Bullying | Colin Farrell | Ireland | News

Colin Farrell Speaks Out Against Homophobic Bullying

Farrells

Colin Farrell this week released a statement in support of of BeLonG To Youth Service’s STAND UP! Campaign, an anti-bullying campaign in Ireland, and spoke about the abuse endured by his gay brother Eamon (above).

Farrell's statement:

"I can't remember much about the years of physical and emotional abuse my brother Eamon suffered. I was very small. The thing i do remember though, quite literally, is blood on his school shirt when he came home in the afternoon. The beatings and taunting were very frequent for my him and a constant part of his school years. I didn't understand at that time the concept of 'difference'. Back then, as now, he was just my big brother. If I did understand what difference was I understood it in the most pure and unaffected childlike way. To me then, as a child, difference meant being left out. Joy and laughter came with being included, being embraced, and BELONGING to.

Colin

People are often afraid of difference. They feel that anything that causes fear, should be turned away from. My brother represented fear for so many people, but caused joy in my life. From a very young age he made me laugh with his intelligence and wit, made me aspire to his strength and goodness. He was to be embraced. To many of the students of his school however he was to be feared. He was to be turned away from. I didn't understand it then, and I still don't know. As a race we humans are united and divided by emotions. The mother and father of all emotions, the queen and king are love and fear. Love unites, it brings us closer to an understanding of the possibility of beauty amidst all the confusion and pain that life can bring. Hate is a disease. It is fear's messenger and it makes us do terrible things in a shadow of our better selves, of what we could be.

Intolerance is not genetically encoded - it is taught. It is learned at home. It is learned in the classrooms and it is learned anywhere else we gather as a group. But it is usually learned early and added onto from there. If there is nothing to feared, there is nothing to hate. If there is nothing to hate there is no pain. My brother was so forceful in standing up for who he was, and for the good that he knew was inside of him. Many people missed out on an opportunity, not only to enjoy him, but to enjoy themselves by embracing his "difference". They missed out because they saw him as a threat - not as a testament to the kaleidoscope and diversity of this beautiful world. Bullying is torture, it is another betrayal of basic human decency and its scars reach way into the future of its survivors. But the saddest truth is that not all children survive it. It is a potentially fatal societal illness and must be respected and not feared. Respected and dealt with as a very real problem and as an adversary of a potentially harmonious world, that should have no place for bullies or bullying."

(via jmg)

Comments

1. Bravo.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 9, 2010 8:02:13 PM

2. That just brought me to tears.

Posted by: scar2 | Apr 9, 2010 8:27:35 PM

3. What's with the distorted pic? lol

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 9, 2010 9:15:07 PM

4. OMG, that was one of the most heartfelt things I have ever read. Colin Farrell is one amazing person!

Posted by: Mike | Apr 9, 2010 9:51:18 PM

5. Love this. Love him.

Posted by: ravewulf | Apr 9, 2010 10:48:06 PM

6. That was one of the few things on the internet that made me tear up.

Posted by: T.R | Apr 9, 2010 10:50:07 PM

7. I started to tear up and realized that accidentally sat on my balls. Anyway, while I wasn't choked up about it, it's not a bad gesture. Good thing his brother's a complete flamer, from what I can tell by the picture.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 9, 2010 11:08:52 PM

8. His bro has major gay face.

Posted by: AM | Apr 9, 2010 11:23:12 PM

9. TY Colin ! I've always loved your work -- and U ;.0 .. but you just sealed the deal buddy!

Posted by: Chapeau | Apr 10, 2010 1:59:02 AM

10. Thank you, Colin!

Posted by: Eugene | Apr 10, 2010 2:35:35 AM

11. Awesome. Good on Colin, and his brother too!

Posted by: wirrrn | Apr 10, 2010 4:11:28 AM

12. colin farrell, thnx buddy. my straight brother supports me, too.

Posted by: nic | Apr 10, 2010 8:09:59 AM

13. Colin made his statement in support of our STAND UP! LGBT Awareness Week for young people in Ireland. We are all so bowled over about it - Amazing!
    STAND UP! is a national campaign to combat homophobic bullying and to support friendships between LGBT young people and all young people. We're in the middle of it here and it's all going really well (you can follow it on our site www.belongto.org) x all at BeLonG To Youth Services.

Posted by: Michael at BeLonG To Youth Services, Ireland | Apr 10, 2010 8:12:02 AM

14. This is heart warming. Educated Irish are the best! The uneducated bullies and their families still need a lot of work!

Posted by: Rob Crowley | Apr 10, 2010 11:01:31 AM

15. I have loved his work since Tigerland. He is a great actor, and more important a great brother. Having my brothers at my back makes my journey so much easier.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 10, 2010 11:28:22 AM

16. Thank you, Colin. Thank you Michael (above). And thanks to all who are working on the STAND UP campaign!

Posted by: Happily Married | Apr 10, 2010 2:03:03 PM

17. very sweet, but why is Colin standing next to a wax figurine instead of his actual brother??

Posted by: Tom A. | Apr 10, 2010 5:10:26 PM

18. Thank you Collin Farrel for being so cool and sweet and speaking out, and excuse some of the gays here with their internalized homophobia directed at your brother. They are no better than the bullies you are helping fight in schools ,except that they are online and queens.

Posted by: Chad | Apr 10, 2010 6:59:35 PM

19. I guess, some of the queens here didn't take the time to understand what the man was trying to say and they had to come up with their catty and unnecessary comments. Proves that hate and stupidity are not only traits of the bigots. Who cares if the man looks like Queen Lattifah, everyone is worthy of respect. Who cares if the picture is not a Leibowitz.

Posted by: Milan | Apr 11, 2010 12:20:27 AM

20. Wow, that was beautiful.

Posted by: daws | Apr 11, 2010 9:44:46 AM

21. Eamonn has Gayface.

Posted by: MarkDC | Apr 11, 2010 1:42:25 PM

22. BROTHERHOOD IS POWERFUL! RIGHT ON!

Posted by: Sid | Apr 11, 2010 8:04:09 PM

23. I've always thought he was the hottest, but its great to know he has a beautiful soul as well. Thanks, Colin!

Posted by: Andy | Apr 12, 2010 4:50:07 AM

24. As a veteran (25 years and counting) public school teacher and administrator who never has hidden his sexual orientation, I'm very pleased that Colin Farrell came out so strongly against the bullying of LGBT kids. The sentiments he expresses apply equally to all victims of bullying. You know, we DON'T need weeks and months of training on how to stop bullying in public and private schools. (I've been a classroom teacher of English, a middle school principal, a high school principal, Director of English and presently am Deputy Superintendent of one of the highest- achieving school districts in New York State and we ALWAYS have been able to deal with this effectively; I know what I'm talking about here.) We do not permit bullying. Educators who don't intervene and report bullying to administrators are not welcome in our district. I've fired a few myself. It's really pretty simple. Professional educators simply need to do their jobs. Period. And it doesn't matter how "gay" Colin's brother looks, either. Ad hominem attacks on Eamon for his appearance reflect only the ignorance and homophobia of the posters. If those a people want to show the world what assholes they are, who are we to stop them?

Posted by: Doctor Joey | Apr 12, 2010 7:50:33 PM

25. Colin Farrell's role in "A Home at the End of the World" remains one of the best GLBT film portrayals I've ever seen; and he is so stunningly beautiful in that movie that I am still in awe of it.

Posted by: hephaestion | May 12, 2010 10:54:44 PM