Couples | News | Russia | Vladimir Putin

Russian PM Vladimir Putin: President Medvedev and I are Not Gay

Putin

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, on a visit to Italy, responded to a reporter's question about his close relationship with Russian President Dmitri Medvedev, denying there was anything romantic about their "marriage."

The NYT reports:

During a visit to Italy, Mr. Putin mocked a question from an Italian reporter who wanted him to explain the secrets to success in a “political marriage.” Mr. Putin has led Russia jointly with Mr. Medvedev for the past two years, after term limits prevented Mr. Putin from running for a third consecutive term as president.

Mr. Putin said the question had been phrased “in a very literary way.”

“Mr. Medvedev and I are people of a traditional orientation,” Mr. Putin said. “I can tell you this with complete certainty. As for marital unions, you have exaggerated a bit. But we are friends, friends for many years, I have already said this. And the way that we have arranged our work today — it seems to me, we can be proud of this.”

Mr. Putin was speaking at a news conference with Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi of Italy, with whom he has long had a close (working) relationship.

When it was his turn to speak, Mr. Berlusconi added his own quip.

“I have experience in many areas: in urban planning, in publishing, in sports, in television, in public works,” Mr. Berlusconi said. “But I have not done so well with regards to marriage, so I will not begin to give advice.”

Of course, with their matchy outfits (these shots from a January 09 trip) and Putin's 'Brokeback' aspirations, they'd fit right in at Aspen Gay Ski Week.

Put

Comments

1. The world knows that Medvedev is Putin's political bitch. Putin still runs Russia via him, perhaps that's what lead to the confusion.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 27, 2010 9:57:45 AM

2. This sounds like a major case of language misunderstanding. :)

Posted by: Lis | Apr 27, 2010 10:08:36 AM

3. Aww, what a pity. They make such a cute couple!

Posted by: Hank | Apr 27, 2010 10:16:02 AM

4. ya know... I would LOVE to be a fly on THAT wall!!!

Posted by: stephen | Apr 27, 2010 10:17:57 AM

5. Too bad they're not a couple. And too bad they're Russian, not American. It would be so very nice to have a few politicians in this country I cold look at without shuddering.

Posted by: jomicur | Apr 27, 2010 10:49:00 AM

6. Romantic or not, they certainly compliment each other.

Posted by: niles | Apr 27, 2010 11:14:07 AM

7. From Putin's initial rise to power, I have just assumed he is the proverbial three ruble bill.

Don't know/care about Medvedev since he appears to do as he is told to do by Putin.

Posted by: esther blodgett | Apr 27, 2010 11:26:10 AM

8. Both are pleasing to the eyes and I wouldn't mind being between them. haha... But I'm also very pro-Putin for now. He has done an amazing job with restoring Russia. Putin also doesn't seem to mind homosexuals in contrast to other Russian politicians. When asked, his response in '07 was, "My approach toward gay parades and sexual minorities is very simple, it is directly linked to my responsibilities. One of the key problems of our country is the demographic problem.I respect the freedom of people in all respects."

Posted by: Vito | Apr 27, 2010 11:27:30 AM

9. @Esther: Putin is about as "nontraditional" as a three ruble bill. From Tsarist days and through the Soviet period, the 3 ruble bill was actually quite common. It was green (one ruble - tan, 5-rubles - blue, 10-rubles, red).

"nontraditional orientation" is how gays are referred to in Russian. I have not the slightest hint that Putin is actually gay or gay friendly. He's certainly let the Moscow mayor ride roughshod over gay rights. If you like authoritarians who stifle all kinds of civil rights, go ahead and like him. As to their coupledom, Russians sometimes refer to them as "Putvedev."

Posted by: Kevinvt | Apr 27, 2010 12:41:27 PM

10. Vito, you know nothing of russian politics or the russian economy. Putin is responsible for one of the harshest economic retractions since the fall of the USSR. He's the reason why the IMF is involved. He's a criminal.

Anyway, this is just admitting that he's gay/bi.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 27, 2010 1:43:15 PM

11. Putin is a thug. Former KGB, and only interested in maintaining a violent grip on power. He'd support or have killed anyone who could advance his goals.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 27, 2010 1:53:17 PM

12. Uhhhhh....

Vito, do you even understand what that means?

Posted by: BobN | Apr 27, 2010 2:41:26 PM