Gay Pride | Jamaica | News

Anti-Gay Mobs Nowhere to Be Seen at Jamaica's First Pride

Jamaicapride

When you think that homophobic mob attacks have occurred in Jamaica's not-so-distant past when known gay people were spotted in public, it's pretty astonishing to actually see what's being called Jamaica's first Gay Pride march.

UK Gay News reports: "Officially, it was the Walk for Tolerance from Howard Cooke Park, along Howard Cooke Boulevard and ending on the beach. 'Yesterday was an amazing day, here in Montego Bay,' he told UK Gay News. 'My eyes well up at the very thought of the day's outstanding and astounding success.' Encouragingly, the walk had police support, Mr. Urich added. Around 100 took part in the walk, which was headed by Reverend Elder Nancy L. Wilson, the openly lesbian presiding bishop of the International Movement of Metropolitan Community Churches. One participant commented: 'I never thought I would live to see the day that this could happen in Jamaica.'"

Comments

1. Wow! Hallelujah!

A huge congratulations to every fan of tolerance on that island.

Posted by: JeffRob | Apr 8, 2010 12:01:13 PM

2. have to commend those courageous people :)

Posted by: steve | Apr 8, 2010 12:09:27 PM

3. That's awesome! Congratulations Jamaica!

Posted by: jmattstt78 | Apr 8, 2010 12:27:13 PM

4. While I commend these brave people, I have been to Montego Bay and will never step foot in Jamaica again. In 1987 I went down with my lover and we stayed at a resort. We got in and crashed and missed dinner so we asked where we could find a place for a bite to eat.

We did not stray far because a car followed us taunting us with calls of 'white boys, where you going'. Doing our best to ignore them we walked a bit slower but they circled around and when they caught up threw dead rats at us. Charming. I don't think it was a gay thing, because the next day we went into town and most of the locals were more than rude, down right hostile.

We both have traveled all over the world, and I have never seen such behavior, then again I have not been to either Iraq or Iran. I have many friends, straight and gay, who had similar experiences. My only friends who like it say they never leave the resort. If that is the case I'd rather go to Key West or many of the great places here at home.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 8, 2010 12:59:38 PM

5. Delighted to see this march taking place.

But it's really tone-deaf for that white guy with the InterPride sign to be marching right up front. One of the biggest obstacles to securing LGBT rights in many underdeveloped countries is the common notion that homosexuality is a foreign concept foisted on unsuspecting natives by Western colonial rulers.

While I'm sure that man's intentions are good, his high visibility only makes it more difficult for Jamaican gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgenders to achieve their goals.

Posted by: 24play | Apr 8, 2010 1:12:44 PM

6. umm how come i didnt know of this?!!well its a step!!

Posted by: sal(yes the original) | Apr 8, 2010 2:25:03 PM

7. Kudos to our Jamaican brothers and sisters. May there be 500 who march next year!

Posted by: Perry | Apr 8, 2010 5:10:53 PM

8. 24Play, that was exactly my second thought after thinking how courageous this action was.

The most important thing about being an effective activist is being an informed activist.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 8, 2010 6:19:25 PM

9. Infos and remainders had been circulating for weeks.I know JFLAG & women4women did they part in getting the info out. Also sites like downelink had it posted

Posted by: Teshna | Apr 9, 2010 12:58:10 AM

10. What some of you are missing is the fact that it took a riot for the United States to wake up! this is actually a good thing for Jamacia! I also need to say that no one "foisted homosexuality on to unxexpected natives" when it was the Western Europeans who brought the Africans to the Caribean as slaves! Homosexuality wasn't new to any area of the world! People just repressed it!

Posted by: irishtxn | Apr 9, 2010 10:14:27 AM

11. Good News!! BTW, Where are the religious leaders praising acceptance? Oh I forgot, they want us divided so they can line their pockets with homophobic dollars from the scared sheeple !!

Posted by: ty | Apr 9, 2010 12:50:30 PM

12. This will be but an empty gesture if the human rights community does not bear down relentlessly on Jamaica's culture of ignorance and barbarity against its LGBT citizens. Rev. Wilson would've been better off leading a church service than a Gay Pride march; frankly, I fear for those Jamaicans who took part after she leaves the island.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Apr 9, 2010 1:25:34 PM

13. The same hosted in kingston on april 23, but we must remember the safety of those we leave behin. The greatest 2 moves ever happen to jamaica since slavery abolish

Posted by: empress | May 17, 2010 9:59:56 PM