Glee‘s Matthew Morrison: I’m Not Gay

In a new profile in Elle magazine, Glee's Matthew Morrison says that despite the fact he appears in gay magazines, is discussed on hook-up sites, and is in musical theater, he's not gay.

Mm ELLE: So, Matt, you’re a musical theater star who’s been interviewed by The Advocate and much discussed on Manhunt.com, and you star in Glee, a program that’s referred to as “the gayest show on TV.” You must feel particularly proud being the first gay man to grace this page.

MATTHEW MORRISON: I’m not gay.

ELLE: I had indeed read in various places that you’re straight, but in light of the circumstantial evidence, I wasn’t sure.

MM: I grew up singing and dancing, so people have been calling me gay since fifth grade. I’ve heard everything you could possibly hear about it. But I do love gay people, so I’m not going to act like I was insulted or angry about it.

ELLE: But do you ever do anything to suppress your gayest traits? Like, on a club dance floor, will you keep a lid on your best moves in order not to look too much like Tommy Tune out there?

MM: Oh, yeah. I’ll do what I refer to as “the shoulder dance,” just, you know, move my shoulders and do a little head bobbing.

ELLE: What was the first moment you realized you were a heterosexual being?

MM: I was really sexual from an early age. My first kiss was actually with two girls at the same time. One girl would be behind the bush with me for a minute and the other girl would be timing us. Then they’d switch.

Comments

1. Jeff says

That’s a pic from Broadway Bares, the Equity Fights Aids fundraiser he did a few years back. Those boxer briefs are exposed only after a giant humpty-dumpty suit broke away… don’t ask, just youtube it. This man is a gem – let’s have more straight guys like that!!

2. tjc says

Sorry about your lack of spirit, Derrick, but you made me laugh.

And see? Those straight people can do anything they put their minds to — even musical theatre!

3. David in Houston says

I ran Matthew through my Gaydar 2010™. It came back with a big zero. Darn the luck.

Good looking, hot body, great actor, dancer and singer (on Glee) + he supports gay causes. What’s not to like? He’s a terrific guy.

4. Bayley says

5. soulbrotha says

THANK YOU, BAYLEY! I was wondering when someone was gonna say it. I was incredulous at the presumptuous and rudeness of the interviewer. Maybe it reads differently in context?

6. TPL says

He’s a good guy. That Elle interviewer, on the other hand, sounds like a dizzy cunt.
    Since when is “Manhunt” considered a reliable source for anything other than blowjobs and STDs?

7. RJ says

@BAYLEY… I actually think the interviewer and MM were both having some fun with the deliberately silly questions, knowing how people tend to make assumptions about people’s sexual orientation based on perceived “gay traits”.

8. MDtopdad says

TPL you just made me LMFAO and orange juice almost came out of my nose. As for commenting on Mr. Morrison, I’m glad he is straight, that just makes him MORE appealing.

9. stephen says

I actually think the interviewer must have a few gay friends coaching her… seriously, what straight girl is keeping up w/ chats on MANHUNT? What straight girl even knows about MANHUNT?

As for the outfit, I love the guy- but I believe he’s straight. :)

10. Peter says

I had the joy of working with Matt on Broadway Bares. Yes, he is straight and very comfortable with himself and a great supporter of Broadway Cares/Equity FIghts AIDS. AND a really hard worker. During rehearsals, he never held back, gave it his all and all while performing in SOUTH Pacific at night. He’s one of those few who really deserve all that he’s gotten. All that and a smile that can melt you!

11. patrick nyc says

DERRICK FROM PHILLY

I know how you feel. I’ve been sort of out of the mood since my parents both passed away in ’06. I didn’t do a tree or go and see the family the first year. I forced myself afterwards, but this year I am looking forward. I hope you can find what is good about the season, to find the good in others, not always an easy task.

Here’s a bit of Neil Patrick Harris to help you along.

A Happy Holiday to all here and especially to ANDY, who does a great job in running the blog.

12. Gabe R L says

So far, I do not know enough about Morrison to give a definite opinion about his sexuality. I will say that to people who are insisting he{s straight- I’ve come across a number of guys people insist are straight bases on their demeanour, mannerisms, the fact that they are comfortable dating and being intimate with women, etc., only to find out they are in fact gay. A lot of gay men who claim they have such great gaydar miss these men all the time. As such I am not going to fawn all over him for being a ”straight’ ally’ until I believe he is one, and not a guy hiding his sexuality. In show business and fashion, you can’t just take someone’s word for it.

13. Gabe R L says

I just might add that its sad that people have to be so focused on his sexual preference anyway, can’t the man just be himself? But I will say that enjoying kissing girls isn{t proof that one isn’t gay. There have been gay men who have done that. And saying that someone is even hotter because you believe they are straight says much about how much gay pride has not accomplished.

14. ThomT says

I simply love a man who can deny being gay without acting as if he’s been insulted. He “loves” gay people and his answer also proves he respects them. Good for him – hope he has a long and successful career. I love him on “Glee”.

I honestly believe that the interview was done tongue in cheek and found it rather humorous. Morrison handled himself perfectly and I expect that is exactly what the interviewer wanted and was expecting.

15. Derrick from Philly says

I wish happy holidays for you, your brothers and sisters, and all those nieces and nephews….and hopefully, somebody special for ONLY you up there in that big ol’ ROTTE…I mean, HOT APPLE. Have a good, Patrick.

Maybe I’ll find some other holiday to celebrate. Maybe Chanukah! Now, all I have to do is find me a sexy dark Isreali…tall or short–it doesn’t matter.

16. fred says

Not to stir the pot too much – because I can take it or leave it with this guy – but what about that widely disseminated picture of him making out with some other guy at a bar? It might have been taken out of context but it seemed rather clear.

17. clayton says

“But do you ever do anything to suppress your gayest traits?”

I wish he had responded, “Like what, bitch? Wanting to suck every cock in the room?”

god bless him for putting up with such incompetence, but seriously, i would have walked out of the interview at that point.

well said, Bayley.

18. jason says

What a stupid, repulsive magazine this Elle magazine is. It seems to have been written by air-head women who don’t understand male sexuality at all and who think dancing is gay or the clothes you were are gay.

Message to Elle magazine and its vile, repulsive females: get lost, sisters.

19. TANK says

Patrick, I thought you should know since you’re pushin’…sixty, is it? Anyways, there is no santa…sorry. You’re not on his naughty list; it was your parents the whole time.

Hey, hanukkah’s over…so let’s…christmas cheer!

20. Craig says

Okay, I think I broke something laughing at “Passionberry Beefcake”.

And to the post mentioning “next season”: it’s still in THIS season. The show’s on hiatus. There are nine episodes left when it returns.

21. Chris in Seattle says

The interviewer isn’t dumb. The entire thing was done tongue in cheek, making fun of the fact that everybody assumes that all broadway men are gay. Not all theatre guys are gay, but most theatre guys are very gay friendly..its just the nature of the business. I know Matthew, and he is very straight and very comfortable in his sexuality.

The only sad thing about this article is that there still has never been a gay hunk of the month in Elle Magazine.

22. Curtis says

Why are we, as a society, consumed with everyone’s sexual orientation?!? Gays make a bigger deal out of their sexuality than heterosexual’s do?!? If we all just went on living our lives like “normal” being gay would not be that big of a deal.

And I agrree with Bayley; was the interviewer a legit journalist? ELLE should be ashamed!

23. patrick nyc says

Very classy Tank, mocking my dead parents. Not a surprise coming from a douche bag like yourself. I wonder how many times you were dropped on your head to become this stupid.

24. TANK says

No, patrick, I wasn’t mocking your dead parents. I was mocking you. Herro. And also, why do you wear your personal life on your sleeve? It’s kinda yuck. Get a therapist. They, at least, are paid to listen to you talk about yourself. Anyway, happy goymas.

25. TANK says

Curtis, why do you THINK gay people make a big deal about their sexuality and straight people don’t? Straight people don’t have to–they’re the vast majority, and it is assumed by them that others are like them. They aren’t constantly beset by bigotry about their sexual orientation, whereas gay people are. CONSTANTLY. They aren’t forced into the position of proving legitimacy, and never have to defend themselves against sleights about their sexual orientation. It’s called heterosexual privilege, numbfuck. If homophobia didn’t exist, gay people wouldn’t make such a big deal about their sexuality–at least not anymore than heterosexuals do…which is more than gay people do, in fact. It’s how they enforce bigotry…by making a big deal about their sexuality.

26. patrick nyc says

If I went to therapy Tank I would not have the time to push your buttons. That is much more entertaining for me, and costs a lot less. Enjoy your holidays as well.

27. Charles says

Excellent post:

“Is this some kind of sick joke or is that seriously transcripts from a magazine interview? WHO THE F8CK HIRED THAT INTERVIEWER?

Please tell me those questions were not really asked. I should be offended by them but instead I genuinly wonder how many dicks and snatches that b8tch had to lick to be employed in that magazine. …W…T…F!”

Just because someone is interviewed by a gay mag or is discussed in a gay forum does not equal being gay. Even if he is suspected of being gay or bisexual it is up to him to reveal the facts if and when he is emotionally and professionally ready.