Gay Marriage | New York | News | Thomas Duane

NY Marriage Equality Vote: Sen. Addabbo Most Heinous Defector

Some insight into yesterday's bitter New York Senate marriage equality defeat from Gay City News about what happened yesterday:

Addabbo There was widespread speculation that at best 28 or 29 Democratic votes could be secured, which meant at least three Republicans had to be brought along.

If in fact some Republicans were taking a serious look at the legislation, it may have been the Democrats’ inability to muster more than 24 votes that led the GOP, after a bruising year in which control of the Senate changed party hands several times, to retreat from Skelos’ earlier commitment.

Certainly Van Capelle saved his strongest fire for a Democrat –– freshman Senator Joseph Addabbo of Queens.

“I think if there is disappointment in a real big way, I think I’m very disappointed in Joe Addabbo,” he said. “I think Joe Addabbo is better than his vote.”

Addabbo, who supported gay rights on the City Council and claimed an open mind on marriage equality in last fall’s campaign, was one of the prime recipients of support last fall from the Democratic State Senate Campaign Committee, to which the LGBT community made significant contributions. Addabbo also secured the maximum donation allowed –– $9,500 –– from software entrepreneur Tim Gill, founder of influential gay philanthropic and political action organizations.

Our Corey Johnson, who was in the gallery yesterday, told me independently that Addabbo was where the Democratic dominoes began falling.

Said Tom Duane to Gay City News of the eight who broke promises to him yesterday: "We should be incredibly angry. I’m incredibly angry. I think the community should be very, very, very, very, very angry. I’m not the one who ever lied throughout this entire process...I believe in redemption and rehabilitation. No matter what people did today, we need to quickly provide them an opportunity to redeem themselves. That will get us the votes we had, that we have, and that we rightly deserve."

There is a RALLY scheduled for tonight at 6 pm in Union Square to continue the fight for marriage equality.

Comments

1. We learn from this. We learn not to blindly follow these Democrats (who secretly hate us, but love our money).

Posted by: shane | Dec 3, 2009 7:47:20 AM

2. Gays need to run public office in greater numbers than they are now. If gays took their millions of dollars and supported their own candidates, while organizing their own political action committees, gays would be more effective. Right now, giving money to Democrats and Republicans is as effective as giving the cash to a faith-healing television evangelist, and then throwing their crutches off the stage while assuming they've been healed. Eventually, gays may discover that the only thing gays can gain from such naive exuberance is the need to buy a new pair of crutches and hobble home. Gays need to treat Democrats and Republicans with the same disdain they would have for any television evangelist promising a quick cure.

Posted by: David M | Dec 3, 2009 8:09:53 AM

3. I live in the 15th District of New York, the district that Sen. Addabbo represents in the senate. Here is a piece of the email I sent to him last night. (The entire email can be found on my blog.)

"I am not naïve, senator. I do not think if you had voted “YES” today that two gay men could walk hand-in-hand down Cross Bay Boulevard tomorrow. But because of your vote gay children in Howard Beach will continue to be bullied in school. Because of your vote gay men and lesbians will remain in the closet, denying their families and neighbors the chance to know them for who they really are. I know as well as you do that minorities have been killed in Howard Beach. Because of your vote today a minority group will continue to live in danger."

Posted by: DavidPNYC | Dec 3, 2009 8:26:27 AM

4. When will the rally in his district - the one that actually matters - be held?

Posted by: Dave | Dec 3, 2009 8:28:05 AM

5. Tom Duane says: "I believe in redemption and rehabilitation. No matter what people did today, we need to quickly provide them an opportunity to redeem themselves."

No, no, no, NO, NO, NO!!!! This is exactly the problem with the Democratic party. In politics, you do NOT say "gee, you really screwed us over what with derailing what the majority of the party wanted, but, hey, no big whoop, just maybe, perhaps, you know, if you really want to, could you, like, possibly, next time do the right thing?"

Nationally, we can call this the "Oh, but I hear Lieberman's really going to help us THIS time" philosophy.

No. When people within your party majorly screw over what the majority wants, you do everything possible to make them regret it. So THEY never do it again, and so that nobody else starts doing it, either. It's called party discipline, and its how things get done.

The Republicans, who claim to be Christian, actually aren't (they worship hate and money, not God), so they can do this easily. The Democrats who are slimed in the media as anti-religious, actually seem to think they ARE Christians, as they're turning the cheek every ten seconds and getting slapped back and forth like Faye Dunaway at the end of Chinatown.

No, Sen. Duane, you do NOT need to "quickly provide them an opportunity to redeem themselves." You need to make things really uncomfortable for them, so they quit screwing everybody over. That's how politics works.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Dec 3, 2009 9:22:58 AM

6. I completely disagree with Tom Duane comment: "I believe in redemption and rehabilitation. No matter what people did today, we need to quickly provide them an opportunity to redeem themselves."

What we should be doing is rallying to vote the people out of office that do not support civil rights for all American's period! After all that's why they voted no to save their seats because they believe this issue is to divisive. However polls in NYS show that 42% oppose and 52% support equality. We need people in office that support the people they represent and are on the right side of history.

Posted by: Warren | Dec 3, 2009 10:03:29 AM

7. I spent a week in Queens last year, volunteering to elect this asshole. If someone in his district wants to challenge him in the primary (or a pro-equality Republican in the general) I will put in TEN TIMES the effort to defeat him.

This is personal now, Joe. You took my support then slapped me and my family in the face. I want nothing more than to take you down, you lying, hypocritical, two-faced sack of shit.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 3, 2009 10:04:26 AM

8. It's too bad this has become such a NY-focused blog.

Posted by: eric | Dec 3, 2009 10:18:21 AM

9. I spent a week in Queens last year, volunteering to elect this asshole. If someone in his district wants to challenge him in the primary (or a pro-equality Republican in the general) I will put in TEN TIMES the effort to defeat him.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 3, 2009 10:35:19 AM

10. I agree—Addabbo is Gay Public Enemy #1 for this. The fact that his name alphabetically came at the top and had been expected to vote "yes" but voted "no" was a shock and probably scared the hell out of/emboldened all the other no votes, certainly the surprising ones.

But any gays who think the answer is to abandon the Dems is nuts. We don't need to abandon the Dems, we need more AND better Dems. Republicans would fit in over in Uganda.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Dec 3, 2009 11:07:50 AM

11. I'm sorry to say, because Duane seems like such a genuine guy, but it's his failure to lead here that may have really failed us. Not that I'm putting the blame on him per se, but you don't go out proclaiming you have votes secured, knowing they really aren't all that secure. And if so, you don't talk about "redemption."

A stronger leader from within the legislative body may have hammered this down.

Posted by: Bruno | Dec 3, 2009 2:05:26 PM

12. Eric, it's not become a "NY-focused blog". It's just that many of the people who come to Towleroad happen to live in NY and this particular news story affects us directly. Here's a suggestion: go somewhere else.

As for Tom Duane, boyfriend needs to wake up and face reality, which is: Duane, you are no leader and screw "redemption". I want those assholes who betrayed us politically castrated and kicked out of office.

This is what happens when a political party is disorganized and dysfunctional (the NY State Democrats). What should have been a soft lob to victory has become a humiliating and degrading defeat. You can thank Mr. Duane for that. Any politico who can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ought to have his ass kicked clean into next week.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 3, 2009 2:32:25 PM