Advertising | Football (American) | News | Sports | Tim Tebow

Watch: Every So-Called 'Violent' Act in 2010 Super Bowl Ads

Pamtebow

Between last night and this morning, someone was hard at work putting together a montage of all the nut-punching, bitch-slapping, and tackling that went on in the ads during the Super Bowl.

Seems to me most of this is slapstick, though, not what I'd call violence.

There are plenty of articles out today about how CBS and 'Focus on the Family' punked the critics and the exasperated blogosphere because the Tebow ads were so tame in their execution and never mentioned abortion.

That was known from the onset, however. The real issue is that a hate group was allowed to splash its URL across the living rooms of America in the guise of a gentle, "family" message. And that was perhaps the most violent act of all.

Watch the clip reel and the Tebow ad that aired during the game, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's the Tebow ad that aired during the game:

Comments

1. Do I understand that you are calling "Focus on the Family" a HATE group? If you are, I don't see how you can think that. Focus on the Family is a group that promotes family values. You may not agree with their beliefs, you may think they are dead wrong in their beliefs but they do have the right to believe what they believe and they have the right to proclaim those beliefs. You have expressed your beliefs here on your website and that is YOUR right. What's the difference?

Posted by: jane | Feb 8, 2010 8:11:53 AM

2. I love how the FOTF commercial on YouTube has ratings and comments disabled.

Posted by: Stevious | Feb 8, 2010 8:16:12 AM

3. jane, of ourse they have the right to say whatever they want. But they are still a hate group. They advocate for the torture of gay teenagers and the discrimination and persecution of all gay people. People like you need to own your hate and stop hiding behind your superstitious beliefs. The differene between us and you is that we don't think people like you should be treated as seond class citizens, or subject to random beatings and harassment. you're feigned shock at being called out on your bigotry is disgusting.

Posted by: gaylib | Feb 8, 2010 8:29:19 AM

4. Jane you can be gay and have a family, focus on the family has trashed and bashed gays for a long time. Westboro Baptist Church is a hate group but I guess you jane don't think so?

Posted by: Drew | Feb 8, 2010 8:29:22 AM

5. Jane - Focus on the Family is not being called a hate group for nothing or for simply expressing a view on abortion. Take one look at what Matt Barber and Peter LaBarbera have said about LGBT Americans and you start to see a very different type of "family values." This sham of a group wants to roll back our society to the 50's and "pray away the gay." Not only is ex-gay reparative (so-called) therapy dangerously unscientific - it doesn't even work!

The difference between the free-thinking people on this site and the mind-numbingly morons from Focus on the Family is that we're not trying to force our beliefs on anyone. We preach tolerance and acceptance, but that message does NOT extend to those who would deny us the right to exist.

Please take your self-righteous indignation and kindly fuck off :)

Posted by: Matt | Feb 8, 2010 8:30:39 AM

6. Um, JANE, the KKK has a "right to believe what they believe and they have the right to proclaim those beliefs," -- but they are a hate group, wouldn't you say?

Focus on the Family's message is anti-choice and anti-gay. It preaches homosexuality is a sin, something to be "cured" or "counseled away" ...and to millions of people who do identify as gay or transgendered and know that theirs is not a choice, that is a message of hate.

FOTF may not be as extreme in its methods as the KKK, but they both share the same self-righteous assurance that they're following "God's word" and they both share the discriminatory purpose of persecuting minorities.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 8, 2010 8:40:07 AM

7. The saddest part of the Super Bore/Tim Tebow ad debacle -is that the MSM did not even discuss why there was such outrage at the ad----they purposely did not mention that Focus on the(Christian Taliban) Family was behind the advertisement. They talked up the Choice/Anti-Choice argument. The real issue was the hate-spewing, sanctimonious, superstitious idiots that comprise this odious group.

Posted by: NIck | Feb 8, 2010 8:40:15 AM

8. Jane is one of the delusional zombies who believe Jebus is coming back to take her home any minute now and she's gonna take as many people down as she can, before that happens.

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 8, 2010 8:49:20 AM

9. An awful lot of hate being spread in these comments for a group that is supposed to be tolerant. And that's what hurt us in the first place. The FOTF group, of which probably few people had even heard, has been elevated to martyr status because of all the protesting, which turned out to be about nothing. We, on the other hand, look like people who do not want anyone else's opinions heard if they do not agree with us. The message was not about torturing gay kids or anything of the kind. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and maybe we can learn to be more effective in our opposition to such groups through the failure to come off as anything but shrill zealots. Yeah, we got punked, but that does not mean we have to do it again next time.

Posted by: catherine | Feb 8, 2010 9:33:39 AM

10. F-you Catherine --- "we" rightfully made noise because a HATE group that preaches that gay men should be feared as they are a PEDOPHILE threat to "the children".

It is the CORPORATE media that continues to ignore that reality to maintain the status quo and keep us an enemy to be feared - to distract the masses so they do not rebel against the twisted economic elites.

So again - F YOU Catherine.

Posted by: Walter | Feb 8, 2010 9:44:03 AM

11. "The FOTF group, of which probably few people had even heard"

Maybe that's your problem. You're unfamiliar with them, and assume everyone else is as well.

Posted by: Wes | Feb 8, 2010 9:54:33 AM

12. The Tebow ad was just another underhanded, sneaky way to worm into the unsuspecting collective conscience.

All the hoopla over this "anti-abortion" was exactly what FOTM wanted. They knew that the pro-choice and gay groups would raise a stink ultimately leading to longer lasting effects than some 30 second ad.

Funny, when I was taught about the bible, nobody said that God was sneaky.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 8, 2010 9:55:01 AM

13. Any of these FOTF defenders going to do more than a drive-by comment and actually respond to the fact that they routinely vilify homosexuals and THAT's why we have a problem with them?

Who am I kidding, they probably agree with it.

Posted by: Wes | Feb 8, 2010 10:02:36 AM

14. you're being way to kind Kevin. They are flat out liars. Furthermore they pretend to base their hatred of gays on their religion when it is clearly their bigotry which is to blame. Yet when we call them out on it they scream that they are the ones being persecuted. They've been using that same routine for decades. Focus on the Family is a hate group, just like the KKK or any other extreme Christianist movement (Tim McVeigh, Eric Rudolph, Pat Robertson, Peter LaBarbera...they're all coming from the same place). That's what makes their ad airing on the superbowl so disgusting. I don't care what the content was.

Posted by: gaylib | Feb 8, 2010 10:07:31 AM

15. I'm disappointed that no one here made the comment to the first poster, "JANE YOU IGNORANT SLUT!" ala Gilda.

Posted by: Jubal H | Feb 8, 2010 10:15:45 AM

16. uh..can we talk about the violence..? Last night's was the first game I've watched since the mid-90's, and, yeah..I was disgustingly appalled by the violence in the ads. I'm not a tv or game watcher. Is this violence the standard, these days...?

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 8, 2010 10:40:40 AM

17. FOTF isn't a hate group. It simply believes in the biblical/tradition sense of marriage. In the past, individuals linked (some rather distantly) to the organization have said horribly hurtful and sick things, but these are not part of the organization's dogma. The majority of the people in FOTF believe in a "Hate the sin, not the sinner" approach, something at which we on our side fail miserably. It's ok to disagree, but ultimately it's having enough respect for your fellow man to accept that point of view, even though it goes against every fiber of your being. No one wins when our side decides to "shout over" whatever the other side is saying. It just stops the actual conversation from taking place. Stop being victims. Don't allow comments by others to effect your perception of yourself or how you face the world. Start acting like adults and identifying yourself by more than what you do in the bedroom. If we want equality, THAT is how we get it. Have a little bit of faith in your common man. People are smarter than we give them credit for, and aren't going to suddenly decide to hate gays because they happen to visit the FOTF website. We can't force people to accept us, but we can show them that we aren't something to fear, that we live normal lives and have normal families and contribute to society. Most of all, we need to stop over-reacting and realize that there are people who, in the end, won't like us anyway, and that it's ok. The kind of vitriol and nastiness that comes through on blog comments such as above don't serve our cause in the slightest. Look at how quick we were to attack Jane and Catherine (and I'm guessing I'll take some heat too) for merely presenting a different point of view. It's like Michael Jackson said: "I"m starting with the man in the mirror.." :~)

Posted by: Josh | Feb 8, 2010 11:27:04 AM

18. I am ashamed for the human race when those who preach tolerance are the most intolerant of all.

I can almost guarantee, without question, that when I say that it is a huge stretch to call a group which ONLY advocates for so called "family values" a hate group merely because they do not advocate for your ideal of "family values" I, too, will be called a proponent of hate.

I ask you this, do you know where I stand? Do you honestly know what my belief system is, what sexual orientation I am, my religion (if any), background, race, or political affiliation? No, you do not.

A hate group is a group which advocates the breaking of the law with speech or written word to incite violence toward another group. FotF has no record of that.

Speaking out is not hate if it's merely an opinion. Jumping to that conclusion is often the problem with "advocate" groups and individuals.

Posted by: Peter Brinkman | Feb 8, 2010 11:40:11 AM

19. I must add, further, it matters not what label I am, or what groups I am or am not a member of, and it doesn't matter what I am as a human being... I am an American.

Hate is a damn strong word. It really loses it's meaning when overused or used incorrectly.

There are haters out there, and I am very saddened whenever they speak. I am most appalled, however, when I hear it from the mouths of those who purport to be advocates of "tolerance," which is much too often of late.

Posted by: Peter Brinkman | Feb 8, 2010 11:49:06 AM

20. I ahve said for years that our side runs the risk of being controlled by the "thought police". I recently spent a week in a "thought police" bubble. I hated it, though, I loved the people I was with. They meant well.

FOF and the Christian right are "thought police" who do not mean well and anyone here who regularly reads about these groups would be hard pressed to call them anything but hate groups.

Btw, I say that we take their tactics and use the same subliminal coding, etc., for our own purposes. We need to stop bringing butter knives that Gay Inc supplies us when we are going to a switchblade fight with these HATE GROUPS.

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Feb 8, 2010 11:54:21 AM

21. Btw, what was up with all of those violent ads? I asked my friend at one point, "what's with all the hitting?"

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Feb 8, 2010 11:55:41 AM

22. To be quite honest if I Had not known in advance that FOF and their ad was "Anti-Choice" - the fact that Tebow came off so gay i might have gotten the impression the ad was all about "loving your children regardless of "What" they are"! Seriously he did come off as Gay and the ad shows a Mother accepting her child! Just a thought!

Posted by: AlexInBoston | Feb 8, 2010 12:01:25 PM

23. I want to see the mission statement for the FotF which explicitly states that they advocate the torture or murder of children or homosexuals.

If it is true that they do that, then they should all be murdered and buried, their families too so they cannot reproduce and spread their hate onto future generations. We should absolutely eliminate all people who have the slightest hint of intolerance and rid the world of it once and for all.

(and if you believed any of what I said in that last paragraph, you are too far gone and have no more compassion for humanity and I hope your beliefs are unique)

Posted by: Peter Brinkman | Feb 8, 2010 12:01:26 PM

24. I too had an uneasy feeling in my stomach when I saw that URL flash across the screen. What these "tolerance" posters are not comprehending is that taking away rights & branding a class of people as "sinners" is destructive to society. This is not an issue about "tolerance." That's how these right-wing homophobes are trying to frame this. Don't let that twisted & perverted viewpoint gain credence. It's a basic issue of right and wrong.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Feb 8, 2010 12:04:17 PM

25. Your over the top rhetoric of labeling FOF as a "hate" group does nothing to further your cause. In fact, it tends to put you in the same league as the Westboro nuts who truly are a hate group. Some day gays will have all the rights and responsibilities as everybody else. When that happens, you will have to learn to play nice with others. Even with every legal protection available to you, society in general can and will judge you by the content of your character. If the comments here are indicative of that character, it will be a harsh judgment indeed.

Posted by: azkenreid | Feb 8, 2010 12:09:01 PM