Don't Ask, Don't Tell | John McCain | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

PHOTO: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Sit-In Underway at McCain's Office

Mccainsit

A sit-in is underway at Senator John McCain's office in Phoenix, Arizona. Protesters are urging people to call his office to urge repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". (via twitter, below)

It appears the sit-in is being undertaken by Phoenix group H.E.R.O. (Human and Equal rights Organizers) Photo above via H.E.R.O.'s Facebook group. More photos here...

Participants include Allen Howard, a Coast Guard Drill Sergeant discharged under DADT...

H.E.R.O. reportedly has a rally planned at McCain's office at 5 pm as a follow-up to today's sit-in.

UPDATE: The activists have reportedly been arrested, cited, and released.

Will update as any details come in...

Sitin

Mccain

Comments

1. So awesome. I hope they hit the six dems we need to lobby as well.

Also, anyone see a donate link on their site? I'm sure they need financial support and I would love to help them.

Posted by: Cory | Apr 26, 2010 3:17:29 PM

2. I wonder if Barney Frank will be upset?

Posted by: John Normile | Apr 26, 2010 3:25:20 PM

3. Good for them!

Hope none of the "Mexican lookin" have their "papers" sinc they are in Naziona.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Apr 26, 2010 3:29:14 PM

4. Cool! Go Get Equal!!!!

Just phoned the senator’s office and told the staff member who answered that I was calling to urge the senator to vote for repeal this year on “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”, and to support the addition of the repeal to the Department of Defense Authorization bill that comes up for a vote at the beginning of May. (She was very polite, by the way, and asked only for my zip code).

Would’ve left a voicemail as well, but the senator’s mailbox is full. Hopefully that means a lot of folks are following Get Equal’s lead...

Posted by: ichabod | Apr 26, 2010 3:35:58 PM

5. Some of us have been doing a call in in support of these individuals. McCain is in DC s the two primary offices of focus are the Phoenix and DC office.
    Phoenix Office:5353 North 16th Street
    Fax: (520) 670-6637
    Washington Office:241 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Main: (202) 224-2235
    Fax: (202) 228-2862

Posted by: Vito | Apr 26, 2010 3:39:03 PM

6. I live in Tucson. Is it advised that I call the Tucson office or would it be better for me to call Phoenix or DC?

Posted by: Jubal | Apr 26, 2010 4:16:19 PM

7. I'd say call whomever.

Posted by: Vito | Apr 26, 2010 4:56:38 PM

8. I don't think this is being done by GetEqual, though perhaps it is "inspired by." Although a sit-in cannot be attributed to any recent invention. ;-)

I hope there are plans afoot by HERO or GetEqual or anyone to put more pressure on the votes that are possible. McCain is a wonderful target - but despite his previous statements on the issue, I think the chances of his supporting DADT repeal now are the same as the proverbial snowball's in hell.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 26, 2010 5:03:36 PM

9. They were arrested about two hours ago. There is a rally tonight in Phoenix in support of the five arrested as well as Dan Choi and James Pietrangelo. All info is on Facebook for locals, check out H.E.R.O. Phoenix for details.

Posted by: JRWASU | Apr 26, 2010 5:03:56 PM

10. We called from Vegas to DC and Arizona and urged Senator McCain to change his mind.

I'm proud to see the pressure is being turned up. Go to their Facebook page and follow them on Twitter for updates.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 26, 2010 8:01:07 PM