News | Scott Evans | Soap Operas | Television

Gay Storyline Gets Axed on 'One Life to Live'

Oltl3

Scott Evans and Brett Claywell's gay storyline will be written out of One Life to Live by mid-April, TV Guide reports:

"Word is, the decision to drop the duo didn’t come easily. Kish has been a big success with the media and the show’s gay fans, and gay-advocacy groups have showered OLTL with awards for creating the trail-blazing couple. But sources at the network say the duo failed to resonate with the mainstream audience. Ratings for the ABC soap were particularly dismal in late 2009 during the weeks that Fish came out of the closet and he and Kyle officially became a couple. Also playing simultaneously was a sprawling plot that had Robin Strasser’s character, Dorian, pretending to be a lesbian in order to win the gay vote in the Llanview mayoral race. A case of gay overkill?"

Said executive producer Frank Valentini: “We are concluding the story that we set out to tell with Kyle and Fish. We are very proud to have broken new ground with a same-sex couple on daytime.”

The "Kish" sex scene, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I bet there is a complete meltdown happening over at AfterElton. What the hell will that site talk about now?

Posted by: Paul | Mar 11, 2010 10:28:06 AM

2. Paul --- why so bitter ?

Mr. Evan represented VERY WELL.
    There is no reason that these two should be written out of the show completely. He is cop ... and should still have use in a soap opera.

Bigotry prevails ....

They COULD keep him on as a token gay character - just as they have token black and latino characters. Can not even think of an Asian soap character.

Posted by: Walter | Mar 11, 2010 10:37:01 AM

3. Who cares? Their storyline was boring. Give me crazy ass Dorian anyday!

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Mar 11, 2010 10:40:30 AM

4. A groundbreaking scene, but it sure looks like it was written by a staight woman. Brokeback Mountain did it a lot better.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 11, 2010 10:43:00 AM

5. According to We Love Soaps, the show is the favorite to win the GLAAD Award this weekend. Strange timing announcing this just before the ceremony.

Posted by: Aaron K | Mar 11, 2010 10:58:54 AM

6. Um, Jack M. Brokeback Mountain was written by a straight woman, Annie Proulx.
    The screenplay was by Larry McMurtry and Diana Osseana I think...

Posted by: dp | Mar 11, 2010 11:13:04 AM

7. You should care because something stinks to high heaven here. These two have not been center of this show EVER!! They're using the ratings fail as an excuse. Something tells me they were pressured by the more conservative affiliates out there and they buckled under the pressure. They should at least admit the truth to their viewers. These ABC execs are nothing but cowards and it's very sad to see.

Posted by: realitythink | Mar 11, 2010 11:13:11 AM

8. They were the main reason I started Tivoing the show. After mid-April, I'll not be watching.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 11, 2010 12:10:22 PM

9. Um, DP - Annie Proulx is a gay woman.

Posted by: Archie Gianunzio | Mar 11, 2010 12:15:48 PM

10. Luke and Noah are still going strong on As The World Turns. (Sadly the show has not been renewed for next season)

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 11, 2010 12:39:32 PM

11. I believe Scott Evans was never a contract player, only o recurring status. There was also talk of him leaving to persue primetime work.

Posted by: NYSmike | Mar 11, 2010 12:44:51 PM

12. I liked the chemistry between Scott and Brett. It's a shame to lose that.

You know? It's about time for some network to take a run at doing a show where the main focus is a gay couple in a new relationship.

(If there is one, I haven't seen it.)

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Mar 11, 2010 1:13:00 PM

13. James,

HBO is adopting the "Ollie and Christian" storyline of the German soap "Verbotene Lieb" so yeah, soon there will be a series focused entirely on a gay couple. Of course there was Queer As Folks before.

Posted by: Dave | Mar 11, 2010 1:19:12 PM

14. Well, at least they tried.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 11, 2010 2:25:35 PM

15. Gotta agree with Bobby.. Its the only reason I was TIVOing the show as well. I was looking forward the whole Fish being a Father storyline and what could be developed in that. Gay Dads! Its a shame.

Posted by: Trace | Mar 11, 2010 2:44:19 PM

16. I'm very disappointed by this. I was a fan of OLTL before this storyline. No more. I have no respect for people who kowtow to bigots, and won't be watching the show any more after Kish leaves.

Posted by: Eva Young | Mar 11, 2010 3:15:24 PM

17. HA! Luke and Noah still running strong before them and after them! and their entire show is gettin' axed! Team NUKE, bitches!

Posted by: Toto | Mar 11, 2010 4:01:13 PM

18. OLTL is consistently one of the lowest rated soaps. And they are blaming it on Kish? I agree with RealityThink: something really does smell funny here.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 11, 2010 4:53:19 PM

19. @Toto: Luke and Noah are neutered: they never kiss really and have NEVER had a love scene like Kish. Maybe you're okay with half an effort to appeal to gay audiences, but I'm not. And your show has been canceled, in case you hadn't noticed.

Posted by: Dirty | Mar 11, 2010 7:18:36 PM

20. @ARCHIE GIANUNZIO sorry Annie Proulx isn't gay. Here's a quote from an interview "Put yourself in my place, she says, An elderly, white, straight female, trying to write about two 19-year-old gay kids in 1963. What kind of imaginative leap do you think was necessary? Profound, extreme, large. To get into those guys' heads and actions took a lot of 16-hour days, and never thinking about anything else and living a zombie life. That's what I had to do. I really needed an exorcist to get rid of those characters. And they roared back when I saw the film."

Posted by: JD | Mar 11, 2010 8:27:50 PM

21. I'm pretty sure the gay story line (the tiny, tiny gay story line) is not the cause of the low ratings...how about the abysmal writing of the show? come on OLTL, axe the old writers and hire writers that can come up with (at the very least) a somewhat cohesive story, and a few original ideas?

Posted by: Gavin james | Mar 14, 2010 12:46:22 AM

22. Gavin, couldn't agree more. The tired old story line of "good" Vicki, Bo, and Nora vs. "bad" Dorian was old 15 years ago and is the real reason the show itself should be "completed".

Posted by: Ren Martin | Mar 14, 2010 1:45:17 PM