Adam Lambert | AIDS/HIV | Bob McDonnell | California | Constance McMillen | Fire Island | Gay Seniors | Jane Fonda | Janice Dickinson | John Amaechi | Malawi | Martina Navratilova | News | Shepard Fairey | Space | Virginia

News: Martina Navratilova, Asteroid, Net Neutrality, Adam Lambert

Road Virginia Governor McDonnell ripped for celebrating Confederate History Month.

RoadMartina Navratilova diagnosed with breast cancer. Expected to make full recovery: "I cried. It knocked me on my ass, really. I feel so in control of my life and my body, and then this comes, and it's completely out of my hands."

BaldazzleRoadWould you "baldazzle" yourself? "Levine's latest work is a Swarovski crystal headpiece which he calls his best design yet -- and may give Jennifer Love Hewitt's vajazzle a run for its money. It includes 1,000 crystals that are painstakingly placed one by one onto his scalp."

RoadHe dreamed a dreamthe male, Taiwanese answer to Susan Boyle.

Road  Newly-discovered asteroid to pass close to Earth on Thursday.

RoadJanice Dickinson to OUT magazine: "The gays need more money. My gays need more money for AIDS and AIDS research. Elton John, pediatric AIDS -- we need to find a cure for AIDS. I’m obsessed. Here’s the deal: I love my daughter, she’s out there, Mother’s Day is coming, Mother’s Day to all you queers, but we need to find more money for AIDS. That is why I decided to do music -- to raise money for AIDS, more research, and the cure for fucking AIDS. Thank you."

RoadDiffering accounts of anti-gay hate crime complicate case of Brooklyn man who faces deportation.

RoadSt. Vincent's hospital in Manhattan to close. One of first hospitals with dedicated services for HIV/AIDS patients.

RoadFinal ruling in Malawi gay couple's case coming May 18: "The court is now awaiting written submissions from both prosecutors and defence lawyers for the two accused after the couple chose to remain silent. Khumbo Magwira a court official said the magistrate has warned the two parties that although he values the submissions, he will still make his ruling even in the absence of them."

RoadMTV casting for a new bunch of Jersey Shore Guidos.

Hope  RoadCourt rules against Shepard Fairey in AP "Hope" case: "U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein ruled in favor of The Associated Press in most of its requests for evidence, including when Fairey's lawyers first knew the AP had asserted that it holds the copyright to a photograph the image was based on. He said lawyers must disclose relevant documents that were deleted or destroyed from Fairey's files and when the deletions or destruction occurred.

RoadAdam Lambert to mentor American Idol contestants next week. Twitter: "Even though I'm just at the start of my recording career, I hope to lend some insight as one who's been thru the Idol adventure. Excited!!"

RoadUK conservative party leader David Cameron urged to explain party's stance on gay rights.

RoadJohn Amaechi slams Cameron: "As a black, gay man (amongst many other things) I was horrified that the only remotely brown face of Conservative power - and one ostensibly in charge of our societies ‘social action’ couldn’t even spit out words in support of equality. “I can only conclude, that should Cameron and his remarkably un-evolved group take power that LGBT people will be a big part of his ‘great ignored’."

RoadThose Hamms: Mad Men cast and crew perform Bye Bye Birdie.

DolceRoadHercules presents luscious slabs of Dolce & Gabbana (site nsfw).

RoadWinona Ryder's comeback begins again.

RoadConstance McMillen does come from the meanest town in Mississippi. Classmate: "IAHS is one of the top schools in the state and I’m proud of that, and I’m proud that we took a stand and just said you know what? forget it, we have just as much right as you do to have a party for ourselves. So we did, and now we’re getting flack because poor Connie’s ego got a bit of bruising. She’s playing the lesbian card to prove she ALWAYS gets what she wants. This time, we didn’t just let her."

RoadJane Fonda not proud of her plastic surgery.

RoadFCC loses big in net neutrality case: "The ruling basically tells the FCC that it has no authority to regulate the activities of internet service providers, just as the agency prepares to launch a nationwide broadband agenda."

RoadMore on Fire Island Pines and its new owners.

RoadSanta Rosa, California approves gay and lesbian retirement community: "Initially, there were accusations some of the opposition was fueled by homophobic opposition to a retirement community geared to gays and lesbians, accusations that eventually dissipated."

Comments

1. What in God's name was Janice Dickinson on when she gave that soundbyte...

Posted by: Randy | Apr 7, 2010 3:01:43 PM

2. I'm so tired of the annual "asteroid to make close fly-by of planet Earth" story.

A) It'll miss us, so they tell us.
    B) It'll hit us, but they say it'll miss us to avoid pandemonium.

Back to more important stories like that double-filet chicken sandwich from KFC.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 7, 2010 3:12:53 PM

3. Wait, he can sit still for 1,000 crystals but can't be bothered to do something about those enormous eyebrows?

Posted by: Jamie | Apr 7, 2010 3:31:29 PM

4. Being "one of the top schools in the state" of Mississippi....isn't that kind of like being (as John Stewart said) the thinnest kid at fat camp?

Posted by: txstevo | Apr 7, 2010 3:39:10 PM

5. Levine's latest work is a Swarovski crystal headpiece which he calls his best design yet-

I call this a vulgar display by someone with more money than sense. People are unemployed, lack health insurance, losing their homes and this dick-wad calls this art? And who gives a fuck about his enormous eyebrows? Puuuhhhleeezze

Posted by: alfredo zapata | Apr 7, 2010 3:39:32 PM

6. LOL @ Jamie !!!

Posted by: Curtis | Apr 7, 2010 4:05:16 PM

7. The Taiwanese kid singing Whitney is AMAZING! If only Whitney could sing like that now.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 7, 2010 6:08:59 PM

8. Okay, who's screwing someone from the Fire Island Pines group? Or, who wants some advertising moola?

I don't live on the East coast so I don't know how important FIP really is to you guys, but, this is starting to remind me of those posts on that Hotel in NYC not so long ago and the endless Bruno promos.

I'm having a hard tie believing that every breath those three take is a call for late breaking news. I'm not saying you guys can't post about what you want. I'm jes sayin'....

Question for someone not from the East coast, is Fire Island Pines really THAT important to you guys? I'm not bagging, I just don't know.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 7, 2010 6:17:28 PM

9. Well Derek I don't live on the east coast, but i saw a documentary on LOGO a awhile ago about Fire Island Pines. Seems that historically its an important gay vacation spot; I'm guessing one of the first in its time. It got a lot of bad press in the 80s and 90s because of the spread of HIV. A lot of the regulars passed away, but I'm sure that would be true of any gay local in the 80s.

On another note, that Dolce model is pure sex!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 7, 2010 6:50:51 PM

10. Derek : Historically it's important, I guess. But not really relevant anymore. Nature-wise, it's beautiful, and I guess it's a fun place to take a vacation, for a weekend or the summer, but it's just one of so many other places... I think that goofy Edge Boston site is run by some Boy in Bushwick blog guy who likes to laze around there all summer and calls himself a "journalist."

Posted by: JT | Apr 7, 2010 7:44:31 PM

11. RE: Itawamba HS student's comment...it seems over the past few years lots of people have basically asserted a "right to hate," or a "right to be mean," or a "right to spread disinformation" as all falling under the "right to free speech." I still need to work out the logic, but all those claims of "rights" just seem plain wrong.

Posted by: latebrosus | Apr 7, 2010 9:20:04 PM

12. And I used to wonder why the south was so solidly Republican ... I now know because no one with any sense of fairness and decency would want to live in that hell. Too bad that asteroid isn't going to hit there ...

****************************

As for Janice Dickinson, she's a spokesperson we "fucking" don't need.

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 8, 2010 4:01:58 AM

13. Oh, and oh yeah- on the Tiawanese talent show- anyone else having an epileptic fit from watching all that scrolling?

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 8, 2010 4:05:38 AM

14. the taiwanese kid sang better than whitney. the dolce model is beautiful. the IHAS "classmate" is lower than whale shit.

Posted by: nic | Apr 8, 2010 6:51:34 AM