Marie Osmond | Mormon | Roseanne Barr

Roseanne Doesn't Hold Back On The Mormon Church

Roseanne Roseanne has taken to her blog to blame both the Mormon Church and Marie Osmond for the suicide of Osmond's son. In a post titled "Marie osmonds poor gay son killed himself" Roseanne proceeds to explain why the teenager, who had been reportedly fighting depression, took his own life last week. She continues:

"because he had been told how wrong and how sick he was every day of his life by his church and the people in it. Calling that "depression" is a lie!

Yet the Osmonds still talk lovingly about their church, saying nothing about its extremely anti-gay Crusade. Marie also has a gay daughter! Hey, I want her and all the gay kids in the world to know that they are just fine being gay and that they deserve love and respect instead of insults and rebuke! I have gay people in my family and my circle of friends and I am kicking bigot ass and taking names!"

Comments

1. I love Roseanne.

While the Osmond family hasn't made any statements about the son and his sexuality (I believe it's all from anonymous sources, so far), I find it difficult to sympathize with people who want to keep their church and yet choose to differ in certain theological terms.

You can't say you love your gay daughter but consider yourself a devout member of the LDS church. You can love your daughter and consider yourself a DEFIANT member of the Mormon church, however. And if that's the case, then what's the point?

Posted by: Duvalin | Mar 5, 2010 10:00:12 PM

2. You go girl.

I think we're ready for a Roseanne revival, eh?

Posted by: Jasun | Mar 5, 2010 10:08:28 PM

3. Uhhh....if it is known that Marie's son is gay, don't you think Marie's lesbian daughter would have spoken about it already? (And besides we all know Marie's daughter is gay...I think she came out publicly some time ago.) But, she hadn't said anything about it, and and whether he was gay or not is yet to be proved. Rosanne should have made sure she got the facts right.

Posted by: Tami | Mar 5, 2010 10:11:15 PM

4. Roseanne's post is gratuitously vicious. It is beyond despicable to attack a parent who has just lost a child.

I'm no fan of Osmonds and hold the Mormon and Catholic churches in equal contempt. But Marie Osmond has been publicly supportive of her openly lesbian daughter and I don't doubt that if her son was gay, she would have been accepting of him too.

My own mother is a devout Catholic, but she has always been loving and supportive. She has challenged homophobic remarks in her bible study group and generally ignores the Vatican's ridiculous statements on homosexuality. So I can readily understand Marie Osmond loving her faith and her children equally. In this case it's not hypocritical, it's simply human.

For pity sake, leave the poor woman to mourn in peace.

Posted by: Smartypants | Mar 5, 2010 10:16:42 PM

5. @smartypants: I guess this is the truth of life in the 21st Century: you can't be Marie Osmond, a loving mother, a grieving parent, or faithful member of your church all at the same time.

Truth is, if you have any fame at all nowadays, then you automatically have a platform. If you have admittedly gay children whom you have publicly accepted, then that platform is already established for you by many in society. It no longer becomes an issue whether her son was gay, but that she has accepted one child publicly, and the other (for whatever reason) has fallen. Trouble is, she is still on that platform regardless. It is a pity!

Posted by: Scooter | Mar 5, 2010 10:39:15 PM

6. Roseanne either means well or is bat-shit insane. She's so unpredictable that I seriously can't figure out which it is.

Posted by: Drew | Mar 5, 2010 11:27:15 PM

7. If one were to remove the all the accurate information, sanity, and taste from "The National Enquirer," Ms. Barr's blog would be the result.

Shame on your, TR, for quoting this slovenly lunatic's opinion on anything at all. Is there no depth to which you won't stoop in your search for more and better ways for us all to regard ourselves as victims?

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 5, 2010 11:31:19 PM

8. Tell it, Rosanne! Sure, Marie lost a child and should be given space to grieve. The Mormon Cult, however, is another story. I'm sure there are folks from UT that can tell you first hand that if you oppose "The Church" in any way that your magic panties will be yanked and you will be "shunned." And if you saw that show that is one long "Ancestry.com" commercial, do not give them money. It's a Mormon enterprise.

Posted by: everette | Mar 5, 2010 11:43:36 PM

9. Roseanne = trash. Full stop.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 5, 2010 11:49:37 PM

10. Awesome! Good for Roseanne. You can't fault her for lyin', so something else irrelevant to the post to criticize her on...

The mormon church needs to be taken down.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 5, 2010 11:52:00 PM

11. Roseanne doesn't know what she's talking about and should mind her own business. She's such an ignorant fat cunt.

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Mar 5, 2010 11:52:11 PM

12. How quickly so many have forgotten how Marie has been supportive of her lesbian daughter. This is a very sad situation and Roseanne is just a fucking cunt.

Posted by: B | Mar 6, 2010 12:22:41 AM

13. it's a little strong to call roseanne a cunt. although i take exception to her laying blame on marie osmond while she is grieving, it's important to be aware that roseanne had the misfortune to grow up in utah as a jew. she knows first hand how the LDS treats outsiders and the truly dreadful things it's done to its gay members over the years.

she knows what she's talking about.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 6, 2010 12:27:05 AM

14. BTW, the youtube link in my above comment is Marie speaking about her daughter and how her daughter deserves all civil rights.

Posted by: B | Mar 6, 2010 12:29:02 AM

15. Go Roseanne! You've annoyed the weird conservative gays on this website!!

Oh, and I agree with you but hey, I don't think anyone cares. Celebs are invinicible and far better then any humans could be. Truly...

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 6, 2010 12:30:38 AM

16. Roseanne, I love you.
    I have always and will always love your big fat (but not ignorant) cunt.
    Don't ever stop.

Posted by: Rey | Mar 6, 2010 12:35:22 AM

17. Interesting string of comments, almost pro then con in alternating order. That demonstrates, at least anecdotally, Roseanne is neither 100% wrong or right here. Like just about everything, it's a matter of perception.

Personally, I find it in bad taste to attack a grieving mother. But it's also true Marie Osmond has only herself to blame for becoming a public figure.

I don't know enough about the situation, particularly whether the son was gay and, if so, if that was an element of his tragic troubles.

But if those things are true, I agree with Roseanne that Marie Osmond has a singular opportunity here ... and she should be reminded of it now, when it counts - though perhaps a bit more tactfully than Roseanne is known for.

Still, I've always admired Roseann's no-shit style. If she's not gonna pull any punches in this situation, then I hope she's damn sure got her facts straight ... (um, ya know, about the gay).

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 6, 2010 12:41:21 AM

18. Well guess what I did? I was in Texas for the holidays visiting my mom. I was in her front yard talking on the cell phone with a friend from New York. I told him, wait a second, I see 2 young guys with black pants and white shirts walking around my mom's neighborhood. I think I know who they are. If they come to me when I am on the phone, they are going to get a piece of my mind.

Well they did come up to me! I innocently asked them "are you guys Mormons". They smiled and said "yes" and thought I was happy to see them. They enthusiastically smiled and were ready to start their talk - but I interrupted them by asking:

"You guys are the Mormons? How dare you guys go to California and mess in other people's lives with Prop H8! You guys don't have God in you lives. You guys don't have Christ in your lives either! How dare you guys go to another state and mess up with other people's lives. God and Jesus would be so ashamed of you guys!"

They tried to get a word in edge wise, but I would not even acknowledge what they were saying. I continued ...

"How dare you come to my house after all the hate you people throw to others! Get off my property! I don't want people like you with so much hate in your heart on my property. You don't have God! You don't have Christ! Your so called "religion" has nothing to do with God and Love since you all have so much hate."

One said "some of my friends are gay"

I ignored him and again refused to acknowledge anything he said.

I continued "how dare you guys come to my house when you have shown so much hate toward others! Off my property!!! God would bee so ashamed of you people. Out of my property or I will call the police!"

They finally left (with tale between their legs).

IF FELT GOOD TO TELL THEM OFF! :-)

And I am so glad Roseanne is telling it how it is.
    As a friend told me, more people need to stand up to the Mormon H8 cult.

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 6, 2010 1:15:53 AM

19. Mormons = freaky church.
    Mormon followers = freaky people.
    Osmonds = Mormon Church.
    Osmonds = Freaky Mormon people.

I once dated a gay Mormon boy...Boy was he screwed up...and not the way he wanted to be...the weird undies...hotness...but freaky!

Confused people...so sad...

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Mar 6, 2010 1:31:33 AM

20. Have you guys noted how there is no mention of her daughter or her son being gay on her Wikipedia page? Not even in the entry for Michael's suicide.

Posted by: Gast | Mar 6, 2010 1:50:10 AM

21. I love you, Roseanne, I couldn't agree with you more. Turns my stomach how people pick and choose what they practice from their religions, if you're a member of the club, you represent and stand for what the fucking club represents and stands for.

Posted by: Miaulement | Mar 6, 2010 1:55:18 AM

22. really fucked up that anyone feels thay have the right to out this sad dead boy. how is anyone so sure he was gay. just because you were a depressed gay teen from a religious family does not mean he was. truly disturbing that we hide behind screen names to comment viciously about people we had never heard of a week ago.

Posted by: Rikard | Mar 6, 2010 1:56:22 AM

23. Rosanne is fabulous. Funny how there are so many apologists for conservatives for religious nutbags on this site. Unless they are trolls.

Posted by: zeddy | Mar 6, 2010 3:44:29 AM

24. Rosanne Rocks! She understands. That's it. Thank you Rosanne.

Posted by: Ted | Mar 6, 2010 7:45:18 AM

25. Roseanne may have gone a bit too far. Tough. That is just the way she is. Theology and public figures = Public adoration, hatred, scorn, love and any other emotion one can express when it comes to religion. Marie Osmond has to take it on the chin. I'll say it again; The U.S. is a Republic, not a Theocracy. Anyone that would choose religion over a child is f*cking crazy. I don't think that is what Marie has done but who really knows the full story?

Posted by: NancyBoyDrew | Mar 6, 2010 8:12:42 AM