Gay Production of Grease to be Staged in Washington D.C.

Gaygrease

"Greased lightning" should have a whole new meaning once The Gay Men's Chorus of Washington D.C. gets finished with it. They're doing a full staging of the musical later this month.

They write: "Following in the footsteps of The Wizard of Oz and Bye Bye Birdie, GMCW presents a fully-staged production of Grease! Picture our own Danny Zuko, Sandy, Rizzo and the Pink Ladies ‚ÄĒ what could be more fun?"

Comments

1. tony says

how about posting things like this way in advance so we can plan a trip. For example, the PeeWee Herman show in LA.

2. Dback says

My first thought when I read this was, “What a dorky idea.” But that poster is HOT. Maybe there’s potential after all. (Brings to mind the “Happy Days” outtake where Fonzie goes gay for once–do a YouTube search under “Happy Days” and “gay” and you’ll find it. Pretty funny.)

3. says

Abie: The Rizzo “crisis” in the GMCW production is no longer pregnancy, but a particular situation that could only happen to a queer boy in 1959. The cast is having a blast with this show, and hoping for a sell-out, which will allow the Chorus to “gay-ify” more staples of the American Musical Theatre … you can buy tickets at http://www.gmcw.org

4. elcamino says

Oh my God you have NO IDEA how much I want tickets to this. When does it open in NYC?

5. KJ says

Hey, Red! I have no doubt that Steve would be to my liking, though I’ve always preferred men in jeans over form-fitting lycra. ūüėČ I hope he can sell a ballad (Assuming that “Hopelessly Devoted to You” is included in the song list.).

Would love to see the show!

6. Stu21202 says

Not to burst anyone’s bubble, but the stage version of Grease doesn’t include “Hopelessly Devoted To You”. That was written for the movie.

Theater queens unite!

7. says

KJ/Stu: “Hopelessly Devoted to You” was not in the original stage show, and it was written for the film – but it (and “You’re the One that I Want” and others that were written for the movie) has been included in just about every revival of GREASE since then.

GMCW’s production, by contrast, is as close to the original 1972 Broadway version as we could get it (including the salty language that was cleaned up sometime in the 80’s). Sandy sings “It’s Rainin’ On Prom Night” in lieu of “Hopelessly Devoted,” and the cast sings lots of other songs you didn’t hear in the film, like “Those Magic Changes” (Sha-Na-Na played this song at the dance, but here it gets full production-number treatment), “Freddy My Love,” “All Choked Up,” and (my personal favorite) “Mooning” (a romantic ballad about indecent exposure).

8. steve says

elcamino, you’re too kind. but i don’t even know what a tall drink of water means. sadly, no shows in nyc, but there might be a way to schedule a private home viewing :)

9. David B. 2 says

a tall drink of water is a Southern term for a good looking tall gentleman you would like to … oh look it up at urbandictionary.com

10. KJ says

Yep, Stu and Red, I knew that and that many stage productions include the movie songs, thus my qualification. I didn’t get my gay card yesterday, have had Olivia has my personal diva since 1973 (Though, of course, I had no idea that’s what she was.), and am a long-time Grease fan, “salty” language and all (The chicks will what??). :-)

Steve, a tall drink of water means that ‘mo boys look at you the way hetero boys looked at Olivia back in the day. Now get out there and look purty, you heart breaker, you!

This thread is way to fun.

11. AJD says

My boyfriend and I are going to DC for our two year anniversary — what luck we will be in town for this show! I just bought my tickets. Tickets are quite cheap: I got ours (2) for $78, middle terrace. Fees were only $3 a ticket, a steal compared to Ticketmaster/LiveNation. We’re very excited!