Harvey Milk | Josh Brolin | News

BigGayDeal.com

Josh Brolin on Playing Dan White in Milk

Brolin

In the New York Times 'T' fashion magazine out this weekend, Josh Brolin discusses his movie roles in one of Lynn Hirschberg's 'Screen Tests'.

Brolin talks of playing Dan White in Milk: "To me, when I look at a character, what makes it interesting for me is: What’s the redeeming value of who the person is, and how far did they have to jump to do the awful thing that they’ve done? I’d heard the confession of Dan White, and a very revealing thing for me was, he kept saying — this was an hour and a half after after he killed Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone. His fingertips were very hot. He remembers, from one shooting to the other, from walking across the City Hall, from Moscone's office to Harvey's office,  that his fingertips were, uh, hot. I thought that was an interesting thing...I don’t like killing, as an actor. When I shot Sean Penn’s character in 'Milk,' there was a lot of joking going on at the moment because we couldn’t deal with the intensity of it. I would much rather be the person dying than the person killing."

Check out Brolin's "T" magazine cover shot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Brolin2

Screen Test video here.

Comments

1. I loved Josh in Flirting With Disaster, one of the best movies of the 90's. Go, David O.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 12, 2010 8:09:18 PM

2. Ever since Flirting With Disaster, with his pierced nipples, the man reeks of sex.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 12, 2010 9:22:11 PM

3. My god. He looks more and more like his father every time I see him! For a split second I thought that picture was James Brolin.

Posted by: Scot | Mar 12, 2010 10:30:16 PM

4. lol...and that character's armpit devotion....!

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 12, 2010 10:31:21 PM

5. WOW.... Barbra Streisand's step son is HOT HOT HOT. Josh is a good man and an excellent actor. He will win an Oscar in the coming years. If Barbra ever directs "The Normal Heart" he should be on of the leads along with Bradley Cooper and Gerard Butler. Rumor has it that Larry Kramer is holding out for more money...

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Mar 12, 2010 11:06:14 PM

6. Joking during the re-creation of the assassination of Harvey Milk? Are you serious? Wow.

Posted by: B | Mar 12, 2010 11:24:57 PM

7. Hey, if you think that's bad...you should have seen the outtakes during schindler's list. My dog...it's a miracle anyone could keep a straight face!

He'll forever remain a Goonie to me.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 12, 2010 11:50:16 PM

8. "Joking during the re-creation of the assassination of Harvey Milk?"

I can totally understand that. You have to joke to get through some situations. When my husband and I were choosing his father's coffin, we said some pretty weird things. We both finally broke up when we realized I was trying to pick a coffin that went well with his father's suit. We figured that was about as gay as I could get.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 13, 2010 3:04:46 AM

9. Before we start throwing around phrases like "he's a good man", let's not forget that he was once arrested for beating the shit out of Annette Bening.

Posted by: Rodney | Mar 13, 2010 1:19:04 PM

10. Sorry, Diane Lane - not Benning.

Posted by: Rodney | Mar 13, 2010 6:54:34 PM

11. Don't know Brolin or Lane, but they are still married after 6 years, maybe you know something we don't.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 14, 2010 3:19:37 AM

12. Diane Lane never pressed charges and said it was a misunderstanding. They're still married.

Posted by: Laurie | Mar 15, 2010 12:42:57 PM