis

Three Gay Men Assaulted in St. Louis; Attackers Yelled 'Faggots'

Jacob

Three gay men were attacked leaving The Complex Nightclub in St. Louis early Saturday morning, KSDK reports:

Complex "Jacob Piwowarczyk says, 'I have a soft tissue bruise on my elbow. I have six stitches in my eye and I have a mild concussion.' These are the physical reminders, of a night Piwowarczyk won't soon forget. He and two friends were leaving the Complex Nightclub when it happened. Piwowarczyk says, 'They came up out of the car and they start calling us f*^%#.' He says there were four of them, men who had just left another bar that shares the parking lot. He says, 'We kept telling them please leave us alone, we're fine. From there, the one kid didn't like what we told them and decided to punch me in the eye and I fell to the ground. And at that time my friend was laying on the ground and they started kicking him in the face.' First security responded, then police. But by the time they arrived, the suspects were gone. Police say they are searching for the men and call this an on-going investigation. According to the victims, the suspects drove off in a black SUV with Illinois plates."

According to the Vital Voice, "Missouri was one of the first states to include both sexual orientation and gender identity protections in its 1999 Hate Crimes Law signed by Gov. Mel Carnahan. The new Federal Hate Crimes Law, which was signed by President Obama in October, offers similar protections."

Watch a report and interview with Piwowarczyk, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Why don't these guys FIGHT BACK!?! Ugh. I don't get it, the more we fight back the less we will be picked on for being gay! They think we are easy targets and therefore are going to continue to harass us! Side note Jacob is a HOTTIE. lol.

Posted by: J. Bocca | Nov 30, 2009 8:42:41 AM

2. Sincere good wishes and hugs to those guys who were assaulted. I hope they will soon recover from the vicious attack. I hope that the perpetrators will be caught before they can continue their bigoted criminal assaults on someone else.
    BTW not everyone can fight back.......but I agree that if you can, then bring it on.
    Get well, friends.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 30, 2009 9:20:50 AM

3. Three guys and they all crumpled to the ground defenseless? That's why these punks pick on the gays cuz they won't fight back. geez.

Posted by: niles | Nov 30, 2009 9:23:37 AM

4. "Something that we can all learn from".....yeah, basic stuff, like having security staff and/or cameras in the car park for the protection of patrons paying for these bars ! I see the building , I do not see any security cameras.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 30, 2009 9:30:22 AM

5. I love how the victims were attacked and all people do is say they didn't fight back and blame them. Some people have fought back and end up dead. Why not try insulting the perps instead of attacking the victims?

Posted by: Zach | Nov 30, 2009 9:37:39 AM

6. I totally agree, we need to start fighting back and not being easy targets. This will only keep going and going and going until we start defending our selves and showing the public that were not taking there crap anymore. We can not depend on police or for that matter Barney Fife and his roaming security force. Until we start punching back this will keep happening....
    and yes I think he's cute as well...:0)

Posted by: xman | Nov 30, 2009 9:43:21 AM

7. In the article it states that security and police responded - the facts are a bit more clouded..the private security firm responded to this incident and allowed the attackers to leave the premises instead of detaining them..other patrons called police, who didn't want to respond to the bar (police in St. Louis very rarely respond to incidents at bars - too much paperwork if they see other problems).

Posted by: Rich B | Nov 30, 2009 10:18:15 AM

8. I've been to The Complex a few times over the years. It's not in the nicest area of town (but then when *are* gay bars in Midwestern cities ever in nicer areas?) and the entrance is around the back, facing an alley. Having better lighting, cameras and visible security personnel would definitely be helpful.

But please don't get the wrong impression about St. Louis. We have a number of gay, lesbian, and mixed bars here, and incidents like this are pretty rare -- at least reported ones. The gay community in St. Louis is very much open and visible, and while there are neighborhoods with higher concentrations of LGBT people living in them, those of us who don't live in predominantly LGBT neighborhoods can still live our lives openly and safely. Here, it's more important that you're a good neighbor than if you're gay or straight.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims of the attack over the weekend, and hopes that the thugs (for that's most likely what they were) who committed the attacks are quickly found and prosecuted.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Nov 30, 2009 10:28:03 AM

9. " (but then when *are* gay bars in Midwestern cities ever in nicer areas?)"

Really??? What about Chicago and Kansas City? I'd consider both to have the gay village in the nicer parts of town.

Posted by: unruly | Nov 30, 2009 11:01:32 AM

10. You losers need to quit blaming the victims.

Sorry to hear about this horrible news.

Posted by: KFLO | Nov 30, 2009 11:02:26 AM

11. " (but then when *are* gay bars in Midwestern cities ever in nicer areas?)"

Not so in the Twin Cities.

Zach has a good point. When we (meaning the LGBT community) blame the victims, we are officially part of the problem. If you are assaulted, go for it an fight, but please don't blame others for approaching the problem differently.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 30, 2009 11:46:34 AM

12. First J Bocca blames the victims for trying to avoid escalating the incident and then he turns Jacob into a piece of meat (giggle, giggle "Jacob is a hottie"). Gross. Our own worst enemies.

Posted by: J Edwards | Nov 30, 2009 12:09:32 PM

13. unruly

Yep. Here comes these coastals again who think they have it all going on, evidently.

Besides, I think we've heard more about gay bashings in coastal cities like SEATTLE than anyplace in the Midwest over the past year or 2.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Nov 30, 2009 12:10:40 PM

14. All these people saying fight back...I would like to see them after they have been relaxing with a few drinks and are total taken by surprise by a bunch of assailaints..if people like "Nile" and "J Bocca" would turn into a couple of cage fighters instantaneously.

Sometimes the shock of being assualted overwhelms the response to fight back. It is not so easy. That is why the nervous systemm response is called "Fight OR Flight."

So unless you have been put in that situation - you should shut up. Yeah - it would be nice to see the victims fight back. But not everyone has that in them.

Posted by: Tell it like it is | Nov 30, 2009 12:26:25 PM

15. Lets face it - We're targets, regarless of whether we fight back. But Local GLBT groups need to be proactive, start or facilitate self-defense training; encourage and train people to carry pepper spray, tasers, etc. Program cell phones for voice dialing of 911. A friend of mine was mugged on the metro this past weekend by three thugs who wanted his blackberry. I think i'll apply for a handgun carry permit.

Posted by: grego | Nov 30, 2009 12:57:45 PM

16. JEDWARDS FUCK OFF. I did NOT blame the fucking victims, god you mary's are impossible. I guess when Black people were struggling for equality and they were encouraged to "Fight back" and stick up for themselves, also translates into blaming them for being victims? Is that your logic? I merely am TIRED of seeing these stories in the paper/internet and hearing that there is a group of gay men and not one had the courage to defend themselves! It's disappointing and enough is enough. Of course I feel bad for these guys and think its disgusting that we even have to defend ourselves but NO ONE is going to take us seriously if each time we are confronted with bigotry we roll over like a scared dog. ASSHOLE.

Posted by: J. Bocca | Nov 30, 2009 1:16:07 PM

17. OK, why did KSDK find it necessary to bleep out the word "f a g g o t s" in the clip and in print? How infantile.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 30, 2009 1:23:06 PM

18. Lots of men who have been trained in boxing, martial arts, self-defence, whatever else have said that they have frozen when confronted by a group of people in such a situation, it doesn't matter what they're sexual preference is or why they are being attacked. Fear can simply get the better of you. Lots of men have not fought back in such a situation, we simply hear about it more when it happens to gay men being attacked for being gay than men in any other situation. If something like that were to happen to me I am not sure what I would do. Let's avoid blaming victims for their fears and start blaming attackers for their violence.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Nov 30, 2009 2:36:50 PM

19. Omg WHA WHA WHA, If I hear one more of you dumbasses say that anyone is "blaming the victim" I will commit a hate crime on you myself! Jesus! Since when is encouraging gay men to stick up for themselves and DEFEND themselves and their friends a BAD THING? Maybe if our community had more of a fight back approach to bigotry we wouldn't be reading headline after headline of gay been being beatin up and in stitches and the perps escaping into thin air!

Posted by: J. Bocca | Nov 30, 2009 2:47:07 PM

20. I was in a foursome of adults once back in the early 90s and we were physically attacked by 5 name-calling teenagers in broad daylight in a busy retail district. Those boys were really sorry they tried f*cking with us and left with extremely sore balls and a lot of bruises. When attacked, I started kicking and aiming for crotches. Believe me, it worked. You don't have to take this crap. FIGHT BACK, men!

Posted by: johnny | Nov 30, 2009 3:16:07 PM

21. St. Louis on several occasions over the past decade has come in #1 as the most dangerous city in America by Forbes, MorganQuitno, et al., It always makes the top 10.

I'm not hating on St. Louis, but word to the wise, gay or whatever.

DENVER POLICE made over 30 arrests today of young black males, in groups, assaulting white and Latino males in downtown Denver. There have been dozens of reported assaults. The cops, DA, news media are all admitting they were racially motivated.

Everybody just be alert and stay aware.

Posted by: John in Boston | Nov 30, 2009 3:27:18 PM

22. I also do not like the tone of the remarks some of you are making about fighting back. Of course that is a good idea and actually it does not say they did or did not. But they were surprised and at some point fell down and usually it is multiple people bashing them. I do not think they just rolled into a fetal position and did not try to fight to defend themselves. You are presuming they did not fight back. I bet they did. You can fight back and still have the injury he does. I agree to fight back but your tone comes across more blaming the victims than the attackers. Why is that necessary? Give the advice but guess what, that is not why gays are beaten and bashed. That is caused by hate and insecurity! They did not do anything to be beaten and for all we know they fought back. You act like no gay man in these stories that get posted has ever done so. That is just silly and I don't believe it. Just because it is not stated in the brief synopsis on this site does not mean it did not happen!

Posted by: Rann | Nov 30, 2009 3:42:05 PM

23. I say fight back. Start carrying a gun. Whatever happened to the Pink Pistols?

Posted by: livingInVirginia | Nov 30, 2009 3:48:58 PM

24. "DENVER POLICE made over 30 arrests today of young black males, in groups, assaulting white and Latino males in downtown Denver."

...oughtta' round up all their black asses and ship 'em to Boston,

that's what I says...gimme another one, bartender.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 30, 2009 4:25:06 PM

25. Denver police arrest 32 in series of downtown assaults
    Racially motivated downtown attacks

The Denver Police Department arrested 32 men and juvenile boys after a months-long undercover investigation into what police said were racially motivated assaults and robberies in downtown Denver, including the LoDo entertainment district.

'A task force composed of Denver police, the FBI and the Denver district attorney's office investigated 26 incidents in which groups of black males verbally harassed, assaulted and at times robbed white or Latino males, according to Denver Police Chief Gerry Whitman.'

No Derrick, I didn't make it up. MOST of this stuff is un-reported, so it's the tip of the iceberg. Should it be covered up so as not to upset Derrick in Philadelphia?

Posted by: John in Boston | Nov 30, 2009 5:02:23 PM