Glenn Beck | James Cameron | News

James Cameron Unleashes on Glenn Beck, Conservatives

Avatar director James Cameron wants to debate Glenn Beck, he told reporters at a press junket for the video release of the film on Tuesday, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

CameronSaid Cameron: "Glenn Beck is a fucking asshole. I've met him. He called me the anti-Christ and not about 'Avatar.' He hadn't even seen 'Avatar' yet. I don't know if he has seen it...I think, you know what, he may or may not be an asshole, but he certainly is dangerous, and I'd love to have a dialogue with him...He's dangerous because his ideas are poisonous. I couldn't believe when he was on CNN. I thought, what happened to CNN? Who is this guy? Who is this madman? And then of course he wound up on Fox News, which is where he belongs, I guess...[The right wing are] just people ranting away, lost in their little bubbles of reality, steeped in their own hatred, their own fear and hatred. That's where it all comes from. Let's just call it out. Let's have a public discussion. That's what movies are supposed to do, you know, you can have a mindless entertainment film that doesn't affect anybody. I wasn't interested in that...Anybody that is a global-warming denier at this point in time has got their head so deeply up their ass I'm not sure they could hear me."

Comments

1. LOL. I really enjoyed that but... I would bet money he is going to regret ever saying that. Expect back peddling or an apology from his publicist in five, four, three, two...

Posted by: Bryant | Mar 24, 2010 10:52:45 AM

2. Thank you Mr. Cameron! Indeed, the people who watch Glenn Beck are people who are simple and ignorant people who seek to project blame for their sorry lives onto someone other than themselves. They are railing against their own failures and frustrations and taking it out on the most visible black man in the country: Obama. These people are desperate for someone to blame for their personal failures; for their cacooned lives; for their financial failures; for their academic shortcomings; for their failed marriages; for their own weaknesses; for just about anything! And it's an outpouring coming from the ignorant and bigoted classes of America. One delusion that they cling to is that someone other than themselves is to blame for their misery. Typical fascist scapegoating... the brown shirts in Nazi Germany were equally as stupid and pathetic.

Posted by: dancobbb | Mar 24, 2010 11:00:13 AM

3. James Cameron has so much money and is so wanted by the film industry that he could say pretty much anything he wants. I'm glad he's using his celebrity to knock down Glenn "The Mormon Nutcase" Beck.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 24, 2010 11:07:00 AM

4. Agree with everything he said. Maybe it's just me this morning, but does anyone else get an icky vibe from Cameron? Again, I can't say that I disagree with him, I just get a really narcissistic douche-y vibe.

Or maybe I just need another cup of coffee, which is equally possible.

Posted by: The Milkman | Mar 24, 2010 11:08:36 AM

5. I agree with Cameron, but doesn't he have a reputation of being one the biggest assholes in Hollywood (that is saying a lot)? Maybe it takes one to know one.

Posted by: JJ Tw | Mar 24, 2010 11:12:55 AM

6. James Cameron is well known to have a massive ego and a short fuse. Granted, he's usually right.

He's like Hollywood's Michael Bedwell!

Posted by: crispy | Mar 24, 2010 11:28:43 AM

7. I've never really cared for Cameron...His womenizing tactics, tho I Liked his movies...but him, not so much...these anti Beck/GOP statements gave me a NEW perspective on him...hmmmm,maybe he's not so bad.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 24, 2010 11:29:02 AM

8. I've never really cared for Cameron...Liked his movies...but him, not so much...these statements gave me a NEW perspective on him...hmmmm,maybe he's not so bad.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 24, 2010 11:29:36 AM

9. I'm not a big Cameron fan, though I like a few of his films a lot. I'm glad he didn't pull any punches with those remarks. He could have said the same thing without the ooomph - and I hate to be one who praises foulish language for the sake of it - but it really made a difference in the tenor of the comments, and they were right the fuck on!

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 24, 2010 11:32:37 AM

10. I wish more people and especially mainstream media would come out and attack that lunatic. Glenn Beck belongs in a nice padded cell with nice doctors to look after him, not on TV.

Posted by: ravewulf | Mar 24, 2010 12:14:31 PM

11. just. awesome.

Posted by: Baby Jane | Mar 24, 2010 12:16:22 PM

12. I have never likes Cameron, but will have to rethink that.

Posted by: Rikard | Mar 24, 2010 12:51:29 PM

13. Wow! If only our elected officials had the courage,balls,arrogance,intelligence and vocabulary to actually speak the truth wouldn't the world be a better more honest place? Bravo Mr. Cameron. Bravo.

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 24, 2010 12:58:44 PM

14. Hate his movies. He's a total dick. Love Linda Hamilton. Love this rant. Okay. Now love him . Now let's see some cash backing progressive candidates sir.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 24, 2010 1:02:35 PM

15. I couldn't tell. how does he really feel?

Posted by: RugbySkin | Mar 24, 2010 1:45:52 PM

16. I just love that he thinks he doesn't support a "mindless entertainment film that doesn't affect anybody"(better known as Avatar). The guys a joke. The fact that he thinks Glenn Beck represents what legitimate conservatives think proves that.

Posted by: MovieSnob | Mar 24, 2010 2:58:39 PM

17. Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Mr. Cameron! Indeed Thank you!

Terry

Posted by: Terry | Mar 24, 2010 3:22:25 PM

18. Moviesnob, Glen Beck does represent modern conservative thought. Sorry, the days of genteel conservatives with slightly lilting British accents like W.F. Buckley are long gone.

Beck and talk radio screechers are the intellectual powerhouses now. You can't disown them because they are insane and embarrass you.

Posted by: Jane Roe | Mar 24, 2010 3:29:50 PM

19. Hopefully James Cameron's next film will be about the end of the Republican party and all the Glen Beck's of the world.

Posted by: Dawnell_do | Mar 24, 2010 7:40:52 PM

20. @ The Milkman: I agree with you... James has always pushed this douchey atmosphere into any room that he enters.

It's like his physical presence sucks, but his verbal statements rock. Put the two together and you get a douche who sounds intelligent yet smug when interviewed live.

Posted by: Drew | Mar 24, 2010 8:44:38 PM

21. Cameron is a hero. Just think what he has done. He produced a movie that not only showed how horrible we are as a race w.r.t. our planet, he also made it an atheist manifesto, knowing millions upon millions would be watching it.

He did it so well I was surprised when christianists figured it out and spoke out against it.

We have to thank him for making something simple enough the masses would enjoy it while using it to deliver a much needed message.

In case you missed it (atheist blogs were all over this, I noticed it during the movie but I'm tuned into this stuff) the whole "religion" that the blue people follow was proven by the avatar team to be simply evolutionary nature. The trees, plants and humanoids(?) evolved together to be able to communicate. They thought it was their god when in fact it was the natural world that they were plugged into.

It says a lot about real human religion: explain things you cannot understand. I can't wait for the sequel in which he'll surely show what comes next: control of the faithful by taking over the created religion by an elite (male?) few.

I wonder if he'll choose child rape, demonization of women, killing scientists, burning non believers or callous overpopulation of the planet via arcane reproductive rules to make his point?

Posted by: Dave | Mar 25, 2010 10:27:39 AM

22. ---Cameron's NO AntiChrist. He's too busy
    being a mercenary sellout and suck up to the
    most awesomely genocidal regime in history
    ---ACROSS the Pacific to be a REAL AntiChrist.

------------------LOL

Posted by: Pilgrim 10 | Mar 26, 2010 12:11:55 AM

23. Not for nothing no offense to any Mormons out there but, Mormonism isn't even a real religion; pedal your hatred elsewhere Glen!

Posted by: Jeff Dunivant | Apr 11, 2010 5:24:08 AM