Utah Lawmaker Chaffetz Vows to Block D.C. Marriage Equality

Sticking to a promise he made in May, Mormon congressman Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) promised to do everything he could to block the D.C. Marriage Equality bill from becoming law. Congress has 30 days to take action against it.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports: Chaffetz

"Chaffetz acknowledged it will be tough to overturn the newly adopted ordinance, which the Washington mayor is expected to sign before Christmas. 'It's going to be exceptionally difficult because Democrats have us outnumbered by large amounts,' Chaffetz said Tuesday. 'Nevertheless, we're going to try.'

Chaffetz sits on a House subcommittee that oversees the district. Congress can revoke D.C. laws within 30 days after they are signed by the mayor.

Chaffetz promises to introduce legislation in January. 'If it were put up for a vote, traditional marriage would win,' he said. 'It would win with a congressional vote, and it would win with the residents of Washington, D.C.'"

Said Chaffetz last May: "Some things are worth fighting for, and this is one of them. It's not something I can let go softly into the night. . . . I
recognize the Democrats are in the majority, but I represent the
majority of Americans on this issue."

Comments

1. seeldee says

“Some things are worth fighting for, and this is one of them,” says Chaffetz? Seriously? Like us fighting for our civil rights is just a whim or something? Sheesh.

These religious people make comments like that and show their hand. We are not even worthy of being second-class citizens to them. And they mock us so openly in the way they speak about us as if we aren’t even a part of the debate. What an asshole.

2. Tim says

So much for representative democracy. One or senators can deny health care for all. Eight state senators in New York can deny human rights by blocking marriage equality. Now, one congressman wants to do what he can to stop an overwhelming sense of an elected city council to extend marriage equality to the residents within its borders. I’m not so sure Jesus will welcome Chaffetz or NY’s Diaz with open arms when their time comes.

3. FizziekruntNT says

Fucking puppet mouthpiece. I wonder what Chaffetz’ record is on caring for the sick and the poor. Can anyone enlighten me on what the Mormon stance is on the “golden rule”? Is Mormonism even considered a sect of Christianity or is it just another cult?

“Worth fighting for…but I represent the majority of Americans on this issue.”

Someone should sell tickets for this gaping asshole’s daily performance. That’s real talent!

4. patrick nyc says

I would like to know why no Democrat has the balls to try and remove the Mormon Church’s tax exempt status over the blatant use of ‘church’ funds to fight gay marriage across the country. Involvement in politics is grounds to lose that status.

5. Tom B says

I doubt he’ll succeed, but who knows? What the Democrats must do in the next year or two is grant the District statehood or something akin to that. With a congressional representative and two senators, the Congress will be powerless to trample its laws. And maybe the District will finally remove Reagan’s name from their state airport.

6. Observer1000 says

Like this is unexpected. Let them be stupid enough to shout their bigotry and ignorance from every mountain top from sea to shining sea. Let them slander their own religions as loudly as they want. Let them use every legal avenue available to uphold their hate. All it does is quicken the move to gay equality.

7. Michael W. says

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. -Thomas Jefferson (this is why he fought for the inclusion of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution.)

8. Christopher says

@FIZZIEKRUNTNT

Mormons are not Christians; they are as much of a cult as Scientology, and would have vanished long ago or receded into relative obscurity like other 19th century cults, e.g. Spiritualism, the Oneidas, Christian Scientists, Seventh Day Adventists, etc. HAD THE LDS CHURCH NOT HIJACKED THE STATE OF UTAH. The church all but owns the entire state and uses its vast resources as a launchpad for its international proselytizing campaigns. Given that all LDS members are expected to tithe 10% of their pre-tax income to the church, as well as cough up one or more of their (admittedly) gorgeous sons as missionaries, the growth of this cult is likely to be self-perpetuating and successful for a long, long time–despite its laughable beliefs.

Don’t get me wrong—Christianity in most of its accepted forms is much more of an enemy to the LGBT movement than the Mormons, particularly the Catholic church. That said, since the Morons—er Mormons–have stepped up to the plate I think it’s fair to call them on their incredible hypocrisy (they’re fucking poplygamists!) by letting the rest of US Christians know about their bizarre heretical beliefs. The only reason the LDS church management has engaged in this crusade against us is to win acceptance as legitimate Christians and capture the White House with Romney of one of his (again, admittedly GEEEorgeous) sons. Rather than seek the extremely unlikely prospect of revoking the church’s tax-exempt status, the LGBT would do better to follow the lead of Deven Green (aka Betty Bowers) in mocking their beliefs and making them known to the general public. So, forward this to EVERYONE you know:

9. corkystclair says

Thanks, Michael W., for understanding the principles of how our type of government works. I feel like so many people really don’t understand. They support majority rule in the form of a referendum when a cause repugnant to them is at issue.

But of course, if something near to their hearts were voted on in a referendum, I imagine they would turn to the principle that our government is designed in many ways to protect the interests of minorities and their rights.

I wonder what Rep Chaffetz would say if there were a referendum about Mormonism being crazy …

10. Dan says

off topic, but the naming rights for national airport are technically left to the residents of Arlington County, Virginia NOT the entire state. Arlington is very blue, and actually tried to block renaming DCA to Reagan the first time around. They only relented when the (then republican controlled) Congress threatened to withhold all transportation funding for the county unless the name change went through. New Congress probably = reverting to the old name w/o any fuss.

That being said, I don’t think anybody cares anymore.

11. Scott says

I just got off the phone with Chaffetz’s receptionist. I’ve got a big pot hole on the street in front of my house off U Street in DC. I asked for the Representative to look into it. Since he’s so interested in what happens here, I’ll be calling his office on a regular basis to make sure that all of DC’s ills get addressed.

12. Charlie says

You shouldn’t pay much attention to him, he is insignificant on this issue. He comes from a rural district in Utah, the state with the lowest support for LGBT rights (with the possible exception of Mississippi). He probably gets a substantial donation from NOM and is expected to make this kind of announcement in return.

13. Dave says

I grew up as a Mormon in Utah (in this creep’s district) and I got the heck out of there just as soon as I could. I am sorry that they can’t stay in their own little “happy valley” and have to take their theocracy on the road. I guess Chaffetz is on some committee that oversees DC’s laws.

It’s odd that a religion/cult with its own unorthodox marriage practices would go about shooting down others’ nontraditional nuptials. This is the height of hypocrisy.

Call his offices to express your outrage:
    DC Phone: (202) 225-7751
    Provo Phone: (801) 851-2500

14. Larry says

Is this really the biggest problem in our society right now that so many people need to expend so much effort to fight it? Isn’t the economy in the toilet? Aren’t people without health care? Isn’t our education system lacking? Aren’t children still being abused and neglected in huge numbers?

I’ll honestly never understand why voters don’t hold their elected officials to actually solving the problems that plague us instead of focusing on the less significant issues. I know I’d do everything I can to bounce my congressman or senators out of office if they took up banning gay marriage instead of something that actually AFFECTS us.

15. John says

Mr. Chaffetz has a rather exaggerated sense of his own importance. Or perhaps he believes himself to be a Senator rather than a Representative.

Backbenchers don’t have any powers in the House.

Pelosi will decide whether they get to vote on it or not.

16. nic says

what chaps my hide the most is this asshole was a democrat and worked on his step-father’s (michael dukakis) presidential campaign back in ’88. then he became a cultist and a repug (same diff, no?). what does the d.c. marriage equality have to do whit his butthole of a district in utah?

17. Rob says

I’ve always said the progressive movement needs to get on the pro-Statehood issue for DC. One, if they were a state, this douchebag wouldn’t be able to intervene. Two, DC most likely would elect 2 very progressive, pro-Equality senators to the US Senate. Something we very much need right now.

18. don says

Congressman Chaffetz, open the blinds in your office (and your narrow mind) and behold Washington, DC, where different people live together and get along by respecting one another. It’s not utopia but it’s a lot closer than that exclusionary theocracy that you come from. Your people fled when they were persecuted. Maybe you think that entitles you to persecute now in return. I say go there. You won’t have to impose your view on anyone because everyone will already agree with you.