Gay Marriage | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Heterosexual NY Woman Selling Her Right to Marry on eBay

Righttomarry

Jamie Frevele, a heterosexual New York woman who says she's not getting married, is selling her right to marry on eBay in support of those who can't.

She writes:

I'm an unmarried heterosexual woman, and since I probably won't be using my right to get married, I would like to give it away. I would like to sell it to the highest bidder and donate the proceeds to an organization that supports LGBT rights since the government designed to protect all of us is picking and choosing based on what they think is icky, weird, or unkown to them.

Bid now, and you can have my super wonderful privilege and legal ability to get married as many times as you want in a classy place like the one pictured. You don't have to know the person, you don't have to like them, you don't have to think through your decision to get married or anything - you can just do it! Because you can! Come on, it's cool to get married, and think of the pictures you'll have to show people of this person that they will definitely think is so wrong for you and probably is! But heavens to BETSY, do NOT marry someone of the same gender because that would be a mockery of the institution of marriage.

And if it doesn't work out, just get divorced. Half the cool people who get married do that anyway.

I will write you up a fancy, wonderful, articulate proclamation handing over my right to get married. I have no official documentation because this is something I was born with since I was born heterosexual. Unfortunately, this is only a symbolic gesture. However, since I'm picky and difficult, it's probably something that, if a physical object, would have been considered pristine and shiny after some dusting. Your bid, on the other hand, is real, and the donation you make to an organization that supports those who have been treated as second-class citizens will be well worth it.

Obviously, individual rights can't be purchased (and eBay will probably pull this soon anyway) but the gesture is appreciated.

Comments

1. This woman is AWESOME. I love her description!

Posted by: Andrew F | Dec 8, 2009 12:44:45 PM

2. Um. She's not REALLY selling her individual right to marry, Andy. What you forgot to mention is that the money raised from this auction will go towards a charity that supports gay rights and/or marriage equality.

Posted by: Smokey | Dec 8, 2009 12:44:48 PM

3. I second that, andrew f. She IS awesome! And a good writer!

Posted by: Michael W. | Dec 8, 2009 1:00:54 PM

4. Smokey, I think you miss the point. The church and christian idealogues constantly pounce on the notion of "the sanctity of marriage" when in fact it has become a joke. That's not to say it's a wonderful notion and can be beautiful (my parents have been married for 47 years and actually DO love each other). However, when the divorce rate is as high as it is in this country, I fail to see where the "sanctity" fits in. Just my two cents.

Posted by: Keith | Dec 8, 2009 1:37:17 PM

5. LOVE HER!!!

Posted by: Tom | Dec 8, 2009 1:52:06 PM

6. she's going to be on our show tomorrow night, seems very cool!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 8, 2009 2:51:26 PM

7. Fabulous sentiment. Bravo!!

Posted by: Rhea | Dec 8, 2009 3:50:45 PM

8. This woman has helped to restore my faith in humanity!

Posted by: Sav | Dec 8, 2009 5:35:20 PM

9. I appreciate the sentiment, but my pedantic nature is a bit annoyed at the wording of her auction. "The Right To Marry" is an ambiguous statement. Technically, all citizens of a majority age already have the right to marry. We just don't have the right to marry someone of the same sex; ie. the one we love. She should've said, "The Right To Marry The One I Love" - that would've been better.

Anyway, minor gripe. Hope she raises lots of money before it's pulled down.

Posted by: outoutout | Dec 8, 2009 8:21:19 PM