Advertising | News

Watch: Mancrunch Gay Dating Ad Considered for Super Bowl

Mancrunch2

Here's the ad for the gay dating site Mancrunch that's under consideration for the Super Bowl. Either way, it's a win-win for them. Yesterday nobody knew who they were.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP....

Comments

1. Terrible.

Posted by: Marco | Jan 28, 2010 3:01:11 PM

2. Ok, this isn't even really a commercial, it's just a bad web-spot. This was clearly done as a an attempt at a free media grab by submitting it and fully expecting it to be rejected, knowing gay blogs and news outlets would report out about it.

Posted by: JM | Jan 28, 2010 3:01:49 PM

3. Lame rip off of MadTV skit.

Posted by: Q | Jan 28, 2010 3:03:58 PM

4. honestly i hope cbs doesn't run this ad . it would be two steps back. there has to be a better ad to support our issues

Posted by: walter | Jan 28, 2010 3:04:00 PM

5. Maybe it's me, but I just don't get it: Why did a black guy suddenly appear? First there were two guys, and then there were three.

Posted by: gato pardo | Jan 28, 2010 3:09:56 PM

6. I don't get it. Do the chips make them gay?

Posted by: crispy | Jan 28, 2010 3:11:32 PM

7. Pretty bad. But I got a chuckle anyway.

Posted by: Taylor Siluwe | Jan 28, 2010 3:18:12 PM

8. It is a very terrible spot. Really bad taste.
    It looks like a spot made by str8 people.
    Its almost offensive.

Posted by: Raul Vives | Jan 28, 2010 3:18:37 PM

9. Including the cost of the potato chips, this must have cost $13 to produce. And they're gonna pay a couple mil to air this? No fuckin way.

But brilliant publicity!

Posted by: kansastock | Jan 28, 2010 3:20:04 PM

10. Gato, the idea is that the Black guy was sitting there all the time out of camera range. Supposedly they are so caught up in the heat of "passion" that they forget that he's there. So of course, it reinforces the notions of Black homophobia, gay promiscuity and that there is something wrong with two men kissing. Total garbage.

Posted by: Q | Jan 28, 2010 3:21:20 PM

11. Oh please... Superbowl ad spots cost millions of dollars... this ad probably cost $10 and a bowl of chips... it's an obvious ploy for press

Posted by: Richie | Jan 28, 2010 3:22:14 PM

12. Well, they must have really needed to save money on every aspect of that in order to afford the airtime.

Posted by: Distingue Traces | Jan 28, 2010 3:25:01 PM

13. Was that extremely uncomfortable black guy eating a piece of chicken, too? I'm so offended!

Honestly, this is awful trash.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 28, 2010 3:26:54 PM

14. I don't get the name Mancrunch. I don't want to crunch men.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 28, 2010 3:33:47 PM

15. I gotta agree with those who are claiming "PR ploy". There is no way that ad would be seriously considered for airing; poorly done and unprofessional and looks like it was thrown together in a few short moments. It's a way to get traffic to their site and the vid will probably go viral in a couple of days.

Posted by: DR | Jan 28, 2010 3:35:50 PM

16. Mildly droll, but definitely a rip-off of the "Mad TV" sketch. And why that tagline? Wouldn't something like "He may be closer than you think" be better for selling this?

Posted by: Dback | Jan 28, 2010 3:37:12 PM

17. Maggie Gallagher was probably involved with making this shitty "ad."

Posted by: homer | Jan 28, 2010 3:38:25 PM

18. LAME, LAME, LAME!!! I agree with the remarks made above, it looks like it cost a few bucks to produce, very amateurish. I hope CBS calls their bluff and says they'll run it. I bet anything they don't have a million sitting around to pay for it.

On the other hand, this is great marketing on their part. You can't buy this kind of publicity and they did it for less than $20. The cool thing is, this non-controversy spilled over to FAUXE NEWS and now their homophobic right-wing, bible thumping, tea toting audience has a new place to take it on the down low.

Posted by: Keith | Jan 28, 2010 3:42:01 PM

19. It may be cheap-looking, but it's no dumber/more offensive than 75% of the other ads they're going to air. And who cares if the third guy is black? I didn't even notice.

Posted by: Feral | Jan 28, 2010 3:48:43 PM

20. Does mancrunch even exist?

I did a google search for their site and plenty of news hits came up but no link anywhere to their site. Notice in the last frame of the ad, there is their logo but no web address.

Given how bad the ad is, I really wonder if someone is punking CBS and the press.

Posted by: Ed | Jan 28, 2010 3:53:16 PM

21. I also didn't notice that the other guy was black...stop searching for things to get mad at. But yes, this is a stupid commercial. But I know most of you will go straight to their website and prove them right (that gays are all about random meaningless impulsive sex). Or you could choose not too.

Posted by: Dave | Jan 28, 2010 4:08:13 PM

22. Right, like a Packers fan would ever date a Vikings fan, pure fantasy.

/sarcasm

Yeah, it looks like one of those cable TV ads that only run on shopping networks, selling some contraption to make peeling carrots easier.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 28, 2010 4:11:41 PM

23. The site itself looks like it's trying to compete with Manhunt. On the front page are photos of guys kissing on a bed, a ripped shirtless guy and it talks about "coming out to play". Clearly this is not a serious dating site. So... they really expected an TV ad for a sex hookup site to be approved for the Super Bowl? Really?

What is the point of this site, anyway? What does "open up about the down low" mean? As an openly gay man, I don't care for the drama of dating a closeted guy, so I'm not the target audience. If I were a closeted guy, I'd be weary of the "open up" and "Where... men come out" part. Is the site going to out me? What the heck?!

Posted by: Rich | Jan 28, 2010 4:12:38 PM

24. "I didn't notice that the guy was black". Sounds like chris matthews found towleroad.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 28, 2010 4:17:31 PM

25. YESSS!! I commented in the article about this ad on Towleroad this morning mentioning that it would turn into the same ole makeout parody. I was right.

Like I said, would be much nicer to see gay couples enjoying the game together. OR, how about HRC or one of the nat'l gay coaltions putting together a nice piece on Indianapolis and New Orleans, the two teams in the SuperBowl: both with very active, open gay communities accepted by their cities??
    Naw, it's much more effective to see 2 guys overly making out with it each other. That and the shocked reaction of those around them create a little comic relief that makes it more palatable for the hetero crowd watching the game to get through the commercial.
    Once again, we're the parody. It's obvious by the quality this is not even close to being SuperBowl worthy. Thank God!!

Posted by: Rolph | Jan 28, 2010 4:19:42 PM