Barack Obama | Glee | Jane Lynch | News

BigGayDeal.com

Glee's Jane Lynch: Obama 'a Huge Disappointment' on Gay Rights

Lynch

Sue Sylvester calls it like she sees it, and so does Jane Lynch in a new interview with the UK Guardian.

Says Lynch of this year's gay rights battles: "Shouldn't there be safeguards against the majority voting on the rights of a minority? If people voted on civil rights in the 60s, it would have never happened. It took somebody like [President] Lyndon Johnson going, 'F all of you! I'm going to do this.' Obama won't do it. He's a huge disappointment to me."

Lynch also talks about growing up:

"I didn't know what 'gay' was in high school. We used the word 'queer' when someone was weird – when I finally heard what it really meant, my heart sank, and I thought, 'Oh God, that's me.'"

And gay actors being out in Hollywood:

"I think if I were an ingénue – if I were Kate Winslet – it probably would hurt my career, but because I'm Jane Lynch and I'm a character actor, the world isn't projecting their romantic fantasies on me."

Love her.

Comments

1. "because I'm Jane Lynch and I'm a character actor, the world isn't projecting their romantic fantasies on me."

Well despite the fact that you're a homosexual woman and I'm a homosexual man Jane, I am projecting romantic fantasies on you because you have the chutzpah to speak your mind.

Testify girl!

Posted by: Marc C | Jan 9, 2010 5:53:58 PM

2. Love you Jane.

Posted by: KB | Jan 9, 2010 6:15:04 PM

3. Jane I may have sex with women, but woman I love you.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 9, 2010 6:26:13 PM

4. Brave Jane - not just a song title by Vaya con Dios!! Her comments are, just like her character Sue, pointed and made with no holds barred. She just said what you're all thinking, huh?

Posted by: Sean R | Jan 9, 2010 6:34:50 PM

5. And to anyone who puts slams down their Kool Aid long enough to flame her for daring criticize their hero, there's a line from "GLEE" that applies to you:

"[You] think the square root of 4 is rainbows!"

Posted by: Michael | Jan 9, 2010 6:39:05 PM

6. Was thrilled to see her in Julie & Julia; for a character actor she's got a great range. Run for Congress Lady Jane!

Posted by: Ted | Jan 9, 2010 6:40:45 PM

7. Michael, the only one drinking Kool Aid is you with your insane ramblings.

Posted by: Peter | Jan 9, 2010 6:51:44 PM

8. She's the best. And she's only speaking the truth.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 9, 2010 7:05:27 PM

9. This woman is simply amazing. If only more people in Hollywood would call Obama and the Democrats what they are: epic fails

Posted by: Kyle | Jan 9, 2010 7:13:08 PM

10. She is a strong woman and she's right. Bravo Jane. Obama is a let down. But what about Gay Citizens? Are they upset enough to get involved and call their elected officials and voice their disappointment? Most don't, but for those that do, keep up the pressure.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 9, 2010 7:22:53 PM

11. Not only gay rights, Jane.

Posted by: NYSmike | Jan 9, 2010 7:41:12 PM

12. I could totally see her in congress! Kickin' ass!

Posted by: KFLO | Jan 9, 2010 7:50:56 PM

13. From another gay man to Jane Lynch:
    I wish more men had your balls!

Posted by: SteveDenver | Jan 9, 2010 8:07:17 PM

14. Of course she's right regarding not voting on civil rights, but it would be interesting to see what Obama would do if he had 68 senators as Johnson did. (And Johnson couldn't run for a second term. It's all about power for either party.) I think we have to realize our only hope is the courts, because voting is going to (usually) be a let-down, at least for the next several years.

Also, it's not like the Democrats are epic fails. Not all the Democrats. Our (or at least my) mistake was in thinking all Democrats are alike, but the moderates and conservatives are no help at all. It's sad to think of the writing on the wall, that progressives are pissed, will be discouraged, will give up, and the enthusiasm void will be filled by teabaggers and other nutjob Republicans.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 9, 2010 8:54:21 PM

15. She's an idiot, just like most of the people who post on this blog. I don't agree with her, and she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. A second rate actress is the last person I look to for political insight.

Posted by: OnyxEsq | Jan 9, 2010 8:56:39 PM

16. I love you Jane Lynch! You rule!

PS ONYESQ you need to calm down dear! Take a breath! That's right if you try real hard you may just have a bowel movement yet!

Posted by: robert | Jan 9, 2010 9:17:32 PM

17. @ matthew-agree with most of what you said, but there was no reason Johnson couldn't have run in '68, he just chose not to. i remember sitting in front of the TV when he made that announcement.

i agree with Ms Lynch as well. well said. i don't see any alternative though. the Republicans sure as hell aren't going to do anything for us.

Posted by: casey | Jan 9, 2010 9:38:22 PM

18. The difference wasn't that LBJ had more Democratic Senators because many of them were racist Southerners. In fact, one of the reasons the 64 Civil Rights Act passed was the leadership of a Republican: Sen. Everett Dirksen.

THAT's the difference between then and now: leadership aka BALLS which LBJ and Dirksen had, just like Harry Truman, when he ordered the armed forces racially integrated despite opposition from every white corner, and the current Pres., despite the fact that the majority of the public supports both ENDA and dumping DADT.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 9, 2010 9:39:50 PM

19. Obama has done more for gay rights that the last 2 presidents combined. She needs to get outside of Hollywood and live in the real world. Ms. Lynch, you are a hugh disappointment to me!

Posted by: DEREK | Jan 9, 2010 11:57:47 PM

20. Sad but true i love jane lynch

if Hillary were Prez we'd be much further on now in our movement

Posted by: Jim32 | Jan 10, 2010 12:36:02 AM

21. Although I am disappointed by thus administration's lack of concern for gay rights...I am also aware that President Obama doe snot have the absolute majority enjoyed by President Wilson. On the Democratic side of the Senate we have a bunch of Judas' like Ben Nelson and Joe Lieberman...Republicans wearing Frmocratic skins...betrayers of their constituency, ideology and party...traitors to the cause of equality...an orphan and a Jew who have forgotten that they were discriminated against and now discriminate against others...zero conscience!!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Jan 10, 2010 1:08:28 AM

22. Oh, Derek, puhleeeze!

Could you be thinking of the lifting of the HIV travel ban? That was signed by BUSH and simply finally implemented by Obama.

Nothing Obama's done equals Clinton's executive order lifting the ban on gay federal employees that had existed since Eisenhower. And another Clinton executive order added a hate crimes enhancement to military law. He appointed the first out gay federal judge, the first out gay US Ambassador and Consul General. First gay meeting with a President in the White House. Ditto: Clinton. First President to speak at an HRC dinner. Ditto again: Clinton. And many of the gays Obama's hired were previously hired by Clinton. And THIS First Lady has yet to do what First Lady Hillary did: march in a Gay Pride Parade!

Obama does have THIS distinction: he has smile fucked gays more than ALL Presidents combined and blown so much smoke up our asses that the EPA should declare him a part of Global Warming.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 10, 2010 1:32:31 AM

23. Obama has gone out of his way to throw gays under the bus. He lied to us when he told us he'd be a "fierce advocate." Instead, we get an administration that files hateful briefs, calling us pedophiles and perverts. We get an administration unwilling to expend any political capital on our behalf.

Matthew.... progressives have every right to be angry. Obama has abandoned US, not the other way round. Every step of the way (on issue after issue) he has tossed progressives under the bus.

Unless this administration makes some seismic shifts, I sure as hell won't be supporting it in 2012. Perhaps Democrats need to learn the hard way.

Posted by: pacnwjay | Jan 10, 2010 1:37:21 AM

24. @pacnwjay: but what is the alternative? you can't possibly feel that ANY republican by 2012 would do more for us. They're already starting to purge their ranks of even the 'plain' conservatives. The republicans by 2012 will be teabaggers and those even further to the right. i'm not happy at all with the current Dems, but i'd rather have a party do NOTHING for us than one that actively seeks to take away our rights en masse. at least that's how i see it.

and Derek: please list 'everything' that Obama has done for us...

Posted by: casey | Jan 10, 2010 3:03:58 AM

25. FUCK THIS BITCH AND ALL YOU OBAMA HATERS.

Don't worry I really hope he doesn't run or lose in 2012 to one of those
    WHITE REPUBLICANS.....

And the little bit he has done that isn't being acknowledged by you angry queens. I hope the republicans OVERTURN it all!

I really do! You only accept white homophobia so then when they get in office and do it. Lets see her ass return with that statement.

And of course Miss Michael meathead Matlovich Bedwell or whatever the fuck you call yourself.

The Clinton's are so fucking great. That proves my point totally about accepting WHITE homophobia they both presented it to you and you still LOVES the ground they walk on.

Bill: D.A.D.T, AND D.O.MA.
    HIllary: Does not belive in Gay Marriage

So your asses would not advanced any fucking where...GET OVER IT!

And back to Ms Glee cunt She's a dumb ass bastard and only speak the WORST of this community!

STUPID BITCH She'll never be a screen actress neither!

Posted by: Jelly Bean | Jan 10, 2010 4:18:47 AM