News

Hank Plante, One of Nation's First Openly Gay TV Reporters, Retiring

Plante

San Francisco reporter Hank Plante, one of the nation's first openly gay TV reporters, is retiring at the end of the month after 25 years with KPIX (CBS5).

Said Channel 5 anchor Dana King to the Contra Costa Times: "Hank was the consummate professional, never combative but he did his homework and asked tough, pointed questions. Politicians, love him or hate him, respected and answered them, every single time. Our newsroom will suffer a huge intellectual void when he leaves."

A clip reel of three decades of reporting, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Absolutely fascinating career. I'd like to know more about him.

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 17, 2010 3:06:47 PM

2. Hank is great. I used to see him around the Castro when I lived in SF.

Nice guy and great reporter.

Posted by: REYnoldo | Mar 17, 2010 3:35:55 PM

3. Wow, my gaydar must have been totally off the last couple of years. I had no idea he was gay! Sad that he's leaving, there are so few great local reporters still out there that make the evening news worth watching. Thanks Hank for all your years of excellence.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 17, 2010 4:46:57 PM

4. Meanwhile, San Francisco has no openly day anchors that I know of (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) which is pathetic. Not even sure if there are reporters. Nary of mention of this lack of gay represenation in front of the camera by the print media in town -- even at the Bay Area Reporter.

Posted by: William | Mar 17, 2010 7:24:25 PM

5. hi hank, congrats... but of course, we'll all miss you on TV; now you can finally start your "occasional interview series" a la Barbara W, or maybe something Dame Edna-style poolside in PS?! :)

Posted by: stephen | Mar 17, 2010 11:56:42 PM

6. Retirement is just another word for change of career. I heard Plante's name now and then over the years, even out here on the east coast of Canada. Congrats on capping a fascinating career. Now... memoir, please!

Posted by: RJ | Mar 18, 2010 8:38:30 AM

7. Like Joel, I had no idea Hank was gay either. I wish some of the national reporters asked questions as tough and direct as Hank does.

Posted by: rodger | Mar 18, 2010 1:40:31 PM