Alexander McQueen | Bill Donohue | Books | Brazil | David Mixner | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | John Mayer | Kenya | Michelangelo Signorile | News | Olympics | Ryan Kwanten | Ryan Reynolds | Stephen Colbert | Susan Sontag | Vietnam

BigGayDeal.com

News: Olympics, Ryan Reynolds, Vietnam, Alexander McQueen

road Georgian luger dies in training accident at Olympics.

road GLAAD asks John Mayer to apologize for using the F-word.

Olympics_colbert road Stephen Colbert got his own Olympics poster, designed by Shepard Fairey.

road Purported naked Snooki pic surfaces.

road Adam Lambert performing in secret NYC show this Monday...

road Mixner: Is 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' the new healthcare?

road Openly gay stock car announcer breaking stereotypes: "[Troy] Germain came out to the ACT in 2003. He conceded it remains tough to be the only openly gay man on the circuit-he said there are others about whom he knows, but they remain closeted. Germain said an e-mail Darla Hartt, vice president and general manager of the ACT, gave him the strength to come out to his colleagues. It read be yourself; be who you are and don’t be afraid; just be."

road Ryan Kwanten suits up.

road Witness: Terry Castle does hatchet job on Susan Sontag in new book.

road Alexander McQueen's final Tweets. Westboro Baptist Church to picket McQueen funeral.

Rr road Ryan Reynolds the new face of Hugo Boss fragrances.

road Kenneth in the 212 takes a look at Prodigal Sons, the new film about Kimberley Reed, the high school quarterback who transitioned into a woman.

road If you're using Google Buzz, be aware of the huge privacy flaw.

road Attitude magazine loses major distributor.

road Vietnamese gay groups to march in Tet Parade in Orange County for first time: "However, several Vietnamese religious organizations, including the Vietnamese Interfaith Council of America that comprises Christian and Buddhist religious leaders, have expressed their opposition to the gay groups' participation in the parade. On Wednesday, the Knights of Columbus and all 50 members of the Vietnamese Martyrs Council, both Catholic organizations, withdrew their participation from the parade."

Bookshop  road Gay's the Word: Uk gay bookstore facing closure.

road It's National Underwear Day in Brazil.

road STUDY: Race and gender of judges makes big difference in rulings.

road The Catholic League's Bill Donohue gives a shout-out to Michelangelo Signorile for "ripping" the Pope on the Joy Behar show: "None of what Signorile said is true." Actually, it is. More from Signorile.

road Church of England votes to give pension benefits to partners of gay clergy.

road NYT on the gay arrests in Kenya: "Mr. Kiraithe said the planned wedding between two men had been kept a secret, but that a group of local people found out just before it was to start in Kikambala, a beach town along Kenya’s white-sand coast. A mob quickly formed, and some outraged bystanders even shouted that the people at the wedding should be burned." Background.

Comments

1. Remember the thing about a tree falling in the woods and nobody hearing it. What if the Westboro Church held a protest and nobody reported on it. Who cares what they say or do. They're crazy. Let's all stop paying any attention to them. I would be happy to never see, hear or view anything connected to them ever again. If we don't care, and we don't give them any attention, they may just go away. Attention and outrage is what fuels them. Without it... Well, lets just see what happens to them.

Posted by: brian | Feb 12, 2010 3:56:54 PM

2. I would think that McQueen's funeral was being held in England.

I only say that because I thought that England barred the Phelps clan from there.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 12, 2010 4:35:18 PM

3. What story does the bookshop photo go with?

Posted by: Jersey | Feb 12, 2010 4:49:45 PM

4. I was wondering that, too, Jersey

Posted by: Myackie | Feb 12, 2010 5:22:18 PM

5. i wish some of the westboro clan would die so we could celebrate a funeral instead of protest one. it should be a gand affair complete with drag queens , dikes on bikes and leathermen in jockstraps the assholes a great send off into the afterlife just before they meet the devil

Posted by: walter | Feb 12, 2010 5:32:16 PM

6. I'm with ya Brian. People need to stop reporting about those fuckers.

And Chitownkev, I think you're correct about that.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Feb 12, 2010 5:36:09 PM

7. Love Ryan Reynolds, but that photo is awful. Looks like I took it.

Posted by: JeffRob | Feb 12, 2010 5:47:30 PM

8. I am delighted to hear Attitude lost a distributor. Hopefully the magazine goes out soon and all the gay employees get to work in the real world alongside haterosexuals they love so much. A "gay" magazine that puts haterosexuals on the covers month after month is not a gay magazine. Attitude magazine wants to perpetuate haterosexual prejudices onto gay people by implicitly telling gay people that haterosexuals are more valuable/ better than they are. So all the misfortune of Attitude and it's employees are welcome news to me.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 12, 2010 8:14:40 PM

9. As someone who knew Susan, albeit briefly before she died, I can tell you Terry Castle is a nobody who Susan barely knew. Clearly Castle feels it's time for her 15 minutes. What a bitter, bitch.

Posted by: His Royal Highness | Feb 12, 2010 9:50:05 PM

10. OK. I give up. Why the picture of the really hot guy in front of the bookstore?! I just spent 20 minutes going through every fucking link for nothing.

Posted by: MarkDC | Feb 12, 2010 10:32:00 PM

11. RE: bookstore. There was a famous puzzlemaker who puzzle enthusiasts were quite fond of a while back (before I was born, perhaps). One day, he came out with a puzzle that true fans were driven insane by due to its apparent complexity. Well, it turns out that this puzzle had no solution, but given the prevailing assumption that every puzzle has a solution, it just drove people bats. Now that's my kind humor.

I saw that video of the georgian luger who died, and it was horrifying and tragic. It's actually a pretty safe sport, so this was a freak accident.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 12, 2010 10:44:54 PM

12. I'm having trouble understanding why gay Kenyans are getting married.. I need a cultural lesson

Posted by: frank | Feb 12, 2010 11:23:48 PM

13. The link posted that cautions Google buzz users is misleading. Not only is it possible to turn off the buzz feature and follow/unfollow people, but it's also easy to turn off the automatic addition of contacts feature.

Posted by: JT | Feb 13, 2010 2:58:44 AM

14. The gay bookshop pictured is called 'Gays the word' and it is the most prominent and I think the only specifically gay and lesbian bookshop in London. No idea what story the picture is meant to link to though.

Posted by: Den | Feb 13, 2010 5:19:36 AM

15. Ryan Reynolds has come a long way since starring in that not-funny sitcom "Two Gays, A Girl and A Pizza Place." Good for him

Posted by: trevor | Feb 13, 2010 9:18:08 AM

16. The link to the bookstore story is showing up for me, but I'm viewing the site in Firefox. When I checked back in Internet Explorer, it didn't come up for some reason. Must be a glitch with the browser.

Here's the link:

Posted by: TryingtoHelp | Feb 13, 2010 5:19:01 PM

17. aw damn, Tank, no one took your bait! Too bad.

Posted by: jmg | Feb 13, 2010 7:29:44 PM

18. Trevor, Ryan Reynolds hasn't come far enough as far as I'm concerned. For example, he has yet to cum in my ass.

Posted by: AM | Feb 15, 2010 12:56:57 AM