Gay Rights | Missouri | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Missouri Trooper's Death Leaves 14-Year Partner in the Cold

The rights denied to same-sex couples are making news in Missouri following the Christmas Day death of Missouri Highway Patrol trooper Dennis Engelhard that left his partner of 14 years with no death benefits, Fox2 St. Louis reports:

Missouri "Kelly Glossip says he and Engelhard were together for nearly 15 years. Yet, he says he's being ignored when it comes to the agencies who normally reach out to the families of fallen law enforcement officers. 'He was my true love and he always referred to me as his one and only true love and the man of his dreams,' Glossip said. ... Engelhard was killed on Christmas day while waiting with the driver of a disabled car for a tow truck. He got out of his vehicle and was hit by a passing SUV. It happened on Interstate 44 in Eureka. Glossip now feels he's been left out in the cold when it comes to financial benefits normally paid to the families of officers killed in the line of duty. He says he has not been contacted by any of the groups that normally offer those benefits...the Missouri Highway Patrol tells us some of Engelhard's benefits will be paid out according to beneficiaries he listed. But a spokesperson says Glossip is not eligible for any benefits through Engelhard's retirement pension because the two aren't legally married in Missouri. Glossip has a 17 year old son from a previous relationship who he says considered Dennis his step-father. Glossip is now worried about losing the home he and Engelhard lived in together and his car. He does say Engelhard's family is helping him pay bills."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well, there is a 55% chance that he was in an open relationship. So maybe he can get some comfort and support from the other guys in his relationship.

Posted by: Open and Superior | Jan 29, 2010 10:50:46 AM

2. Fuck I am sick of all the snarky trolls on this site. Have some heart.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 29, 2010 10:57:39 AM

3. God, what a dick comment, Open and Superior.

Posted by: gerry | Jan 29, 2010 11:15:20 AM

4. This would be why I am glad to volunteer for the "Wills for Heroes" program. When I reviewed the paperwork we had to go over with the Troopers and their spouses, I was thrilled to see a section on dealing with same-sex partners asking for wills, living wills, and powers of attorney for both medical and financial issues.

I wonder if the Missouri State Police supplied such a service to the Troopers. This situation sucks. I feel horrible for Mr. Glossip. This is why we need marriage equality.

Posted by: DR | Jan 29, 2010 11:32:48 AM

5. @ troll: lots of legally het married couples cheat, but then they lie about it. Charming.

Posted by: David R. | Jan 29, 2010 11:52:42 AM

6. It's disgusting that this widow is being mistreated by his late husband's employer. But there are two good things to see here: his out-laws are treating him like family and the local news covered the story sympathetically.

Posted by: David R. | Jan 29, 2010 11:54:21 AM

7. Open and Superior. Open obviously means open minded, judging from your enlightened commentary. Superior? Compared to what? A dung beetle? A shit weasel? A privy rat?

Posted by: MikeMick | Jan 29, 2010 11:54:22 AM

8. Situations like this are so tragic. It's bad enough to lose your life partner, but to have to worry about losing your home on top of it is just unbelievable. That said, duh, it's Missouri. To "open and superior", you homophobic, slow witted trolls will take ANY opportunity to insult and degrad a gay person. I wish you had the guts to sign your name to your insults. Coward.

Posted by: Boone68 | Jan 29, 2010 11:58:19 AM

9. I live in Missouri. When it comes to anything "gay", we are considered the bottom of the barrel in this state. I really feel for Glossip. It's hard enough losing a partner and then to have to go through the, "Oh, but you're nothing. You were not legally married in this state" B.S. We need marriage equality now. I'm getting extremely tired of waiting for it.

Posted by: NancyBoyDrew | Jan 29, 2010 12:06:36 PM

10. Mr. Glossip, I'm so sorry for your loss. The injustice you suffer also pains me. I want you to know that I will fight for equal rights and continue to fight for them until we have them, always keeping in mind the men and women who suffer because we do not yet have them.

Posted by: Scott | Jan 29, 2010 12:59:18 PM

11. I am single but if I weren't I could marry in Canada and this wouldn't happen here. For those of you who can't marry, life insure your mortgage against the life of the single wage earner if there is a single wage earner or against the lives of both wage earners otherwise. You can also insure your mortgage against serious illness or permanent disability. If the no one else will recognize your relationship, you will have to. My sympathies for Mr Glossip for whom this advice comes too late.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 29, 2010 1:39:34 PM

12. The Officer Down Memorial Page considers his partner a non-entity:

Posted by: Rick | Jan 29, 2010 1:53:56 PM

13. Open and Superior,

Clearly your comment is based on YOUR life's prospective. You sound bitter with more baggage than you can carry!

Don't project your miserable, mistake filled life with the life of anyone else. Your comment was completely inappropriate here.

Posted by: Marty | Jan 29, 2010 2:21:18 PM

14. What a flaming asshole the first poster is!! You heartless fuckwad!

Only nationally recognized gay marriage is going to stop this kind of bullshit. With the current Supreme Court, that's not going to happen for a while.

Posted by: John | Jan 29, 2010 4:09:51 PM

15. Open, as in Open for business 24/7, I'm sure. Superior, only in your own little fucked up head!

Go curl up in a corner, and die slowly. And painfully.

Oh, and please keep quiet while doing so...

Posted by: TheNiebur | Jan 30, 2010 7:04:23 AM

16. That's awful! His employer and the whole of Missouri, whom his partner served, should be ashamed of this un-American injustice.

Posted by: X | Jan 30, 2010 12:01:40 PM

17. It is too bad. There is no stopping the advance to legitimization of homosexuality. The West is doomed.

Posted by: yar | Mar 2, 2010 10:37:32 PM

18. @yar
    if you any indication of western civilization maybe it should be doomed. you seem to be such
    an enlightened thinker.

and to superior you should have been the one hit by the suv

Posted by: walter | Dec 2, 2010 4:23:24 PM