Advertising | Football (American) | News | Sports | Tim Tebow

CBS to Air Second Focus on the Family Tebow Ad on Pre-Game Show

Anti-gay, anti-choice evangelical group Focus on the Family has produced a second ad with Tim Tebow and his mother that will air four times prior to the Super Bowl game during the pregame show, USA Today reports:

2_tebow "The new ad also features star quarterback Tim Tebow and his mother, Pam. It was filmed in Orlando last month at the same time as the group's controversial — though yet unseen — in-game ad...Interest groups including the National Organization for Women have asked CBS to drop the Tebow ad. Although Focus on the Family won't reveal its ads' details, CEO Jim Daly says the original ad was rejected by CBS. In it, Pam Tebow, who was advised by a doctor to have an abortion for medical reasons when pregnant with her son, said, 'Both of our lives were at risk.' "They felt that was too much," he says. 'So we dropped the line. We didn't fight them.' The word 'abortion' is never used. The ad is 'an open discussion on the sanctity of human life — not just the issue of abortion,' Daly says. It was made for less than $100,000 with 'a bit of humor in it — in fitting with the Super Bowl theme.'"

This morning I posted a Planned Parenthood ad produced in response to the Tebow spot.

Earlier this week it was revealed that CBS had a much bigger hand in the ad than previously thought, working with Focus on the Family for months to help craft the ad's message.

Watch Jimmy Kimmel's Tebow rebuttal ad, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well, I'd say I wouldn't watch CBS any longer, but I stopped watching that irrelevant network a long time ago.

Plus on Sunday, it's Puppy Bowl time, so much more entertaining. ;)

Posted by: Todd in NYC | Feb 5, 2010 1:26:02 PM

2. that was hysterical, thankfully I wont be watching the Superbowl, I will be watching The Puppy Bowl ...thanks for that yesterday by the way, that was really great!

Posted by: john | Feb 5, 2010 1:48:21 PM

3. Yeh, but the Puppy Bowl has its own problems. Apparently, some labrador bitch is appearing in a controversial anti-spaying ad.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 5, 2010 1:49:42 PM

4. It's time to bombard CBS with emails and ask companies like P&G, Levi, ect to stop buying airtime

Posted by: Wolf | Feb 5, 2010 1:53:51 PM

5. I think the interesting thing to note is that Tim Tebow and his mother's abortion situation is not the same as many newly pregnant women face. They were't poor per se nor likely to be irresponsible in raising a child. Their concern was a a bona fide medical issue of potential life and death. The ad, as I see it, is twisting facts to create an out of context plug for pro-life.

That being said, I believe in many cases, people should be responsible at the moment they decide to have intercourse to either use protection or decide to not proceed with vaginal intercourse. So, in effect, I guess that makes me a pro-life person. However, as a gay man, I recognize that if I have unprotected sex in a non-monogamous situation, I am putting my life at risk. THerefore I take my responsibility before it happens and put on a condomn instead of wating until after and trying the emergency medication situation.

Posted by: Paul | Feb 5, 2010 2:27:32 PM

6. Love Jimmy Kimmel.

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Feb 5, 2010 2:28:10 PM

7. Tim Tebow is a butt nugget.

Posted by: AM | Feb 5, 2010 2:32:20 PM

8. Ummm... didn't CBS tell the Mancrunch folks that they were all booked up and didn't have any more time to sell?????

Posted by: J. Scott Coatsworth | Feb 5, 2010 3:22:10 PM

9. So the Bigots are Pro Choice after all?

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Feb 5, 2010 3:34:44 PM

10. I wonder how many girls have terminated a pregnancy after a blurry evening with ol' stupor-stud here?

Posted by: Toto | Feb 5, 2010 3:59:36 PM

11. AY DIOS MIO QUE BONITO, YOU ARE GOD IN THE FLESH, YOU BEAUTIFUL STUD YOU, I FALL ON MY KNEES IN ADORATION OF YOUR MANLY BEAUTY, I PRAY FOR YOU OH BEAUTIFUL ONE, THANK YOU GOD FOR YOUR CREATION OF SUCH MANLY BEAUTY THAT WE MAY ALL ASPIRE TO. I WORSHIP YOU BEAUTIFUL MAN.

Posted by: SISTER MARIA EVANGELICA MAMMACULOS | Feb 5, 2010 5:59:14 PM

12. But a little while, just a little while longer, and TT The Snipper will fall off the radar and into the Swamp. Maybe, like Jason White, he'll open a Gators/Seminoles spirit shop and sell T-shirts and foam Gators and blue hoodies and sign autographs and recruit players for Florida. We can only hope anyway.

Posted by: clint | Feb 5, 2010 6:58:53 PM

13. Does the television ad ever say anything about Pam Tebow's real choices. It was illegal to have abortions in the Philipines when she was there. So her choice was to either have the baby or go to jail. No one in the ad says anything about that. You'd think a Christian Group would be honest. Ha Ha! Only when it benefits "them" Aand CBS is just as much to blame. What happened to "love thy neighbor"! Another laugh. Religion is bad for religion. One day those people will wake up and realize it's nothing more than a business!

Posted by: Randy | Feb 6, 2010 1:36:42 AM

14. Without knowing what the ad will say, everyone is ignoring the Fact...she Had A Choice! Whether she had the child or the abortion, she Made A Choice, because She HAD One! No one told her that she Must Have The Child And Die...they said that she Could Abort, so that she Would Not Die! Then, add abortion being illegal there...what a mess! Wonder if any of this will be in the commercial!?
    Breeders....why won't they just all die off?! There are Plenty of Test Tubes in the world!
    ^^X^^