Ewan McGregor | Film | Jim Carrey | News

Watch: Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor's Gay Prison Love Story

Phillipmorris

A new one-sheet and trailer for the Jim Carrey - Ewan McGregor prison romance adaptation I Love You Phillip Morris, which is on its way, finally, this Spring.

Watch the new trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. hmmmm...not so sure I like this characterization of gays, but, oh well.

Posted by: rich | Jan 14, 2010 6:18:56 PM

2. friend saw a dvd or it in Palm Springs - said it was horrid -

Posted by: fred | Jan 14, 2010 6:23:06 PM

3. OF IT - tend to think he is right as it has taken forever for them to release it.

Posted by: fred | Jan 14, 2010 6:24:57 PM

4. Let's see what is the Racial equivalent? Black-Face. Got it. Okay so we have two str8 men painting on Gay-face and picking up a Banjo/Loft/sports car and singin Mammy or something Gay-ish! See, there is no discrimination against Gay Americans. This is parody. Just like Black-face is.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 14, 2010 6:49:30 PM

5. I saw a screener last year and it is charming, and, yes, extremely moving... Believe it from one who has actually seen it!

Posted by: Feral | Jan 14, 2010 6:50:27 PM

6. I'll pass.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jan 14, 2010 6:51:55 PM

7. I think it looks like it could be good.

Posted by: Wes | Jan 14, 2010 7:08:02 PM

8. Ewan McGregor looks totally adorable.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 14, 2010 7:51:09 PM

9. Oh good, I was hoping for another movie where gay people are all prissy queens, criminals and... FUNNY!!!

Fuck you, Ewan McGregor. I'm done defending your shitty acting.

Posted by: Jasun mark | Jan 14, 2010 8:01:30 PM

10. May it not make back a dime.

Posted by: protogenes | Jan 14, 2010 8:10:58 PM

11. I'm with David E. Ewan looks really good. I wouldn't kick him out of my bed.

Posted by: Rodney | Jan 14, 2010 8:20:26 PM

12. I've been put off by Jim Carrey ever since he started killing children.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 14, 2010 8:30:27 PM

13. I'm thankful to Netflix for getting me away from Hollywood schlock like this. It looks like any of the dozens of crap films I've seen on a plane.

Posted by: Mort | Jan 14, 2010 8:31:09 PM

14. I saw this film. It's my job to see all available films at festivals and markets. It's horrible. And it is EXACTLY like black-face - Sargon you are right.

Posted by: distributor | Jan 14, 2010 8:35:07 PM

15. Honestly, how did this movie get made? Who thought it would be a good idea? I can't imagine what sort of audience they possibly envisioned watching it.

Posted by: barto | Jan 14, 2010 9:24:33 PM

16. I saw this early last summer and, like Feral, thought it was terrific. My one qualm is that Jim Carrey occasionally lapses into far too broad of a characterization (you never forget he's Jim Carrey, whereas Ewan McGregor disappears into his part). Most of the people at the screening I saw were comparing it to Catch Me If You Can, but it reminded me a lot more of Raising Arizona in its silly and sweet tone.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Jan 14, 2010 10:53:04 PM

17. Do we really need this characterization when we are fighting for marriage equality? Seems Hollywood has a homophobic streak, still..

Posted by: ty | Jan 14, 2010 10:58:00 PM

18. Ewan McGregor looks adorable as a redhead. Despite whether this movie is terrible or not, it's nice that the main plot/focus of the movie isn't about them being gay... it's about the guy and his con-man ways and it affecting their relationship.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 15, 2010 1:19:55 AM

19. I saw a preview screening the other night. It's like 'Catch Me If You Can' without any of the charm. As for the portrayal of gay men... it's over-the-top and stereotyped, but not offensive per se - I just expected more nuance from both actors.

Overall, just a dull film.

Posted by: Chad | Jan 15, 2010 4:29:24 AM

20. I saw the film at the Palm Springs International Film Festival. Loved it! So did the other 600 people in attendance judging by the applause and the evaluation at the end of the screening.

Posted by: Paul Taylor | Jan 15, 2010 5:30:20 PM

21. The story of Phillip Morris was covered in a recent newspaper article here in the UK - sounds like an amazing life and the film could be worth seeing.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 18, 2010 2:39:47 AM