Arizona | Immigration | News

Arizona Set to Enact Country's Toughest Immigration Law

Arizona's House yesterday voted 35-21 to approve a restrictive immigration bill that has already been passed by the state senate, sending it to Governor Jan Brewer for her signature, the L.A. Times reports:

Brewer"Immigrant rights groups were horrified, and contended that Arizona would be transformed into a police state. 'It's beyond the pale,' said Chris Newman, legal director of the National Day Laborer Organizing Network. 'It appears to mandate racial profiling.' The bill, known as SB 1070, makes it a misdemeanor to lack proper immigration paperwork in Arizona. It also requires police officers, if they form a 'reasonable suspicion' that someone is an illegal immigrant, to determine the person's immigration status. Currently, officers can inquire about someone's immigration status only if the person is a suspect in another crime. The bill allows officers to avoid the immigration issue if it would be impractical or hinder another investigation. Citizens can sue to compel police agencies to comply with the law, and no city or agency can formulate a policy directing its workers to ignore the law -- a provision that advocates say prevents so-called sanctuary orders that police not inquire about people's immigration status. The bill cements the position of Arizona, whose border with Mexico is the most popular point of entry for illegal immigrants into this country, as the state most aggressively using its own laws to fight illegal immigration."

Comments

1. Odd that the MCSO never hits up my foreign self for my papers. Oh wait, I'm white and have no discernable accent.

Posted by: DN | Apr 14, 2010 9:05:32 AM

2. Sheriff Joe already does all these things in the Phoenix area. I guess the bill is just an attempt to protect him from federal investigators.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 14, 2010 9:21:25 AM

3. I don't see how you can be suspicious of someone being illegal. I am all for the previous law of checking immigration status if you commit a crime. While it is true that illegal immigrants do cause a bit of crime in this area a vast majority are just trying to make a better life. What we really need is immigration reform such as day laborer work passes, etc. to help them become citizens.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 14, 2010 9:33:04 AM

4. Until we get decent immigration reform, I don't have much of a problem with this. It surprises even me to write that, but I believe it's true. We have every right to control our borders and to try to remove people in this country illegally.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 14, 2010 9:38:31 AM

5. When did Sue Sylvester become governor of Arizona?

Posted by: PhilW | Apr 14, 2010 9:39:39 AM

6. "I don't see how you can be suspicious of someone being illegal."

Uh, because they're brown and speak with a Spanish accent. This bill just legalizes racial profiling.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 14, 2010 10:05:03 AM

7. @ PhilW, "When did Sue Sylvester become governor of Arizona?"

Hilarious, my thought exactly!

Posted by: RONTEX | Apr 14, 2010 10:41:00 AM

8. F the US. Big Time. i really hate the USA. Mexico is no better. But everything is possible in my country. The Law is flexible, gays are kind of understood. Here everything is radical, everything is war, god is white and speaks English and the rest of the world can f. it. Im here because i fall in love with an american citizen but everyday I get clear signals like this one that screams: You are not welcome here, you cant get married here, you are not supposed to be in a binational gay relationship.

Posted by: Pedro | Apr 14, 2010 10:42:26 AM

9. I had hopes for Arizona for a while. But unfortunately it has taken a dramatic hate-filled rightwing turn for the worst. Not only for its anti-immigrant crusades but for its anti-gay crusades as well. I was in a binational relationship as well and know how difficult it is living with a hostile government that hates each partner but for different reasons.

Posted by: niles | Apr 14, 2010 10:51:28 AM

10. I lived in Phoenix in 2003, and the anti-immigrant (Mexican) sentiment is everywhere. One woman wrote a letter to the newspaper saying she was outraged because of a McDonald's billboard that was written in Spanish. Talk about overreacting. Hope the ACLU fights back on this one.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 14, 2010 11:01:12 AM

11. Oh for crying out loud, they are here ILLEGALLY. If our laws mean anything, send them home. They are keeping wages low so that working families suffer, they get exploited totally, and they make a mockery of the existing system. Arizona is doing nothing wrong.

PS I have a friend who tried to emigrate to the USA from Canada legally, and got nothing but legal bills and an order to go back to where he came from. Illegals are line-skippers. I have no sympathy for them.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 14, 2010 11:08:15 AM

12. Illegal immigration should be stopped. I see no reason that the USA should have an open border with Mexico. It's bad for both countries. Mexico needs to take care of its people. All illegal immigration should be stopped. Polish, Irish, Mexican, Chinese etc. Just because someone is not white does not give them the excuse of racism and being above the law. Additionally, if one is from Mexico and is of Spanish descent, are you not essentially Western European/White? I'm sick of everyone screaming "racism!!!" when it comes to enforcing our immigration laws.

Posted by: busytimmy | Apr 14, 2010 11:16:11 AM

13. Shove it up your xenophobic ass, Dan. The problem with this law is that Sheriff Joe and his posse can harass American citizens and immigrants who ARE here legally. It means that everyone must carry proof of citizenship at all times or risk being detained. This law impacts more American citizens than it does illegal immigrants.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 14, 2010 11:17:53 AM

14. Regardless of what you think about illegals, here's the problem. Who's next?

The Teabaggers complain about Government intervention and here is a horrible case of Government going all Big Brother and they are cheering. By my reading, anyone Brown can just be swept up for no reason. This could just as easily be applied in Miami where there are a lot of Haitians, and Black people. Or, how about West Hollywood where a huge % of the Russians are not exactly here legally. And any city with a Chinatown is full of illegals as well, which means Asians can be dragged off the streets.

Slippery slope people.

"...then they came for the Jews and I didn't care because I was not a Jew...then, they came for me."

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 14, 2010 11:20:03 AM

15. Just wait until you fall for a really hot Mexican or European man. Then you'll learn first hand that the door to legal immigration into the USA has been closed for decades.

And by the way your little gay self and your gay foreign national boyfriend will have to wait at the very back of the goddamned line because you two are REALLY out of luck when it comes to immigration.

Giving cops the authority to arrest and deport the undocumented is dangerous and stupid. They're not trained to do it and they will lose any sympathy they had in the undocumented communities they are paid to police.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Apr 14, 2010 11:31:27 AM

16. Has anyone here heard of due process? Illegal or not, if they are in the United States, the Constitution requires they have due process. Racial profiling is unconstitutional, so I can't wait to see what happens with this in the courts.

Ridiculous.

Posted by: BD | Apr 14, 2010 11:51:45 AM

17. Punish the victim, the GOP have no shame. We don’t have an illegal immigration problem in this country; we have an illegal employer problem. Employers know full well when they are employing an undocumented worker; those employers need to be held criminally liable for hiring and underpaying undocumented workers rather than Americans at a living wage.

Posted by: Dave | Apr 14, 2010 12:36:33 PM

18. I have mixed feeling about this - being an Arizona resident.

1. I do like this because it's an effective way of detecting illegal immigrants.

2. I don't like this because it's not afforded to EVERYONE that is pulled over. In other words every person, every time, under every circumstance should be obligated to show proof of ID/immigration and it be thoroughly checked right then and there. If you forgot your wallet, to bad, go to jail until someone can bring it with proper ID.

4. This process alone will have police so bogged down with processing time and paperwork just to give someone a ticket for having a broken tail light.

3. I don't like it because profiling is going to be an issue. God forbid anyone look too brown and drive a not-so-good looking car. You're f'd.

Just from the list above my cons seem to outweigh the pros but this is Arizona and the climate is perfect for this legislation to pass through quickly since an Arizona ranches who was murdered last week by SUSPECTED drug cartels or border crossers the mob mentality is growing.

I was watching the news last night about this and they read some comments about this from watchers. One actaully said; Good, that should take care of the Mexican problem. That shows the mentality currently going on.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Apr 14, 2010 1:33:00 PM

19. Should we just enact Pass Laws too, so we can monitor where these people move?

Posted by: J.D. | Apr 14, 2010 2:16:06 PM

20. I see nothing wrong with this bill. It certainly doesn't mandate racial profiling. I lived (legally) as an immigrant in a southern border state, and the illegal situation is out of control. I applaud Arizona for taking what little action they can to do something about it.

If you won't even obey a country's laws about whether you should even be there, you get zero sympathy from me.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 14, 2010 3:50:47 PM

21. Really, Derek? Are you comparing this to the holocaust? Are you out of your goddamn mind? Someone needs to give you a slap upside the head.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 14, 2010 4:27:36 PM

22. @TANK: You're a reactionary idiot.

First they came ..." is a popular poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. In Niemöller's first utterance of it, in a January 6, 1946 speech before representatives of the Confessing Church in Frankfurt, it went (in German):[1]

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up."

It's called paraphrasing you kneejerking Troll.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 14, 2010 5:11:31 PM

23. So in other words, yes...you are. Talk about a faulty comparison. WOW...offensive, too. How can anyone take you seriously?

Posted by: TANK | Apr 14, 2010 5:15:34 PM

24. @TANK: Oh never mind...

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 14, 2010 8:04:08 PM

25. Oh, you didn't think I knew where the quote came from? LMAO! And now you deny such a comparison? And you call me knee jerk, jerk? The irony is crippling.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 14, 2010 8:11:49 PM