Cynthia Nixon | Gay Marriage | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Cynthia Nixon Fights Back Against Anti-Gay NY Senators

Cynthia Nixon has recorded a video in support of Fight Back NY, the new PAC targeting New York state senator Hiram Monserrate and others who voted against marriage equality in the Empire State.

Nixon Says Nixon in the spot: "I am a lifelong New Yorker but I don't have the rights that most of my friends and neighbors do. I'm engaged to the woman I love, but on December 2, the New York State Senate voted against my right to marry her. Last year prior to the vote, so many of us went up to Albany to speak with our state senators about why marriage equality is so important to us and to our families. They didn't get the message. They still think that it's okay to treat me and hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers like second-class citizens. I'm not okay with that. That's why I've decided to fight back. I'm supporting Fight Back New York so that we can finally show these anti-equality state senators that there are consequences to their actions - that they can lose their seats for voting against our rights. Fight Back New York is a smart, strategic political action committee, with the sole purpose of defeating senators who voted 'no' on equality. Join me and fight back. Sign up and donate today at fightbackpac.com. One hundred percent of every dollar that you contribute will go directly toward taking anti-equality senators out of office. We've tried the carrot, now it's time for the stick. It's time for anyone who believes in equality to fight back."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, Fight Back NY tells Towleroad that its fourth piece of mail is hitting mailboxes in Hiram Monserrate's district now. Monserrate has been using attacks against gay people as his primary campaign tactic.

Comments

1. Thank you, Cynthia Nixon!!! (Now...why haven't we seen more spots like this from gay--and straight--celebs in New York?)

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 10, 2010 1:34:02 PM

2. Once again, Ms. Nixon comes through!

Thank you!

She and I were friends in high school and she was a class act then too.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 10, 2010 1:55:57 PM

3. Great post and great comment! My sentiments exactly. We need all the very famous gays out there, that mainstream audiences love (Ellen, Elton, etc, to come out and demand the same rights that everyone else enjoys.

Posted by: nick | Mar 10, 2010 2:10:36 PM

4. You go girl! May many more follow her example.

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 10, 2010 2:53:21 PM

5. With technology I don't think we need representatives anymore. We should be able to vote from home on everything we want or don't want. All of those turds should go. They've done NOTHING that I agree with. ARGH!

Grown individuals should not need permission from the State to get married, to have children, to own a dog...whatever.

I'm a hettie, but I voted for gay marriage and campaigned for it because I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a taxpayer can't use whatever government services they choose.

Either you guys should have the ability to get married or they should give you a tax break.

Posted by: Rinnie | Mar 10, 2010 6:50:21 PM

6. My admiration for Cynthia Nixon flourishes. I am joining, contributing and supporting the efforts of Nixon and her allies.

New York City is the foremost cultural center of the United States and marriage equality there will influence the nation.

Posted by: Steve Cruz | Mar 10, 2010 7:54:13 PM

7. Wowza that gave me goosebumps! I want to give her a big hug! Love her and I'm donating to cause.

Posted by: daws | Mar 10, 2010 8:18:04 PM

8. Hiram M was expelled by the senate on Feb 9th. and from what i read about him, he's a real CAD! and he was DEMOCRAT! i had to research who he was and WIKI would not really post what his political party was until i had to find it on the lower bottom section of his page... i am not a democrat and it bugs me when i hear the liberal media or news papers or websites claim that Democrats are more supportive of the gay community than any other political party. so this proves my point. and i love Cynthia Nixon!

Posted by: mez | Mar 11, 2010 12:26:48 PM

9. I'm glad Cynthia told the truth about the "carrot" of lobbying - it doesn't work.

We'll learn soon that Tim Gill's attack Ads don't work either. Monster-ette didn't have a chance before the Campaign, now he might win. The Churches are rallying to support the guy that's being attacked by the homosexuals. We've made him viable again. Big mistake.

Indifference is much more effective than expressions of anger or attempts at revenge. This will teach us a lesson.

Posted by: AndrewW | Mar 11, 2010 3:53:38 PM

10. Andrew, you are wrong. We have to take a step out of this fear.

Posted by: Tom Nunnery | Oct 11, 2010 6:27:49 PM