Gay Marriage | Harold Ford Jr. | New York | News

Watch: Harold Ford Jr. Says He is Now for Same-Sex Marriage

Fordjr

As I mentioned this morning, former Tennessee congressman Harold Ford Jr. has suddenly done an about-face on same-sex marriage as he jockeys for position in the NY Senate race.

Ford told Matt Lauer this morning, "I've been a supporter of civil unions since I was elected to Congress in 96. It's a fiction between the two. My support for fairness and equality long existed before I moved to NY."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In fact, Ford voted for the federal marriage amendment which would have constitutionally banned same-sex marriage ein the U.S.

Adds Ford: "I'm a believer that benefits should flow to same-sex partners and if indeed the fiction of the language, the title should be changed, much like Chuck Schumer who changed his mind on it, and Bill Clinton has evolved. I'm of the opinion now that nothing is wrong with that. [I'm in favor of] Civil unions and same-sex marriage, yeah.

Watch Ford's statement, plus the 2006 U.S. Senate campaign ad in which he attacks his opponent, saying "Said I'm for gay marriage when I voted against it.", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I still think he's awfully good looking.

Posted by: Griff | Jan 11, 2010 12:21:15 PM

2. No progressive, gay or not, should support Ford. He's awful.

Posted by: kugel | Jan 11, 2010 12:23:13 PM

3. Do they think we are stupid?

Do they think we forget things?

Do they think society is not changing?

Fortunately and inevitably, society will allow gay marriage someday in the future. Soon or later

Posted by: santi | Jan 11, 2010 12:28:49 PM

4. What a lying, carpetbagging bastard. This man needs to be completely ignored.

Posted by: Q | Jan 11, 2010 12:29:13 PM

5. Just another slimy, two-faced, opportunistic politician. But you have to smile when one of these guys realizes he can only win if he is FOR same-sex marriage. We've come a long way.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jan 11, 2010 12:30:52 PM

6. Don't trust Harold Ford. He twice voted to write us out of the U.S. Constitution and, whatever he says today, he'd vote that way again in the future if he saw political and other benefits in doing so.

He's lower than a lizard, and just as cold-hearted. Don't trust anything he says.

Posted by: K in VA | Jan 11, 2010 12:32:31 PM

7. So let me see if i understand him correctly, while he represented a Southern State - TN - presumably Red Neck Conservative - there he was Anti Gay Marriage, anti-gay Civil Union, and Pro-DOMA! Now that he is desirous of running against an entrenched Liberal in "Liberal Gay NYS" he has had a change of heart and sees the "benefit" of supporting all those things he was against for so long when a congressman from TN!!! Well Harold let me put this in a way you may understand - GO F--K Yourself with the handle on that Carpetbag you carried north!!

Posted by: AlexInBoston | Jan 11, 2010 12:34:37 PM

8. Bury this piece of garbage! He cannot be ignored and I hope people take action to see to it he remains unseated.

I remember seeing him on Bill Mahr once and couldn't help but think, "What a vile, intrepid opportunist!" I hope I can find footage. If memory serves me correctly, he indeed made statements to the effect of his stance against "gay marriage". Just like Obama, his hypocrisy is obvious, but the lie is blatant.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jan 11, 2010 12:43:25 PM

9. No.

Hell no.

HELL no.

I'd vote for COLTON Ford over Harold Ford.

Posted by: Scott | Jan 11, 2010 12:47:34 PM

10. The dignity and significance of marriage is not a fiction! It is not merely semantics upon which GLBT persons strive for equality.

Posted by: Micah | Jan 11, 2010 12:50:48 PM

11. He has such a cock sucker and cum in my mouth face.

I would bet he has wet dreams with Obama

Posted by: santi | Jan 11, 2010 1:02:54 PM

12. Oh, you all are being to harsh on this man. Look at those beautiful eyes--how sincere they are. Those eyes couldn't lie. He's as adorable as a Velocirapter.

"I would bet he has wet dreams with Obama"

Well, that could get kind of messy, SANTI--two grown men shootin' out cream in their sleep.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 11, 2010 1:15:36 PM

13. He does seriously tip my gaydar as well, and if he wasn't such a bottom feeder he'd be amazingly hot. That being said, for all i care, this man can die in a gas fire. He's the lowest of the lows.

Posted by: Cory | Jan 11, 2010 1:19:00 PM

14. He is very hot in his horrible commercial agains the gay marriage.

If he was not so homophobic, I think I could fuck him perfectly

Posted by: santi | Jan 11, 2010 1:25:22 PM

15. What is so stupid is comparing this guy to Obama.

Obama was at first pro marriage but after running was against marriage but also against prop 8...

This SLIME ball...

Ew.

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 11, 2010 1:27:40 PM

16. Carpet bagging is never attractive. It shows a tendency to shove one's morals under a bus at the slightest hint of self profit.

What is up with New York State? Truly bizarre politics. I know plenty of New York activists who would make better politicians. Maybe it's time for you NY LGBT activists to start running for office?

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Jan 11, 2010 1:35:22 PM

17. I only rooted for this man when he was running in Tennessee because the GOP candidate was even worse. I won't root for this conservative, Ford, when he's running in a good and healthy liberal state against a liberal candidate.

Posted by: KFLO | Jan 11, 2010 1:42:40 PM

18. I would vote for TILA TEQUILA over this LOSER ...or LINDSAY LOHAN and PARIS HILTON TOGETHER before I vote for him. HELL NO!!!

Posted by: Justin | Jan 11, 2010 1:43:09 PM

19. Turncoat pig.

I would like to ask him what magical revelation led him to this complete 180, besides, you know...moving from Tennessee to New York. Sadly, people still fall for this shit, and would be totally surprised when he continued to vote against shit the second it becomes politically inconvenient.

All politicians are whores, even the good ones. They all have a price. Trust.

Posted by: Ugh | Jan 11, 2010 1:43:23 PM

20. For those who keep on attacking Obama for his lack of sincerity, just remember that we could have ended up with this swindler instead. Here's a man - Harold Ford Jr. - who would lie to his own mother for an extra vote.

And if Southern politicians want the rest of us to stop stereotyping them as glorified used car salesmen, they need to stop having Jesus come to them in a dream and telling them to "do right" long after they had lost any political relevance. That goes for Carter, Clinton, and Gore just as much as Ford.

Posted by: John | Jan 11, 2010 2:06:27 PM

21. @santi

Yes they do think we are stupid. Politicians know that the attention span of any constituent is minuscule. For example, look at your local government (Mayor/city council) - they send out fliers when they run for election. We read them, decide, then throw them out. Four years later, they run for re-election, and they could use the same fliers with a date change, because we wouldn't know (save political fliers and you will see what I mean). Most politicians make promises to woo constituents and groups they don't nor won't keep because they know the general public won't remember. This is why in the federal, state and local governments, we keep re-electing the same people over and over and over again.

Posted by: CB | Jan 11, 2010 2:07:45 PM

22. I believe Harry Reid would think he has a good chance because he is light-skinned enough and can control his "Negro" accent. Bless his heart.

However, I like it when politicians embrace the inevitable. It speeds up the whole process.

He may succeed. He seems determined, and if he's elected, he may vote our way.

Posted by: innocent bystander | Jan 11, 2010 2:09:58 PM

23. @CB

This is sadn, you know? this is very sad.

Because I am in Spain right now ( I am from here), and my bf is living in USA ( he is American).

UNfortunately and due to his job, he can't come to live here with me. And, unfourtunately too, we can't stay together in the US unless I get a job via ( unlikely thing right now).

My bf feels completely like a second class citizen! He has the same obligations but not the same rights than straight people!

Thant's not fair

Posted by: santi | Jan 11, 2010 2:14:24 PM

24. The irony is that he faced an extremely racist campaign for Senate which cost him a lot of votes--the ads against him were incredibly nasty of the black men want to rape white women variety. Apparently it chased him out of the South entirely.

Posted by: anon | Jan 11, 2010 2:20:33 PM

25. What is wrong with your people?? We should be happy that this man now says he supports marriage equality. If we are going villainize people who switch form being anti-equality to pro-equality then we are never going to get a majority of supporters in this country.

Who knows what this man sincerely believes in his heart of hearts. My guess is he doesn't really care one way or the other, which is fine by me. It's far more important that he outwardly support equality. And it is important for us to demonstrate that being pro-equality helps politicians get elected. I'm still going to support Gillibrand but I am happy that this influential, African-American leader has spoken out in favor of equality. The fact that he voted for the unfair marriage amendment a couple of years ago only shows how far we have come.

Posted by: anon | Jan 11, 2010 2:55:00 PM