Haiti | Music | Music Video | News

Watch: 'We are the World' 25 for Haiti

Watw

The new "We Are the World 25 for Haiti" was previewed last night during the Olympics opening ceremonies.  The video was directed by Paul Haggis and produced by Quincy Jones.

Here's the whole version, AFTER THE JUMP...

Your thoughts? Here's a link to the World25 website.

Just for kicks, here's the original:

Comments

1. With Vince Vaughn as Dan Aykroyd.

Posted by: Roscoe | Feb 13, 2010 10:08:19 AM

2. I approved of Pink and Jennifer Nettles... the rest? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ that is how i feel

Posted by: Tom | Feb 13, 2010 11:00:40 AM

3. P!nk is amazing!

Posted by: REYnoldo | Feb 13, 2010 11:09:29 AM

4. Am I the only one who noticed they rewrote the song?

Anyway... I like that the new version encompasses so many styles of artistry. Yes, I'm glad to hear rappers in the song. And while I'm not a huge fan, damn, Wyclef Jean's voice has got some passion to it.

Posted by: DR | Feb 13, 2010 11:19:31 AM

5. Didn't like it. Original still the best.

Posted by: terry | Feb 13, 2010 12:18:15 PM

6. HATE IT!

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 13, 2010 12:21:59 PM

7. Parts of it are complete crap... friggin Hannah Montana?! Justin Beeper or whatever his name is?! Actually liked the rap in it... makes since to me. Over all could have been MUCH worse!!

Posted by: Allen | Feb 13, 2010 12:48:48 PM

8. Ugh.
    100% Tragic.
    Shame on QJ and Lionel Richie.
    This shouldn't have EVER happened!
    (Thanks for the old school reminder tho!)

Posted by: Lp | Feb 13, 2010 1:05:39 PM

9. The new one will do alright. But rewatching the original from 1985 it goes to show what talent we once had --- no synthetic auto-tune back then, just real voices from some very talented singers. I love that for the new one they had to go with Celine in order to make that crescendo as good as Cyndi's original---Cyndi should feel very honored.

Posted by: Mr. Avenjer | Feb 13, 2010 1:23:52 PM

10. Mr. Avenjer's right, I hate how much the autotune is used. But the new version has its high points too. Pink is awesome. And I normally can't stand Celine, but she sounded great here.

The old version was a treat... I know he's cheesy, but I just love Steve Perry. What an instrument.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 13, 2010 1:54:32 PM

11. This must have only been on TV. We did not see it in BC placeat the ceremonies.

Posted by: KT | Feb 13, 2010 2:34:47 PM

12. I sincerely hope this raises millions and millions of dollars for relief in Haiti, but it is pure and utter shite.

Jamie Foxx may be delusional enough to believe that running his voice through Auto Tune and singing that dumbass song "Blame It" makes him a musical artist, but everyone else...even Hannah Montana...should have been embarrassed to be in the same recording studio with him.

Wyclef Jean sounded like a cat being strangled underwater.

The rap portion of the song, especially when juxtaposed with people actually singing, highlighted the artistic poverty of that genre. The *only* humans on this planet who have ever made rap compelling and beautiful are Saul Williams and Slug from the indie rap group Atmosphere.

Who thought it was appropriate to give solo performances to Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Nicole Scherzinger, Josh Groban, Nick Jonas, Fergie, Tony Bennett (I'm sorry, but his voice is now as dry and brittle as a bag of leaves from last autumn) and Lil' Wayne while relegating Natalie Cole, Harry Connick Jr., Gladys Knight, Joel and Benji Madden, Rob Thomas, India Arie and Jordan Sparks to the chorus?!

Mary J. Blige and Pink were standouts...excellent vocal artists both of them. Celine Dion was (shockingly) good. Even Adam Levine sounded great (perhaps because he followed the aural torture committed by Wyclef Jean?). Enrique Iglesias sounded more soulful and sincere than anyone else, but I admit I would have enjoyed his performance even more if he had been shirtless. I'm no fan of Barbra Streisand, but even now her voice, and her phrasing, remain undeniably superb.

I never liked the original "We Are The World", preferring Britain's "Do They Know It's Christmas?", but I do hope this version raises mountains of money for relief in Haiti. After all, they are probably the only people in the world suffering more than those of us who had to be subjected to Wyclef Jean, Jamie Foxx, Akon, T-Pain, Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, Kanye West and Fergie all in one song!

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 13, 2010 2:53:50 PM

13. A few notes.

1. The guy at 4:52 can't sing.
    2. Where is Susan Boyle? Where is Lady Gaga? Beyonce (was she there?)?
    3. I agree that Celine Dion pales in comparison to Cyndi Lauper 25 years earlier.
    4. Jeff Bridges is a renown singer?
    5. Love that JHud got so much screen time (though Barbara probably hates it.

Overall: A decent video.

Posted by: Rodney | Feb 13, 2010 2:57:42 PM

14. We are the straight world.

Posted by: Derek Hartley | Feb 13, 2010 3:33:19 PM

15. First thought that popped into my head was the original "Buy the World a Coke" video with its "Chilltop" remake. Whereas the original is very touching, the remake, for all its effort to connect to a newer time, seems emotionless and artificial.

Watching the original "We Are the World" [not being nostalgic, by the way, because it's older than I am] you really can feel the genuine interest in the project from the participants. In the remake, so many of them who turn everything into who can feign emotion the best with excessive improvised melismatics.

I think there were a few very good performers here, though like others I wonder why certain very notable people were missing when others with a fraction of their talent appeared, and likewise why some of the better singers were trapped in the chorus.

I actually didn't mind some of the actual hip hop stuff towards the end, though I despised Lil Wayne and T-Pain's signature autotune usages, which really detracted from the performance as a whole.

Posted by: Alex Rivlin | Feb 13, 2010 4:06:33 PM

16. Well.

Having actually been a teenager when the original was made, what made the original so, so notable, was that it was legend after legend after that sang with relatively few newbies. I didn't like the song then, and this version is horrid.

I actually enjoyed the rap portion of this, I am so glad that Mary J. Blige has learned how to SANG (she sounded great).

Celine was OK but no way that tops Cyndi Lauper.

And...I actually preferred Miss Ross to Miss Streisand in that portion of the song...do I have to turn in my gay card for that?

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 13, 2010 4:06:47 PM

17. What is that pig from American Idol doing there, he's a singer?

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 13, 2010 4:32:36 PM

18. We Are The Ghetto

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Feb 13, 2010 4:46:28 PM

19. Was I the only person that thought the new version was a rotted, gutted mess? It was horrible! Giving credit to Pink and Celine for preventing my ears from bleeding.
    Very disappointing effort for such a worthy cause

Posted by: Corey | Feb 13, 2010 6:48:47 PM

20. I loved most of it. The rapping added a new element. The snips of Michael added a nice tie to the original.

Could have done without Justin Beiber and Miss Cyrus.. neither of them has enough artistry, eloquence, talent, or originality to stand in the company of powerful legendary vocalists like Gladys and Stevie.

Also could've done without the auto-tune. Yes I know it's a style in today's music but it just felt inappropriate here.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 13, 2010 7:09:18 PM

21. Barbra and Celine, great, the rest just awful.

Posted by: Ken Atkins | Feb 13, 2010 8:24:33 PM

22. I don't like the new version. It just doesn't sound as powerful as the original. Listening to the original again, I got chills.

The rap section of the new one is completely out of place. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the song. They should have cut it instead of trying to be "inclusive."

Posted by: Eric | Feb 13, 2010 9:03:15 PM

23. I was all like 'you guys are total haters'. Then I watched the original.

Dylan and Kenny Rogers, and Springsteen in one song. Amazing.

Also, If you saw MJ on TV looking like that today you would just logically assume he was built in CG. His skin is gleaming like latex.

Posted by: James | Feb 13, 2010 9:22:21 PM

24. Where da white people at?

Seriously.

Talk about reverse discrimination. Are white guys no longer musically viable? And that little teenybopper piece of poultry at the beginning barely counts as male.

Also, giving Jennifer Hudson and Jamie Foxx (ugh) 15 solos while relegating Gladys Knight to the chorus is shameful.

Funny how this is the version for the "new generation." Meanwhile Streisand and Celine were the only ones who could carry a tune, despite the latter aping Cindy Lauper, whose solo in the original was the apex of the song (poor Kim "When We" Carnes).

Proves that today's pop culture - and its progeny - are toilet paper.

Posted by: Wha? | Feb 13, 2010 11:42:56 PM

25. I actually didn't mind the rap too much although I felt it was way to long.....my biggest gripe? With all the talent in that room....Randy Jackson????? Puhleeze. And what was with all the auto tune at the end? Not a fan of this version at all.

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 14, 2010 1:49:08 AM