Glee | I'm Not Gay | Matthew Morrison | News

BigGayDeal.com

Glee's Matthew Morrison: I'm Not Gay

In a new profile in Elle magazine, Glee's Matthew Morrison says that despite the fact he appears in gay magazines, is discussed on hook-up sites, and is in musical theater, he's not gay.

Mm ELLE: So, Matt, you’re a musical theater star who’s been interviewed by The Advocate and much discussed on Manhunt.com, and you star in Glee, a program that’s referred to as “the gayest show on TV.” You must feel particularly proud being the first gay man to grace this page.

MATTHEW MORRISON: I’m not gay.

ELLE: I had indeed read in various places that you’re straight, but in light of the circumstantial evidence, I wasn’t sure.

MM: I grew up singing and dancing, so people have been calling me gay since fifth grade. I’ve heard everything you could possibly hear about it. But I do love gay people, so I’m not going to act like I was insulted or angry about it.

ELLE: But do you ever do anything to suppress your gayest traits? Like, on a club dance floor, will you keep a lid on your best moves in order not to look too much like Tommy Tune out there?

MM: Oh, yeah. I’ll do what I refer to as “the shoulder dance,” just, you know, move my shoulders and do a little head bobbing.

ELLE: What was the first moment you realized you were a heterosexual being?

MM: I was really sexual from an early age. My first kiss was actually with two girls at the same time. One girl would be behind the bush with me for a minute and the other girl would be timing us. Then they’d switch.

Comments

1. Another HOT straight ally. Good for him! And...nice body!

Posted by: Chris in Long Beach | Dec 23, 2009 8:57:53 AM

2. No gay man would be caught with his pants down in those boxer briefs, but good for him. He's terrific on Glee!

Posted by: Pierce_mn | Dec 23, 2009 9:03:39 AM

3. I've seen him dance. He's so not gay.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 23, 2009 9:13:11 AM

4. He does his absolute best to answer really, really bad questions with a bit of dignity. He's a good man!

Posted by: jason | Dec 23, 2009 9:16:57 AM

5. He's not gay. No problem--we don't need any more. We're up to our asses in gays.

I have no holiday spirit what so ever this year.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 23, 2009 9:19:33 AM

6. Well done, Mr. Morrison.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Dec 23, 2009 9:21:28 AM

7. I don't care what he is...now I have lots of respect for him.

Posted by: cknyc | Dec 23, 2009 9:28:49 AM

8. Pierce_mn |--- please girlfriend many gay men have the worst taste on the planet --- and he looks like many circuit queens in that picture

Posted by: Walter | Dec 23, 2009 9:33:12 AM

9. That's a pic from Broadway Bares, the Equity Fights Aids fundraiser he did a few years back. Those boxer briefs are exposed only after a giant humpty-dumpty suit broke away... don't ask, just youtube it. This man is a gem - let's have more straight guys like that!!

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 23, 2009 9:36:54 AM

10. I think he is super duper.

Posted by: Blair | Dec 23, 2009 9:53:27 AM

11. Sorry about your lack of spirit, Derrick, but you made me laugh.

And see? Those straight people can do anything they put their minds to -- even musical theatre!

Posted by: tjc | Dec 23, 2009 9:56:47 AM

12. I ran Matthew through my Gaydar 2010™. It came back with a big zero. Darn the luck.

Good looking, hot body, great actor, dancer and singer (on Glee) + he supports gay causes. What's not to like? He's a terrific guy.

Posted by: David in Houston | Dec 23, 2009 9:56:54 AM

13. He may not be gay but a gay man is most certainly dressing him!

Posted by: Warren | Dec 23, 2009 10:03:01 AM

14. Is this some kind of sick joke or is that seriously transcripts from a magazine interview? WHO THE F8CK HIRED THAT INTERVIEWER?

Please tell me those questions were not really asked. I should be offended by them but instead I genuinly wonder how many dicks and snatches that b8tch had to lick to be employed in that magazine. ...W...T...F!

Posted by: Bayley | Dec 23, 2009 10:10:11 AM

15. Never heard of him but he's in great shape.

Posted by: Jimmy/Boston | Dec 23, 2009 10:38:43 AM

16. I *heart* Matthew Morrison. I asked Santa for one and we'll see what's in my stocking on Friday.

Posted by: Alex | Dec 23, 2009 10:42:55 AM

17. THANK YOU, BAYLEY! I was wondering when someone was gonna say it. I was incredulous at the presumptuous and rudeness of the interviewer. Maybe it reads differently in context?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Dec 23, 2009 11:21:37 AM

18. He's a good guy. That Elle interviewer, on the other hand, sounds like a dizzy cunt.
    Since when is "Manhunt" considered a reliable source for anything other than blowjobs and STDs?

Posted by: TPL | Dec 23, 2009 11:23:35 AM

19. @BAYLEY... I actually think the interviewer and MM were both having some fun with the deliberately silly questions, knowing how people tend to make assumptions about people's sexual orientation based on perceived "gay traits".

Posted by: RJ | Dec 23, 2009 11:24:09 AM

20. TPL you just made me LMFAO and orange juice almost came out of my nose. As for commenting on Mr. Morrison, I'm glad he is straight, that just makes him MORE appealing.

Posted by: MDtopdad | Dec 23, 2009 11:30:24 AM

21. I actually think the interviewer must have a few gay friends coaching her... seriously, what straight girl is keeping up w/ chats on MANHUNT? What straight girl even knows about MANHUNT?

As for the outfit, I love the guy- but I believe he's straight. :)

Posted by: stephen | Dec 23, 2009 11:32:15 AM

22. he was very dignified when he had to answer those sade questions. Good for him....AS for te interviewer..your "manhate" is showing....

Posted by: alan brickman | Dec 23, 2009 11:39:35 AM

23. I had the joy of working with Matt on Broadway Bares. Yes, he is straight and very comfortable with himself and a great supporter of Broadway Cares/Equity FIghts AIDS. AND a really hard worker. During rehearsals, he never held back, gave it his all and all while performing in SOUTH Pacific at night. He's one of those few who really deserve all that he's gotten. All that and a smile that can melt you!

Posted by: Peter | Dec 23, 2009 11:42:12 AM

24. He looks like Strawberry Shortcake's younger brother, Passionberry Beefcake.

Love him and agree, we need more straight allies like him.

Posted by: RONTEX | Dec 23, 2009 11:47:03 AM

25. Granted, it's been several years... but I don't ever remember celebrity news being a hot topic on Manhunt.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 23, 2009 11:53:32 AM