Apple | Bobby Trendy | Daniel Craig | Jake Gyllenhaal | Kylie Minogue | Laguna Beach | Mississippi | Sarah Palin | Space | Stephen Hawking

News: Bareback Sex, Gay Dogs, Sarah Palin, Apple, Aliens

road Kylie Minogue's boyfriend's Andrés Velencoso is stripped bare for the cover of Vanity Fair Espana.

Boom  road Boom Boom Room Update: "Some residents in Laguna Beach are pushing for historic status for a building that for decades housed an iconic gay bar that they consider central to the city's history. The Boom Boom Room, they argue, is an important element of gay life that requires memorializing, a place where Rock Hudson for decades held court.

road Study by the New York City Department of Health: "Only 23 per cent of women required their male partners to use condoms during anal sex, compared with 61 per cent of gay or bisexual men."

road Not "gay enough" to work in an adult sex shop

road Gay dog, guide dog: What's the difference?

road Jake Gyllenhaal is looking a little pasty these days.

Daniel-craig-2xist-underwear-05 road Sarah Palin makes an unsuccessful attempt at humor during a speech in liberal Eugene, Oregon: “I eat granola. I eat a lot of organic food. I have to shoot and catch a lot of my organic food before I eat it."

road Gawker might be in trouble with the law for possession of a prototype of the new iPhone.

road Daniel Craig's underwear plays a game of peak-a-boo.

road Stephen Hawking thinks that aliens might be smarter than us: “I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive. Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”

road Gay surfers can stop surfing the net for a place "to meet and socialise online:" That place now exists.

road Tragic: Tornado rips through Mississippi killing 10.

road This is how Bobby Trendy dresses for an afternoon stroll in Beverly Hills.

Comments

1. You said:

Actually, the statement is both true on its facts and funny in its context.

Posted by: Actually, funny and true | Apr 25, 2010 2:06:07 AM

2. ^ Weird Repub troll alert

Posted by: Chris | Apr 25, 2010 10:18:43 AM

3. I love Stephen Hawking. He's the absolute definition of indomitable. Also, nice to see that he's remembering his Immanuel Kant! LOL

Posted by: romeo | Apr 25, 2010 11:19:28 AM

4. Jake looks fine, I'm sure all the bronzer from Prince of Persia is probably wearing off.

Posted by: Jay M | Apr 25, 2010 12:15:06 PM

5. Kant would say that that's meaningless to suspect. And moreso, Davidson would say failure of translation is failure of meaningfulness...and I'd agree. So much for conceptual relativism.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 25, 2010 1:39:24 PM

6. Daniel Craig - very hot, and I'd do him in a minute - but can anyone say "age appropriate"? Isn't the dangly belt and too-high tee just a little 20-something?

Posted by: steve | Apr 25, 2010 6:31:34 PM

7. The story about Sarah Palin and David Kernell this week is much more interesting. In some shots Kernell is a cutie, in a pretty-boy way, but he's really a jerk. I'm no fan of Palin, but I'm totally on her side in this case.

Posted by: JT | Apr 25, 2010 6:36:51 PM

8. I thought the Palin joke was pretty funny. If Tina Fey had said it, we'd all be rolling on the floor. I still despise Palin, however.

The Boom was doomed when The OC became the home of $14million beach houses. I have had so many great afternoons there (and the SS Friendship in SanMo) and it will always be a great memory. I hope they do a little something to keep the memory of the old days alive.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 25, 2010 11:12:23 PM

9. Derek : So many things/places get ruined when they get too wealthy, as you know. Sounds like yet another case.

Posted by: JT | Apr 26, 2010 12:32:28 AM

10. why is bimbo palin receiving so much attention? she, limbaugh, and coulter appeal to the least common denominator. little wonder that our prez has received triple the death threats of his predecessors. btw, what is funny about her comment? her voice grates on the nerves like an eldritch scream.

Posted by: nic | Apr 26, 2010 10:07:57 AM

11. @TANK,

being cryptic or lamely satirical doesn't make you appear smart. unless you can tie Kant and Davidson to the matter at hand, yours is simply cant.

Posted by: nic | Apr 26, 2010 10:15:01 AM

12. Dunno if this is the best forum to discuss Kant. LOL
    However, I would like to add that even Hawking's "aliens" would come up against the "can't" in Kant.

Everyone aspiring to a position of power, especially power over other people, should be required to acquaint themselves with the central premisses of "The Critique of Practical Reason" and its cosmic lesson in humility. As far as I'm concerned no one has ever really gotten beyond it. And Hegel can go fuck himself because he never really understood Kant. Just sayin'. :D

Posted by: romeo | Apr 26, 2010 12:21:31 PM

13. RE: Mississippi...obviously, God was angry with Itawamba High School.

Posted by: latebrosus | Apr 26, 2010 12:44:10 PM

14. I can not even begin to understand the gay dog case. So the Thai place misheard the guy say guide dog, and thought he was asking permission to bring in a dog that was gay. Then the Thai place bars the man from dining because they do not want any gay dogs inside. So then the court rules that they are discriminating and has to pay the guy? So are they being punished for hating gay dogs? Or because you cant discriminate against guide dogs?

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 26, 2010 1:09:41 PM

15. Hawking needn't have extended his example to other species, for clearly he understands things that 98% of the population can't. But it's not a matter of type (of mind), but degree. Degree doesn't rule out understanding in principle, but practice. Just like some people are smarter than others doesn't mean that, at least in principle, it's impossible to convey what they understand as it doesn't violate the types of minds we have, and thus the types of things such minds are capable of understanding and perceiving.

Kant thought our minds worked certain ways (categories of thinking), not to get too technical. He was right. Sentences or behaviors, observations or concepts that don't conform to the way our minds operate are meaningless to us. That is, it makes no difference to us whether they exist or not, and never will.

Quine proved that a proposition is meaningful if it is capable of being translated into another one (say, an observation of a desert landscape you make..to make sense of it, you translate that observation into your own language, same with having a conversation or reading people's behavior). He argued for a form of conceptual relativism. A conceptual scheme is the way we order and partition the universe. It enables us to distinguish between quarks, electrons, atoms, molecules, rivers, oceans, planets and galaxies. Quine proved that natural languages are conceptual schemes just like scientific theories. His student (who disagreed, which is the highest compliment a teacher can get) Donald Davidson gave us a thought experiment. Say we could translate an alien species' language, and further, that alien species could translate its language into another alien species's language, but we couldn't translate our language into that other language due to a radically different conceptual scheme. The appropriate response is to wonder whether or not we'd translated the first alien species language at all...because it doesn't look like we have. Therefore, those conceptual schemes are meaningless, and there is only one for us, anyway (and them).

Posted by: TANK | Apr 26, 2010 2:41:19 PM

16. Fenrox, blame it on the Australians. Incident happened in a Thai restaurant in Australia. I saw this story referenced elsewhere, and I still can't figure out what the beef was. Looks to me like the dog just has terrible taste in attire.

Oh, well. Phuket.

Posted by: romeo | Apr 26, 2010 2:41:59 PM

17. Interesting response, Tank, especially the middle paragraph.

Incidentally,Kant's "categories" have been backed up scientifically in recent research on the working of the human brain.

Bottom line, no matter how much we, or aliens, ever know, there will always be a mystery. And maybe that's for the best.

Posted by: romeo | Apr 26, 2010 3:27:48 PM