Andrew Sullivan | Joy Behar | News

BigGayDeal.com

Andrew Sullivan Given a 'Lefty' Welcome Basket by Joy Behar

Beharlefty

Joy Behar interviewed Andrew Sullivan last night, who recently announced on his blog that he's "leaving the right". Behar decided to offer him a "lefty basket" to welcome him. The basket contained a copy of The Nation, Michael Moore's Sicko, cruelty-free cupcakes, and a Dixie Chicks CD. Sullivan also went off on Sarah Palin's book, expressing incredulity over many of its claims, particularly a passage where she describes flying and giving a speech while in labor.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I've always felt guilty about having a crush on Andrew Sullivan. No longer.

Posted by: Alex | Dec 8, 2009 9:01:43 AM

2. Marx wrote of Edmund Burke, one of Sullivan's intellectual forebearers, "'The laws of commerce are the laws of Nature, and therefore the laws of God.' (Burke) No wonder that, true to the laws of God and Nature, he always sold himself in the best market."
    Sullivan can be proud of continuing the tradition.

Posted by: karhu | Dec 8, 2009 9:05:48 AM

3. Oh, wait, I read on his blog he's still a Tory. Back to guilty.

Posted by: Alex | Dec 8, 2009 9:13:57 AM

4. Cheech and Chong "Definitely for me"

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: Qjersey | Dec 8, 2009 9:36:53 AM

5. A day late and a dollar short? Or is it that no one is ever too late to make up for past mistakes? I'm glad he's finally willing to embrace his inner liberal. I wish more liberals would embrace their inner liberal -- this stuff on health care reform in DC is a disgrace. It makes me want to stay home in 2010.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 8, 2009 9:40:48 AM

6. I think the right left Andrew Sullivan, not the other way around.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 8, 2009 9:54:57 AM

7. he particularly liked a Cheech and Chong CD after he beat the rap for weed on Cape Cod.

Posted by: cd | Dec 8, 2009 10:04:13 AM

8. I have always liked Andrew, he is very bright, honest and has a great sense of decency.

Posted by: mike nyc | Dec 8, 2009 10:17:34 AM

9. Andrew Sullivan's attacks on Sarah Palin are not motivated by her conservative policy views; they are motivated by his misogyny. His attacks on Hillary Clinton were exactly the same.

Being gay does not give any of us the right to be misogynists.

Posted by: dk | Dec 8, 2009 10:19:06 AM

10. I'm a big fan of Andrew's blog, but he's always so hysterical in interviews. The two of them together are the mirror image of FOX talking heads.

Posted by: CM | Dec 8, 2009 10:47:14 AM

11. What took him so long? I always blamed his right wing sentiment on the fact that he is a fer-ner and doesn't understand American politics very well.

Posted by: ty | Dec 8, 2009 11:39:02 AM

12. Gay conservatives always seem to have to move left at some point. And the right seems to force gay conservatives out at some point.

Posted by: db | Dec 8, 2009 11:47:19 AM

13. Oh, no-o-o-o-o! Sarah Palin an Ohio State fan? I can't possibly have ANYTHING in common with her! Not my Buckeyes!

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Dec 8, 2009 11:48:28 AM

14. Ryan and Ty, Sullivan has been calling the Far Right and GOP hacks on their shit for years. He endorsed Kerry as a means to be rid of Bush. He attacked the GOP for ballooning the debt well before the end of Bush's term. Don't call him too late just because you don't keep current.

DK, you're simply an idiot.

Posted by: Clay | Dec 8, 2009 11:48:35 AM

15. I've never liked Andrew Sullivan. He scolded Bill Clinton endlessly about his perosnal transgressions but got busted posting M4M ads that failed to reveal his HIV-Positive status. Everytime he speaks he talks in this voice like he is the only voice of reason (It's not the accent it's him.)

He is just soooo self righteous.

Posted by: paul | Dec 8, 2009 12:23:17 PM

16. He not a lefty now, thank goddess - he's what he's always been - an opportunist, most talented at getting on talk shows, first as a "post-gay", then as a "conserv-gay", and now as a "I better jump on the bandwagon because I finally realize the world thinks conservatives are crazy-gay". He's a complete tool.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 8, 2009 12:33:11 PM

17. If you've read Sullivan at all, you'll clearly note the element of misogyny in his posts about Palin -- he's a man obsessed, not with her policy positions but everything about her, tackling her personal life with the venom reserved for battles between mortal enemies.

Sullivan spent a great deal of his life as an apologist for two vicious, gay-hating institutions -- the GOP and the Catholic Church. Only when the former rejected him openly with the proposed amendment to the Constitution did he embark on his road to Damascus and switch all of his positions. I don't know when he's going to leave the Church -- his posts describe an entity of love and caring that is entirely within his own imagination.

His current Obama love makes no sense, if Sullivan still believes in limited government and individualism. And yet there he is, punching the air with cheerleader pompoms, praising the man as his new Messiah. I GUARANTEE Sullivan will make a public break with Obama when the going gets tough.

All of this is too bad because he is a gifted writer and a wonderful editor. Oh well...

Posted by: Fred | Dec 8, 2009 12:37:12 PM

18. I call bullshit on those of you accusing Sullivan of misogyny. Maggie Thatcher is one of his biggest heroes. If you can't see past his critiques of Hillary and Palin because they are women, then you are either dense or a misogynist yourself (or both.) I often disagree with him-- I especially don't get why he's still so attached to the damnable Catholic Church-- but the man has integrity.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Dec 8, 2009 12:55:48 PM

19. @Derek: BWAHAHA, you obviously haven't read his blog much. The man is waaaaaay more obsessed with Palin than Clinton, and in a way that has been parodied across the Web. His criticisms are an order of magnitude beyond anything in standard political debate, his targets have ranged across every part of her life, including Birther-like attacks on her children, and his frantic, obsessive posts ("lies! lies! lies!") have made even some of his friends and employees worry about his sanity.

Also, he was largely in agreement with Thatcher for a long time, so she never incurred his wrath the way Palin has. Clearly, Palin triggers something in his psyche -- she freaks him the fuck out. The dude is in padded-cell territory, and yes, he is being an absolute misogynist in how he is treating her, which sadly undermines his credibility! (I loathe Palin.)

Posted by: Fred | Dec 8, 2009 1:09:47 PM

20. What a phony. How can you leave something you were never a part? I think I will storm out of the next White Party! That will fix them.

He and Joy Behar deserve each other.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Dec 8, 2009 1:25:18 PM

21. He never admits to being wrong, regardless of how he positions himself.

Posted by: anon | Dec 8, 2009 2:22:53 PM

22. Fred, no. I *have* read every post he's done about her. I read him daily, and sometimes want to push my hands through the screen and throttle some sense into him.

But his distaste for Palin is cannnot be characterized as misogynistic. His mania may have been triggered by her pregnancy story, which is not in itself misogynistic since he didn't seem to hate her for her womb, but what set him off was the attitude of "deference, please!" that absolutely surrounded her, from pundits to campaign handlers to Sarah herself. Which has led to ragegasms from Palin-supporters anytime anyone calls Palin on her bullsh!t.

It's that complicity between the media and politicians that freaks him the fuck out. I can't say I much like it either. These are civil servants, and every one of them needs to be reminded about for whom they work.

And, Anon? Google is your friend. Hint, Google this:
    site:andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com "I was wrong"

I predict *he'll* say he was wrong again before you have the balls to admit that you were.

Posted by: AG | Dec 8, 2009 3:01:36 PM

23. the "atlantic" debased itself by hiring this opportunistic charlatan. i agree with his sentiments regarding sarah palin, but he is a douche whose primary concern is to save his own ass. his opinions blow the way the political winds blow. shame on joy behar for giving this asshole a forum to blow his ill wind.

Posted by: nic | Dec 8, 2009 3:28:42 PM

24. Why the hell hasn't anyone taken this papal apologist to task about his addition to the Roman Catholic Church and their latest dick moves in DC and NY. Tiul then he can CHOKE on that basket and every other basket he sticks in his mouth.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Dec 8, 2009 6:55:58 PM

25. I'm a long-time reader of "Sully" and a follower of his career. He gives the uninitiated the impression of a "reasonable man," as is evidenced in the comments here and on the Huffington Post. Well, let me point you to the best--absolutely best--summary of his "break" from the Right (I hate even capitalizing it, even though it's right to do so). Summarizing this asshat, I give you:

Brilliantly writ from an obvious follower of Sully's follies.

Posted by: RecoveringTexan | Dec 9, 2009 3:33:03 AM